Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Nukkus

My Glorious Rebuild
Just finished my new rig. I call it "Heavy-Metal".

Corsair Vengeance C70
Intel i5 4690K cooled by Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME
16GB (4x4GB) Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333
Corsair TX750 PSU
Pioneer BDROM/DVDRW Combo
2x WD20EZRX 2TB
Kingston SV300S37A120G 120GB SSD

It's a freakin' beast so far, the fps hasn't dropped under 120 in GTAV on ultra.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0054.jpg (52.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Stevey Boy

Re: My Glorious Rebuild
Your RAM is slow and your CPU is 18 months old.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

GTAV isn't really a good game to "test" a new PC with.
The game is amazingly optimized and not demanding in the least. Of course you're going to get great frame rates and solid performance.

If you want to test your PC, you're going to need to really use some more demanding games... which means going to some older titles.
As funny as it is, Crysis (yes, from 2007) is still one of the better games to test a new system with. The sequels are far more optimized, but the first one can be pretty resource heavy.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 11-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Stevey Boy

Yeah I cant hit a consistent frame rate in the original
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Nukkus

Remind me never again to post in a forum full of asshats.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Where did that come from?
Wasn't being rude, was an honest statement. GTAV is amazingly well optimized and not an overly demanding game.

I was able to get silky smooth frame rates in GTAV on my old PC before I rebuilt. On an old Athlon II and a 750ti. What Rockstar did with the optimization on the game is great.

And Stevey's post wasn't rude either. He simply commented on the hardware you went with. 1333 is a slower Ram these days. Doesn't mean it's bad.
If you're really wanting to push your system and see what it can do, there are much better (in terms of demanding) games out there.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 11-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Stevey Boy

Yeah, just seemed strange that for a new build you went with old components.

Still, it's newer than my PC
Old 11-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Nukkus

Well pardon me, but everywhere i posted, I've had people crap all over my build because I didn't use the latest parts, or go 4k, or crap like that. I built it the way I wanted to, for 1080P gaming, and it runs effing good, thank you very much. Also faster ram would give me maybe what, 3% more performance? Not to mention this is THE best i5 for gaming.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukkus View Post
Well pardon me, but everywhere i posted, I've had people crap all over my build because I didn't use the latest parts, or go 4k, or crap like that. I built it the way I wanted to, for 1080P gaming, and it runs effing good, thank you very much. Also faster ram would give me maybe what, 3% more performance? Not to mention this is THE best i5 for gaming.
Agreed. If I ever wanted 4K or so, I'd be looking at one of those 5K iMacs if anything.
I doubt too many game publishers/developers would ever go much above 1080p anyway.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #10
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't matter what other people think. If you're happy with your build... then that's it. It's your build, your PC. For lack of a better phrase, "F*** everyone else's opinion".

Personally, when I rebuilt... I got told that my PC would be great if I had went with an SLI setup.
To which I respond with... 'Piss off'. SLI is a waste of money, PSU energy... pointless added heat to my PC. Also, I agree, 4K is not worth it.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #11
Jeff

Nice rig you've got there.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Kalki

Quote:
What's the opinion on the 6th gen i5-6600K which would go with DDR4 RAM? Too expensive? Bad performer? Or the middle ground where it's not yet worth the price to performance ratio when compared to your build?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
Nukkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
What's the opinion on the 6th gen i5-6600K which would go with DDR4 RAM? Too expensive? Bad performer? Or the middle ground where it's not yet worth the price to performance ratio when compared to your build?
If it's Skylake, beware. the substrate are snapping under the heatsink tension.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 AM   #14
Stevey Boy

Quote:
If it's Skylake, beware. the substrate are snapping under the heatsink tension.
That's just idiots overtightening their coolers.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Robman

The last and first time I tried SLi was with 2 xfx 8600gt cards and Quake4 actually ran worse than with 1 card.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #16
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

That's the most common thing I've heard/seen from SLI.

And when it does work, the performance benefits are not worth the added cost of another GPU. The extra draw on your CPU... and the added heat and by extension, added work to your cooling system.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Robman

I don't know if they've improved things since then but it sure didn't impress me.

I also think 1 good card is the way to go. Maybe if you didn't care about power consumption or cost and had a use for bragging rights and cuda cores then I suppose.

Not going to lie, the last card I bought was a XFX 9800GT, my "new-age" gaming has been put on hold due to lack of interest in the new stuff.
My desktop that I considered to have some horsepower was a q9550 with the 9800 and I don't even use it, lol.
(BTW a 8800/9800 was a pretty badass card )

I use my i5 laptop(intel gfx) connected to a 24" screen/kb-mouse for everything now, lol. Sad?
Last edited by Robman; 01-23-2016 at 06:38 PM.