Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Blogs > (Survival)Gaming and Rants
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Silent Hill Is Done

Submit "Silent Hill Is Done" to Digg Submit "Silent Hill Is Done" to del.icio.us Submit "Silent Hill Is Done" to StumbleUpon Submit "Silent Hill Is Done" to Google
Posted 01-29-2009 at 07:40 AM by December Man
Updated 01-29-2009 at 07:43 AM by December Man

Having played Homecoming and thinking it's better than 4 and 0rigins, but not than the first three, I came to the conclusion that SH is done. Homecoming is a good enough game to be a solid conclusion to the series.

Having said that, I think SH should've ended on the third game. Not that the other three are bad, but they are not quite up to par with the original trilogy. The series started getting milked after the 3rd. Team Silent(the creators of SH), tried to change things with the 4th one, but failed, so ultimately they left the series to western developers. They probably thought that fresh blood would have some fresh ideas to come with it. Unfortunately, both Climax(SH: Origins) and Double Helix(Homecoming) were so afraid to change something significantly in the games, that they ended up with minor upgrades to the gameplay mechanics.

Personally, I think that even adding stuff like makeshift weapons etc. etc. won't save the series. Why? Because everything this old fog had to show has already been shown and some of it was overused to death. There is absolutely nothing this game can surprise me with, or any of the fans for that matter and simply changing how the camera works, upgrading combat a little(like Homecoming) won't touch the sole culprit of the stagnation of the series - the town itself, how it works to be exact. Everything beginning from the Otherworld to the simple fact of pulling people into it, because they either have something on their conscience or they have to serve their purpose in the town.

We have a case of Resident Evil 4. It completely changed how the game worked. I didn't like that game much, but it did change the stale gameplay mechanics, the story etc. and created something fresh while retaining the title. However I don't think this would work with SH. It is a series known for its mature and philosophical themes, a change of pace that radical would probably kill the series. Maybe. I don't know.

But what I do know, is that something has to change. Either end the series and start a fresh new one or change the formula completely.

Being a true fan of the series I say end it before it deteriorates into SH Arcade.

Oh, wait... It did :doh::insomnia::mad:
Posted in Games, Rants
Views 9840 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I totally agree with you on this. I am a huge Silent Hill fan but I think its time to lay the series to rest for at least a long time. Maybe a revival in 10 years or so but no more milking the series. I never liked the 4th game, and Homecoming was alright (the combat system was horrible imo).

Yes, it should have ended with SH3.