Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #81
Marty

Re: Prey 2 discussion thread
i actually love the bar scene, its creepy, interactive and immersive. i dont know how other gamers would find it but i would like a longer beginning where things gradually get strange until shit finally hits the fan. becuase Tommy had no freakin idea what was going on, thats what made it so freaky. i wonder how a sequel could capture that same "what the hell is going on!" experience.

...also, although many people are expecting new powers and tricks for Tommy to use, and im sure thats what we're going to get, i'm kinda not hoping for a "Prey 2: New Gimmicks". I'd be happy with seeing powers like spirit walk pushed even further. For instance, a level where Tommy is completely stranded in a location, all his weapons are gone and he needs to get past a large obstacle of some sort (eg. a cliff side). the spirit walk presents some tricky passages and is also the only way to eliminate enemies, preferably using stealth.
Last edited by Nacho; 01-25-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #82
Malgon

Reading interviews now...

I'd like to see where they will take the next game in terms of environment, and more importantly story wise. Methinks it'll be quite a while until any real news surfaces.
Last edited by Malgon; 02-01-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #83
Nihilanth

It might have been mentioned before, but here's what I'd like to see in Prey 2 (which I am really looking forward to btw ):

a) Less linear levels (DOOM1/2/DN3D-style, nothing more)
b) *More extensive use of portals
*Spatial Anomaly in The Complex - more stuff like this, please
c) More puzzles like Cube in The Complex
d) No isolated-arena run-and-shot-until-it's-dead boss battles
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #84
Maniac536
Hey I liked D!

And as for A, level styles like that just make you have to keep reading a walkthrough to find your way through it. It's just not fun for me.

-Maniac

Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #85
Snowy

One other thing I'd like to see, is more "friendly's" like when you were fighting with the other Native American's... I think it would add some more depth to the game, rather than just Tommy going around, which was still fun, but some more team play could be a bit fun

And as somebody else mentioned, Stealth, or turning invisible would be quite cool, the only thing that I would ask, is that you make it some what "halo-like", and not just make the person transparent... I think the glossy look of Halo's invisibility looks very good.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #86
Smoke Tetsu

The teamplay thing would be especially cool if you could do that with others in a coop gameplay mode.

I guess stealth can be OK but I don't know if I'm alone in this but I hate when FPS have stealth missions where as soon as the first bad guy sees you it's game over... reload. I especially hated levels like the one in RTCW where if they spot you they sound the sirens and it says mission failed. I find things like that tedious more than fun.
Last edited by Smoke Tetsu; 02-03-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #87
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannak View Post
--and lastly, drop the Hollywoodish ingame soundtrack from the 1st game and have something more fluid....
We felt that the soundtrack to Prey was one of the STRONGEST things in the game. Most games are headed this way - expect to see a lot MORE of this stuff, not less. Also, the same guy who did Prey's music did the music for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
i actually love the bar scene, its creepy, interactive and immersive.
As many times as I had to play through Prey in testing, the opening bar scene was still a great one, I frequently would still sit there and watch it instead of letting it play out while I did something else. The Blue Oyster Cult touch was brilliant, too. Cost some bucks in music licensing (no I don't know the exact $, just know it was expensive), but it was worth it. Worked perfectly.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #88
hiob

^Agreed completely. Soundtrack is among the best I heard so far in a computer game and the bar scene was worth every single dollar of licensed music.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #89
John

I agree Joe, the bar scene is really immersive and my favorite part of the game. It was so great how Don't Fear the Reaper came blasting when the fight scene occured.

Let not mankind bogart love.
[A pessimist is what an optimist defines as a realist.]
Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #90
Jigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannak View Post
--and lastly, drop the Hollywoodish ingame soundtrack from the 1st game and have something more fluid....
Negative!

I loved Prey's soundtrack, especially the overture. Best game music to come out of last years titles, IMO.

Personally, I'd like to see the length of the game extended quite a bit, and more emphasis put on portal and wall walking puzzles. Enemy AI could be tightened up a bit.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #91
Smoke Tetsu

I just completed the game and I liked everything about it. I can't think of anything that I would want to remove I'd only want for Prey 2 to add not subtract. From what I have read so far on what they are doing with Prey 2 it can only be better although this game was no slouch. Even if it was just more of the same it would be good but I think they are doing more than that. I can't wait to continue the story.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #92
Dead Meat
Prey 2 should be more open-ended, the levels should be bigger and more diverse.

The weapons should be more original and practical.

AI needs to be improved.

Enemies need to be more interesting.

Gameplay should be better.

Story should be more original and engaging.

and last ... Tommy should STFU imo.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #93
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
We felt that the soundtrack to Prey was one of the STRONGEST things in the game. Most games are headed this way - expect to see a lot MORE of this stuff, not less.
Yep, would like to see more of it in Prey 2 / 3D Realms' next.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #94
Smoke Tetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Meat View Post
Prey 2 should be more open-ended, the levels should be bigger and more diverse.

The weapons should be more original and practical.

AI needs to be improved.

Enemies need to be more interesting.

Gameplay should be better.

Story should be more original and engaging.

and last ... Tommy should STFU imo.
I agree that it could be more open ended with bigger more diverse levels and perhaps the AI could be worked on more. But as for the rest that's just your opinion which others.. like me don't share.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #95
Tommy

Prey 2 quick question
Do you think they will be using the doom 3 engine for prey 2 or do you think they will go all out and use the unreal 3 engine like everyone seems to be doing now. My concern is simply understanding what kind of requirments this game might possibly have pc wise.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #96
vcatkiller

I'm taking issue to the "Gameplay should be better" thing. What's wrong with the gameplay? That's like saying "I didn't like it 'cos it's bad".

Oh and I liked the Tommy speak btw. It's a refreshing breath of fresh air to hear what our hero is thinking...needs to be back in Prey 2.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #97
predefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcatkiller View Post
I'm taking issue to the "Gameplay should be better" thing. What's wrong with the gameplay? .
No, the question is what can be better, improved for gameplay and you can be sure the devs already brainstormed about that alot. Somethings always's wrong in the sense of room for improvement!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #98
Foxy
Re: Prey 2 quick question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Do you think they will be using the doom 3 engine for prey 2 or do you think they will go all out and use the unreal 3 engine like everyone seems to be doing now. My concern is simply understanding what kind of requirments this game might possibly have pc wise.

AFAIK it's a total unknown. Don't try to upgrade for it this early.
Last edited by Nacho; 02-19-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #99
vcatkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by predefined View Post
No, the question is what can be better, improved for gameplay and you can be sure the devs already brainstormed about that alot. Somethings always's wrong in the sense of room for improvement!
Yes, but he said "gameplay should be better". Better than what? He didn't exactly show what areas of gameplay he wanted improving, or what level it was at, he just said "gameplay should be better".

It's like giving someone an item with no price tag and telling them to increase the price by 10%. The word "Better" is not a good description when stating what could be improved. "Gameplay could be made better by increasing running speed to meteoric and giving Tommy a BFG with infinite ammo" is a better way. (not that I want that btw :P)
Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #100
hanged_man

Better AI is a must, the game visuals and concept is amazing but it lacked action, the enemies were real easy and not challenging at all. and one more thing, more gore. Real gory stuff (shamefuly most games are not that gory)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #101
KaiserSoze

Human Head not doing Prey 2?
Looks like this is breaking news with Human Head Studios working with Marc Ecko Entertainment to make a game for him(his company).

Now I don't *think* 3drealms has announced Human Head would be back to develop Prey 2 but I would think they were in the running or get first crack at doing the sequel.

Wonder if this in any ways impacts any potential development they may do or are currently doing with Prey 2.

Here's the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73290

Mark did say that he loved "Prey" and it's one of the reasons he went with Human Head.

George? Scott? Joe?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #102
Kristian Joensen

Re: Human Head not doing Prey 2?
Well HH HAS worked on two games at a time before, hopefully that is the case then.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #103
Talos

As I posted in an "other gaming discussions" thread... oh snap:

on the other hand I think the development on prey 2 has nothing to do with the ecko stuff.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #104
mr. pinky demon

Lets hope prey 2 actually has better everything than prey.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #105
Babe

Well first of all, not as short as Prey .
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #106
Nacho

Human Head confirmed Prey 2 was in development.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #107
Marty

I'd also like to see more humor. you know, take the piss out of aliens, make them appear more stupid than they get credit for. but hey, dont sacrifice good AI, instead implement it the second time you visit the bar was a nice example of good humor. am i going too far to suggest make an "anal probe" reference?

secondly, let me add more 2 cents worth... the scenery or environment needs to be changed dramatically through different stages of the game to suit the situation. there were alot of similar looking textures used throughout Prey and I thought most rooms, although served a completely different purpose, looked the same. I kind of like the feel of progressing from one scenario to another and gradually seeing the art change. (ie, HL2 good example of this, particularly Havenholm).
I know an art team can only do so much, but i do recall seeing those "shrink wrapped" human figures too many times and sometimes in places where it didnt quite suit.
i'd personally also like to see more assembling metal into rooms/objects scenes, they looked friggin awesome.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #108
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
AFAIK it's a total unknown. Don't try to upgrade for it this early.

Human Head is hiring and in one of their job ads for a programmer they say they are looking for people with experience in Doom 3 technology.

But I bet they aren't using the vanilla Doom 3 Engine. They are probably using id's next engine.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #109
Foxy
What would Ecko's gang bring to Prey 2? It's prob. some deal for a shitty game HH took on for quick buxxx. They've done it before.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #110
ultra tree 85!

This is interesting, I always thought that Human Head would spend all of their time on Prey 2 from now on. I guess it won't make a difference, though, because during Prey 1's development, they released some other stuff, too.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #111
JobivanHiob

What other stuff did HH released during Prey's dev?? The only game i remember of is Rune in 2000/2001 - i love this game especially in multiplayer.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #112
ultra tree 85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
What other stuff did HH released during Prey's dev?? The only game i remember of is Rune in 2000/2001 - i love this game especially in multiplayer.
They released Dead Man's Hand for pc and xbox in 2004, and Rune: Halls of Valhalla was released late in 2001, and they had already been working with
3D Realms on Prey for several months at that point.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/compan..._clk=gssummary
Last edited by ultra tree 85!; 02-26-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #113
ultra tree 85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Human Head is hiring and in one of their job ads for a programmer they say they are looking for people with experience in Doom 3 technology.

But I bet they aren't using the vanilla Doom 3 Engine. They are probably using id's next engine.
That would be cool! Can't wait to see Prey 2.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #114
Antosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post

i hope

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #115
MakronMan

what if they decide to use the dnf engine, if that image was what the game looks like prey 2 would look awsome!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #116
Nacho

They won't.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 AM   #117
Vivi

A company can work on two games at once. GASP!

Check out my band - http://www.myspace.com/dyingiseasy
Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #118
Antosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakronMan View Post
what if they decide to use the dnf engine, if that image was what the game looks like prey 2 would look awsome!
it's true , i like this .

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #119
Snowy

I liked the "death walking", but I though shooting the same red and blue flying demons was a little repetitive, maybe a few more of these mini-games to change it up a bit.
I also really like the look of the rocket launcher, I think it was the "sexiest" weapon in the game, I hope you decide to keep it looking some-what the same
Old 03-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #120
Nacho

I'd like to see a town during the alien invasion.

Seeing the Lost City user map really made me realize how badass that would be.