Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #121
TerminX

Re: EDuke32 snapshot thread
Sure, if you use the def commands to turn external textures into 8-bit art tiles.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #122
NightFright

This is a really nice new feature, improving 2D editing mode quite a bit. TerminX is still full of surprises.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #123
DeeperThought

The new snapshot crashes whenever I try to start a game (it doesn't matter what map or mod, whether I use HRP, etc.) I'm using Vista. Anyone else have this problem? (the crashing, not the "problem" of using Vista ).

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #124
Spiker

This is why I never update to the latest versions instantly
Old 12-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #125
ilovefoxes
2D texturized, pretty impressive, huh?

Just one bug I found, floor aligned flat sprites are displayed;
Old 12-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #126
Usurper

I'd call that a feature rather than a bug.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #127
ilovefoxes
Sorry, I write it wrong. >_< Ceiling (not floor) aligned flat sprites. =P
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #128
Jamesfff
Just checked out the textured 2D mode in the latest Mapster32 Snapshot - it lokks good , but mapster crashes on me when I try to zoom while in textured 3d mode! Why is that?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #129
TerminX

It shouldn't crash. Need to know resolution, map, coordinates on map at time of crash, et cetera.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #130
Another Duke Fan

TerminX, would it be possible to expand the choice under the menu "Select An Episode"? The reason I am asking is because I am using the Kill-A-Ton grp, which has the Duke It Out in DC integrated and what I am currently getting to chose from under this menu could be seen in the attached pic, e.g. the Lunar Apocalypse episode is not being listed at all. Thank you man!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neues Bild.jpg (52.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #131
Hendricks266
I'm having a problem. This wall will not unmask:

cariberror1.png

I've checked, and the wall cstat is indeed 0.
--
Another Duke Fan:
You can have 7 episodes. However, if you're trying to integrate Duke D.C., keep in mind that the cutscene will not work unless it is episode 3.
Last edited by Hendricks266; 12-28-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #132
Another Duke Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
Another Duke Fan:
You can have 7 episodes. However, if you're trying to integrate Duke D.C., keep in mind that the cutscene will not work unless it is episode 3.
I am not trying to integrate anything. The Kill-A-Ton grp contains Duke D.C. and I am guessing, because of that, the Lunar Apocalypse episode does not appear in the episode choice menu. Would be cool if this can be fixed. If not, well, I can live with it as I have lived with it until now.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #133
TerminX

Recopy duke3d.grp from your CD and delete all CON files in your directory.

New snapshot: http://wiki.eduke32.com/stuff/eduke32_current.zip
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #134
Another Duke Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
Recopy duke3d.grp from your CD and delete all CON files in your directory.

New snapshot: http://wiki.eduke32.com/stuff/eduke32_current.zip
This sort of helped. I replaced the USER.CON with the original from the CD and it now shows all DN3D episodes, though without the Duke It Out in DC in the menu. If I delete either the USER, or the DEF cons there are many failures and the game can not run. If I delete the GAME con only, it runs fine, but still, the Lunar Apocalyse episode is missing in the menu. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #135
TerminX

You seem to have missed the first step of my instructions. Here, let me spell it out for you in a different way, as plain as can be: delete your pirated copy of Duke3D and reinstall from an original CD.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #136
NightFright

In order to make the obvious issue even more obvious:
EDuke32 is supposed to require "duke3d.grp" file only, for it contains all con files you need. If you need more files than that to run it, you are automatically outing yourself as a user of a modified groupfile (containing less cons than needed). This makes it highly likely (if not 100% certain) you are using pirated software.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #137
The Commander

Speaking of all this .grp files and Eduke32 knowing which it is, I won't run into any troubles when I completly strip and make my own .grp for Duke Theft Auto so that it is a stand alone mod. (not needing duke art,sounds ect or any duke3d.grp)

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #138
NightFright

I don't know how far you have to go before you can use a deconstructed duke3d.grp legally, but removing art & sounds is the least you have to do. The con files themselves are no problem, I guess, for they are edited in other mods, anyway.
But on the other hand, I think editing/decompiling duke3d.grp by itself is not recommended (in order to avoid speaking of "forbidden"). I would rather suggest compiling a whole new grp from scratch with tools like Roma Loom's excellent GRPViewer or the like.
Last edited by NightFright; 12-30-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #139
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFright View Post
I don't know how far you have to go before you can use a deconstructed duke3d.grp legally, but removing art & sounds is the least you have to do. The con files themselves are no problem, I guess, for they are edited in other mods, anyway.
But on the other hand, I think editing/decompiling duke3d.grp by itself is not recommended (in order to avoid speaking of "forbidden"). I would rather suggest compiling a whole new grp from scratch with tools like Roma Loom's excellent GRPViewer or the like.
I remove everything out of the duke3d.grp using GrpStudio.
It really would't matter if you made one from scratch or modified your original one because they both end up the same. But im pretty sure to be able to use the file legaly as a stand alone mod it would have to contain no Duke 3D original maps, art and sound, and those crapy animations. Im not sure on the PALs though.

This is getting off topic now, ill shutup now.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #140
The Stinger
I don't think you can use the .dat files, unless you made your own version of pallette.dat.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #141
Crackadial
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum, so don't beat me too hard if I really should have posted to another thread.

Did anyone notice that starting with the Dec.26 build, the Assault Commanders and mini-bosses don't just die -- their bodies slide across the floor. The mini-boss stops at obstacles, whereas the dead commander bounces off them like a ball. And you can stumble upon him. Not sure whether it's a feature or a realistic enhancement
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #142
TerminX

Sounds more like a bug... wtf? Ugh, I'll fix it. Thanks for the report.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #143
TerminX

Correction for major bug: http://wiki.eduke32.com/stuff/eduke32_current.zip
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #144
NightFright

Remarkable. I was just playing VacaHRP when noticing this issue. Thought it had to do with messed-up code in that highres pack. Would have never believed it came from EDuke32 by itself. But well, it's fixed now, anyway, so praise again to T-X!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #145
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefoxes View Post
Sorry, I write it wrong. >_< Ceiling (not floor) aligned flat sprites. =P
Uh ceiling/floor aligned sprites are the exact same things. A ceiling aligned sprite is just a floor aligned sprite that has been risen all the way up to the ceiling. Or a floor aligned sprite is a ceiling aligned sprite that has been lowered all the way down to the floor. Whichever explanation you prefer!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #146
Jblade

Just chiming in to say this feature is the shit and will make editing in the future so much better/more entertaining. Thanks for it TerminX!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #147
TerminX

Here's a test build: http://wiki.eduke32.com/crap/eduke32_test.rar

This is not a new snapshot; it's a test version with some experimental changes to the CON parser which I'm trying out. Please report any compilation failures, weird behavior in-game or EDuke32 VM crashes. I specifically need testing with older mods or those with sloppy code. Thanks.
Last edited by TerminX; 01-05-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #148
TerminX

Updated the test build.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #149
The Commander

Downloading again then.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #150
TerminX

Updated the test build again. Now with faster startup times!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #151
The Commander

Quote:
Sure, if you use the def commands to turn external textures into 8-bit art tiles.
How is this done?
Its not documented in the wiki, I really need to add the animtilerange command to the wiki as well. So if I knew the one for turning external textures into 8bit, I could take out two birds with one stone as they say.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #152
TerminX

tilefromtexture SECTOREFFECTOR { file "sectoreffector.png" yoffset -10 }
Old 01-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #153
TerminX

New feature in prototype stages: structure members may be accessed for reading (not writing) through any commands which read from gamevars.

Works like this:

Code:
ifvare sprite[THISACTOR].extra 150
    quote 100
I also plan on extending this to handle grabbing the values of per-actor gamevars from other actors, like this:

Code:
ifvare actorvar[someactor].asses 3
    state illegaldonkeyshow
Builds with this feature should be available for testing sometime within the next few days. Also to be present in future builds is support for a "return" keyword, which operates similarly to "break" but allows you to completely stop an actor's execution from inside of a while loop, state, switch, et cetera. It's pretty much the same as having a "break" in your actor code, it just allows you to do so from within states the actor calls or loops/switches the actor processes.

Comments?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #154
The Commander

It's sounding like it could be very usefull.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #155
DeeperThought

Quote:
Comments?
That would have saved me a lot of typing had it existed before. It was annoying and time consuming to have to put structure members into gamevars before being able to check them. If it actually speeds things up at runtime, I will probably go back and change a lot of my code to use it.

It would also be nice to be able to change the values of struct members and the vars of other actors without the extra step of getting them into gamevars.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #156
The Stinger
New build works tons better than the last build I used, I thought it was the 15 dec 2008 build. Anyway, no lag or choppy movement. Though I encountered "Out of sync" 2 times on a 2 player game.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #157
240-185

Oh, I forgot to mention a nasty bug in eduke32.

I have an Xbox 360 controller. This pad has 3 axes: XY axis, Z axis and another XY axis.

In "Joystick Setup", after I set an action for the Z axis which is on the third page, the "Keyboard setup" page opens, so I must quit the "Keyboard Setup", go to the "Joystick Setup", go to the "Edit Axes" section, navigate once again to the third page, set another action to the other direction, and being brought back to the "Keyboard Setup"...
Like a toy, the black dinosaur walked towards a pr0n movie theatre, a pr0n library, a night club, a prison, a factory, San Andrea's fault, and finally meeting a Chain Chomp, said: "Look at me, I have domesticated these Liztroops!"
Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #158
Hendricks266
That should make ripping code out of the source easier.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #159
Mikko Sandt

Is there any way to disable the super-annoying, made-to-piss-mappers-off feature that allows you to look up & down (a & z) while holding ctrl?
The West is not simply better than non-Western cultures, it is vastly, fundamentally better. Hellenic culture is the only truly human civilization, the only one for which human reason, not animal stultification, is the ideal. –Greg Swann
http://m-sandt.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #160
TerminX

Yeah, I'll comment it out. I don't think it does anything of use, since we've had mouselook support for so long now.