Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #81
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Prey: Videogame Music Finally Grows Up
If we allowed everyone input into what they thought should be in the jukebox, the game would be a couple hundred gigs big.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 AM   #82
SuicideRUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
If we allowed everyone input into what they thought should be in the jukebox, the game would be a couple hundred gigs big.
Yeah, but Prey would go down in the history books as having the best soundtrack ever!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #83
Nathrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideRUN
Yeah, but Prey would go down in the history books as having the best soundtrack ever!
You mean it doesn't have that already?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 AM   #84
d3ad connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Thank god for modding
Old 07-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #85
Mannak
I guess that i'm the only one here that thinks that the ingame music sucks (except for the jukebox)....
Last edited by Mannak; 07-16-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 AM   #86
CosmicD
Well, yeah, I got the creeps even more with several scenes just because of the music that evoked the feeling some more, and it's scored well and sometimes very creepy, touching and mysterious.

But well I must say at least 2 people have made a score this worthy to recent games.

Listen to the dreamfall soundtrack, it's very classical, moody and warm at the same time ..(i dont want to spam but if you place certain well placed search terms in google you'll get to read a review, or (maybe a bit more technical and raw), the soundtrack of tomb raider...
Old 07-16-2006, 01:29 AM   #87
Mannak
Well my point is that games need to stop sounding like Hollywood and go back to the keyboards/symphizers....(The Orchestrated music didn't fit Prey's
atmisphere overall)

BTW, does anybody here have the original soundtrack for Prey from 1998?

and here's real ingame music just incase your wondering

http://www.cellar-dweller.org/music.html
Old 07-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #88
CosmicD
maybe it should be both ? I mean, a musician should be having the flexibility to have symphonic orchestra mixed with synthesiser.

Again I reffer to dreamfall, where the epic story telling is accompanied with not only symphonic, but also pop songs and some industrial music and even piano balads.

Well, I guess you gotto love it, and I like the holywood style music. For some games it will be over the top but if the quality of the game is cinematic then it shouldn't be experienced as off beat just because we've always used to games being accompanied with opl3 chips .
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #89
Denz

I encourage anyone to listen to other music of the Soule. Especially the intro music of total annihilation, it's an awesome music.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 AM   #90
HaZe303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannak
Well my point is that games need to stop sounding like Hollywood and go back to the keyboards/symphizers....(The Orchestrated music didn't fit Prey's
atmisphere overall)

BTW, does anybody here have the original soundtrack for Prey from 1998?

and here's real ingame music just incase your wondering

http://www.cellar-dweller.org/music.html
Well i listened to some of the music in that link... and i have to say... thank god they didnt have youre music taste!!! Tekno/Synth music fits well in games like UT2004 or WipeOut... but not in FPS singleplayer games... or any other action/horror/thriller game... It doesnt fit well... I like the classical (hollywood) style of music theyve chosen for prey, and id wish more devīs would do that. The age of commodore64 is dead, if you want that type of music you can play c64,nes,snes and such games...

Old 07-31-2006, 02:58 AM   #91
0marTheZealot

I thought the music was pretty fitting most of the time. Although it tries to be a bit too Hollywoody, it's a well done soundtrack that has some nice tunes that fit the mood/setting.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 AM   #92
Justintiime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
Don't Fear The Reaper however was a masterstroke of epic proportions.
That song fit the game, and the whole abduction in the beginning so good. I was amazed....I knew this game was going to kick all kinds of ass!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #93
efg

I have to say,when Blue Oyster Cult kicked in during the abduction, I was blown away. It was such a great mood setter, and really gave you an ominous presence.

Great job guys, I thought Prey was just going to be another shooter, but I was completely blown away.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #94
Xenomrph
I love the Prey soundtrack, so I bought it.
Problem is, I can't get it to work. I run the little file that should let me play it/burn it to a CD/whatever, and I get this problem:

Quote:
The DirectSong server could not be reached.
Please check your internet connection and try again.
Error Message - 11010 [ ip req timed out ] - This error means that you either have lost your internet connection or that you are behind a firewall.
The thing is, I'm not running a firewall (hardware or software). I've even tried downloading the soundtrack on a friend's PC just so I could burn it to a CD and got the same problem.

I tried Emailing DirectSong a few times and got no response, and I checked their technical support stuff and it didn't help at all.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #95
Stedmister
I know it's old but anyone know where i can find this?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #96
dan2091

Here https://www.directsong.com/index.php

There are no physical copies, just downloads. Two volumes. Only heard the first one, mainly cause it came with my limited edition. Never purchased volume two, even if vol. 1 was awesome.

Try to get a limited edition (new not used) and you'll get vol. 1 for free.