Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #41
Plagman

Re: EDuke32 snapshot thread
Can you send me that map?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
8IronBob

Just got around to EDuke32, far better than what JonoF came up with. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him concede to this port. However, I'm quite surprised how well this port works. Almost gives it that "Half-Life meets Duke 3D" approach.
Good job. Can't wait for an x64 port from you soon for this, if Duke 3D can even be upgraded to 64-bit... At least there is backwards compatibility that Vista can recognize here, unlike the DOS versions of the game.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #43
MusicallyInspired

Heh, if it weren't for JonoF EDuke32 wouldn't be what it is now since EDuke32 is based on it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #44
8IronBob

Dunno if George or Joe have made it known that for a Windows port, I'm hoping that they can make this their official Windows port, tho. After all, I believe that instead of JonoF releasing his own port, he probably may wind up teaming up with the EDuke32 project on an OEM basis, since this one seems to be getting more popularity.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #45
Mr.Fibbles

JonoF has RealLife. . .that is why there are no official updates from him.

I remember hearing once here that JonoF does (or did) send updates of the source to TerminX et al.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #46
ilovefoxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
Can you send me that map?
That always happen in any map. For example, RedRock has a big factory with various sprites that are seem through paralaxed ceiling.

===//===//===

Is there possible to set invisible sprites (cstat 32768) visible in Mapster?
Last edited by ilovefoxes; 12-04-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #47
Qbix
DOSBox Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Good job. Can't wait for an x64 port from you soon for this, if Duke 3D can even be upgraded to 64-bit... At least there is backwards compatibility that Vista can recognize here, unlike the DOS versions of the game.
It is already 64 bit for linux.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #48
Sobek

A little while back in Mapster32 I noticed that especially elongated lines started turning blue. Is this to signify that the single line is becoming too large and risks causing problems?

Just curious.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #49
Spiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
A little while back in Mapster32 I noticed that especially elongated lines started turning blue. Is this to signify that the single line is becoming too large and risks causing problems?

Just curious.
Exactly.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #50
The Commander

Yup, Its a good feature isnt it.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #51
johndough

The shrinker isn't working in the 11 25 snapshot.
I try to shoot it, it acts like its firing and the sound plays, but no projectile comes out.
I'm not running any mods, it's just eduke.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #52
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndough View Post
The shrinker isn't working in the 11 25 snapshot.
I try to shoot it, it acts like its firing and the sound plays, but no projectile comes out.
I'm not running any mods, it's just eduke.
You are not the only one to experince this,

http://dukerepository.com/forum/inde...5.html#msg4905

I can't seem to reproduce it at all. It only happens if I load a saved game from the person who is experancing the bug.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #53
LeoD

Same problem here. Shrinker stops working after reloading a saved game. Happens with HRP/DukePlus as well as with plain eduke32.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #54
Lord Misfit

Also confirmed on the Shrinker bug w/ reloading saved games over here.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #55
johndough

I seem to have gotten an Octabrain stuck on the other side of the wall or something.
And there is a weird floating projectile stuck in the wall.
Also, can anybody tell me what secret I'm missing?
http://www.mediafire.com/?bgjiu2yhm02
Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #56
Sobek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
Yup, Its a good feature isnt it.
Damn right it is. That's an extremely handy feature
Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #57
Vinsane

Only 2 minor things I've encountered- First noticed the letter "R" in large font size as in the main menu windows. It is replaced with an icon like charactor. Second, the joystick axis are mis-placed. X&Y (axis 1-2) should be on the first setup window which was the default for moving & turning, and the Z axis (3) should be in the next window and was the default function for strafe. Now the Z axis is shown on top in first window. This I noticed when I started playing, my joystick was all mixed up. But I soon set it right when I figured out what was up. Other than that, all is fast and furious!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #58
Thedutchjelle
I am sorry if this thread isn't made for this, but I didn't want to make a new one for just one small problem:

Is it true that EDuke32 shows map brighter (on all default settings) than Mapster32 on Brightness level 1? My map seems brighter ingame than in Mapster, but I don't know if it's just me >_>

(I'm not using that most recent EDuke fyi, just the one before this snapshot)
Old 12-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #59
ilovefoxes
Open the mapster32.cfg in a text editor and find the brightness line.

===//===//===

Mapster32 recently used to crash and take bailing out error (and a lot of "Error: Sprite XXX with ilegal statnum -1" when I copy a sector but I don't know if it is related) so I started to test how could I override it. And I ended up isolating the sector with just a possessed sprite.

It crash Mapster, but if you delete that sprite (that I can't see during gameplay) it works fine. Not as if this will trouble me anymore, but if it helps to the developers to know it...

Edit: now I noticed this sprite used to be a flat sprite "ceiling side" wrongly placed in the floor z, so it cannot ever be seem.

Edit 2: lol I just got ride of that sector and created a new one. It (sectnum 5) got used to a lot of strange effects; The first one is that in the attached file; So after it the map got used to not crash, but it happened again. When I look, there was a sprite with lotag 65535, hitag 65535 and z -1. So I fixed it; When I look again another sprite was with a angle of -1; so I don't know why "-1" had became onipresent.
Attached Files
File Type: zip possesed.zip (305 Bytes, 1 views)
Last edited by ilovefoxes; 12-13-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #61
Another Duke Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
Tested. Best loading time + perfect cache management = very smooth and enjoyable gameplay as never before. Thank you TX!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #62
LeoD

The non-working shrinker after reloading persists. (Startet with just eduke32.exe and DUKE3D.grp in the directory) Maybe it's machine dependent, so here are my specs:
WinXP Pro 32Bit SP3 German, all patches installed.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Toledo 3800+
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 / ForceWare 175.19
directx_nov2008_redist.exe
Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #63
Spiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Duke Fan View Post
Tested. Best loading time + perfect cache management = very smooth and enjoyable gameplay as never before. Thank you TX!
Yes, it loads faster now, and playing is smoother
Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #64
NightFright

One minor suggestion for cosmetic improvement:
Maybe make the new progress bar on loading screen so that it is displayed behind the "XXX Resources Remaining" text, perhaps even make a transparent (darker colored) box with the (centered) text in which the progress bar... errr... progresses. *LOL* Otherwise (i.e. technically), excellent as always.

*EDIT*
Two issues:
- Animation framerate seems to be slower/reduced. Shotgun reload plays longer, lights flashing slower etc. Dunno if it's snapshot-related or due to my settings.
- As reported above, Shrinker is rendered inoperable after first reload. I.e.: You are firing, but nothing happens.
[My system: Intel P4/3.0 GHz HT, 2GB RAM / XP SP3 fully patched / nvidia GF 7800GS+ (512MB) / nvidia ForceWare v178.24]
Last edited by NightFright; 12-14-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #65
TerminX

I'm looking into the shrinker bug now. I couldn't reproduce it at all before, but now I can, so I expect to fix it soon. The animation differences are because animation smoothing is enabled by default for all models now (which is why dying liztroops don't have huge gaps in their anims anymore, et cetera). As for the shotgun, I don't really see how someone can notice that it's "slower" without noticing it looks like it has 50 frames of animation now versus about 4.

Edit: you guys should download the newest snapshot again. The shrinker bug is fixed. Judging by what the problem was, I don't see how this hasn't occurred for most users for the past year or more!
Last edited by TerminX; 12-14-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #66
Hendricks266
What was the problem?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #67
TerminX

Pointers to weapon properties were being refreshed too early in the savegame load process. This bug should have been happening ever since I switched gamevars over to dynamic memory allocation, which was at least a year ago...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #68
LeoD

Sorry to say that: the bug is not fixed for me.
eduke32.exe 1594368 bytes, 2008-12-14 14:04
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #69
Forge
I have re-downloaded the snapshot.

Update to the shrinker problem. It still exists.

I've noticed that the shrinker works until a save game is loaded. Even prior to acquiring a map located one. As in:
If there is a shrinker in the map that has not been acquired but a game has been saved and loaded (i.e. either the game is quit and restarted -or- Duke dies and the last save game is loaded) the shrinker will not work. Even upon immediately getting it.

If the shrinker is acquired before a saved game has been loaded, then the shrinker works, until the game is saved and loaded.

You can save all day long and the shrinker will work, but as soon as a save is loaded the shrinker won't work, even if you haven't got it yet.

Note: If there is no shrinker in the map you can load and save all day long and then acquired a shrinker with dnstuff and it will work. But as soon as you save and load the game the cheat acquired shrinker will stop working. If you already have a shrinker in your inventory, dnstuff will not make the shrinker start working, it stays broke.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #70
Mr.Fibbles

hmm, all this talk about the shrinker makes me want to test it to see if you guys have some messed up issues. . .

I will report back soon on that one.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #71
Vinsane

Also miss the use of the Duke Plus alt fire "Mind Blast" mode for the shrinker as well. Gonna see if the fixed version of the new snapshot brings it back.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #72
Mr.Fibbles

I can confirm: The Shrinker does not have a projectile when I reload a saved game with the Shrinker in my possession.
I did not check to see if the projectile is even present in the game after the load(ie if it works) but I can't see it.
This is really strange.

I will now check 8bit.

edit: The expander ammo shows up in the game. 8-bit is no different. And I noticed that the projectile never shows up or effects anything in the game world but it does count as a fire (I ran out of ammo )
Last edited by Mr.Fibbles; 12-14-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #73
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsane View Post
Also miss the use of the Duke Plus alt fire "Mind Blast" mode for the shrinker as well. Gonna see if the fixed version of the new snapshot brings it back.
The shrinker projectile fails to fire after loading a saved game, and the mind blast uses the same projectile, so no.

I posted a hack that fixes the problem for Duke Plus in this thread: http://dukerepository.com/forum/inde...=8.msg5414#new

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #74
TerminX

Weird, it was fixed for me when I posted the new snapshot (and I had identified a potential cause of the problem/added debug output to verify the fix) but now it's broken again. Ugh.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #75
Vinsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
The shrinker projectile fails to fire after loading a saved game, and the mind blast uses the same projectile, so no.

I posted a hack that fixes the problem for Duke Plus in this thread: http://dukerepository.com/forum/inde...=8.msg5414#new
I didn't see the con file there or is it the one found in the latest Duke Plus rar file from yesterday? Also this warning in the log file...
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON: In event `EVENT_PROCESSINPUT':
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:28995: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:29003: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
Weird, it was fixed for me when I posted the new snapshot (and I had identified a potential cause of the problem/added debug output to verify the fix) but now it's broken again. Ugh.
Sorry, still no shrinker, but at the same time the shrinker broke, a texture of some sort replaced a font! Sounds dumb, but could it have any relation to the shrinker problem? This too started with the first EDuke32 'current snapshot' zip and didn't go away after installing the very latest one. I don't care about it at all if it's there or not, but it's weird...Only the letter R!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duke0002.jpg (177.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #76
The Commander

Quote:
I didn't see the con file there or is it the one found in the latest Duke Plus rar file from yesterday? Also this warning in the log file...
You need to be signed up to the DNR fourms to download the attachment, DT might not have been aware of that at the time.

Quote:
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON: In event `EVENT_PROCESSINPUT':
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:28995: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:29003: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
What does that mean?
They are just warnings, it isnt harming or effecting gameplay.

Quote:
Sorry, still no shrinker, but at the same time the shrinker broke, a texture of some sort replaced a font! Sounds dumb, but could it have any relation to the shrinker problem? This too started with the first EDuke32 'current snapshot' zip and didn't go away after installing the very latest one. I don't care about it at all if it's there or not, but it's weird...Only the letter R!
Try deleting the "textures" file and the "texchache" (waste of space if its there) folder if it still exists. That should fix the R problem.

EDIT: I have attached the Duke Plus Shrinker Hack Fix to this post so you don't need to sign up to DNR.
Attached Files
File Type: rar DPSHRINKHACK.rar (79.1 KB, 1 views)

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Last edited by The Commander; 12-15-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #77
NightFright

Unfortunately, I cannot quite tell since when the Shrinker problem exists in the snapshots. I haven't been playing the game for a long time till now for another maphacks check before next HRP release. However, I am sure TerminX will locate the glitch soon and termin-8 it.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #78
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFright View Post
I am sure TerminX will locate the glitch soon and termin-8 it.
Or he will make us all his bitch.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #79
Qbix
DOSBox Advisor

TerminX
Code:
    dfwrite(&ProjectileData[0],sizeof(projectile_t),MAXTILES,fil);
    dfwrite(&DefaultProjectileData[0],sizeof(projectile_t),MAXTILES,fil);
(savegame.c 786 787 trigger) uninitialized data errors in valgrind. Don't think it breaks anything though.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #80
TerminX

Finally found the real source of the shrinker bug, after several hours of annoyance. http://wiki.eduke32.com/stuff/eduke32_current.zip

Typo in a text string that gets parsed at runtime + lack of bounds checking in a particular function = bad memory access that makes no sense at first look.