Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
aspiring modeller
Unreal Engine 2 Runtime Help...
Hi everyone, I'm quite new to both this forum and the Unreal Engine and hope to get some help from here. (Also hope that this is postedin the right section of the forum)

Anyways, I recently obtained Unreal Engine 2 Runtime from the main website and been tinkering with it... but it's so different! I have NO IDEA what to do!

I'm trying to import models I created in 3Ds Max 8/2008 into the engine but I don't know where to go. I mean I already converted the .3DS files into .uc files... but when I enter the Unreal Engine 2 Editor... I don't know where to go to import the models and see them in the engine. I searched almost everywhere that had an "open" or "import" option, but none of them has .3DS or .uc as an option.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
MeatWagon

Re: Unreal Engine 2 Runtime Help...
Well for static models you want to export them from 3ds max to the .ase format for a start, No idea where you got .uc from. Secondly in unrealed open up the static mesh browser and select import, then select your .ase file.

Yes this is the wrong forum, the unrealed help forum is what you want
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
aspiring modeller
Yeah I was thinking of making them into .ase but I was reading a wiki for the Unreal Engine that I should convert my .3DS files into an unreal format, which they said is .uc

And sorry for this being in wrong forum. Where is the Unreal forums? I was searching around but didn't find it... I guess I must have missed it.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring modeller View Post

And sorry for this being in wrong forum. Where is the Unreal forums? I was searching around but didn't find it... I guess I must have missed it.
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
aspiring modeller
Thank you ^^
Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
aspiring modeller
I managed to get a model into the engine!!! Thank you so much!

Now, what do I have to do if I want to import an animated model?

This is what I want right (if it's possible)

Import a character (who is, let's say, running in one spot) into the engine and play it (either in the editor or in the "game". But if it's in the game, I need more details because last time I tried testing it, it said for me to place a starting point, which I couldn't find.)

What must I do to achieve this? Because I'm a student and for my project, I need to show a working character in a game engine to show that I am capable of placing an animated character into a game or game engine.

Thanks again in advance.