Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Tags
Who just went through all the threads and added dopefish to them?

That really screwed up the tag cloud. It makes the entire rest of it worthless, since we can't guage what is real.

If you wouldn't mind, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.

Now I have to go through the major hassle of removing it.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Tags
OK, it was retodon8. Dude, that really screwed things up. Don't ever do that again.

I'd tell you to fix it yourself, but I don't think you can edit tags on a thread that isn't yours.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Retodon8

I'm sorry, I didn't know it would screw things up.
I figured tags help people find stuff, which is a good thing, so I went ahead and added a bunch of tags in the Dopefish forum a while ago.
Of course for a lot of threads "Dopefish" is the most important keyword.

It seems the Advanced Search somehow shows a different tag cloud than the Tag page does.
In one a word could be really big, but in the other it's not... so maybe they are two different things...?
Maybe one of them just doesn't update immediately and the other does.
Whatever the case, I don't know which one to trust.

Anyway, you can delete your own tags, no matter whose thread it is, as long as the tags are yours, so I removed all my tags in the Dopefish forum.
Hopefully that fixed the problem!

Before all that, I also added a bunch of tags to the ROTT forum, but "rott" shows up just as big as "dnf" on the Search page, and tiny on the Tag page.
If things still show up wrong, I'll delete some more of my tags, but I figured after more people use them, things will even out as well.

(On the Tag page however, "balls of steel" is huge, but I don't recall tagging any threads about that, so at least that wasn't my fault. )

Sorry again, I hope I fixed things.
I guess I simply won't tag older threads again, just the newer one, and hope others tag the threads/forums I don't view.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Phil Carter

Joe, do you know why "wacky wheels" is missing from the tag cloud and "rott" is tiny now? There are as many threads with those tags as there ever were, so they should both be prominent on the tag cloud.

Also Retond8, the search page says it's listing the "most-searched-for thread tags" while the other tag cloud says it's the "most used thread tags". I suppose that explains the difference.

Some sort of policy on tagging threads may be in order... For example, every single thread in the DNF forum could conceivably be tagged with "dnf", and similarly for "dopefish" in the dopefish forum, etc. Maybe Joe should discourage tagging threads with the subject of the forum (i.e. tagging with "dnf" while in the DNF forum)? Personally, what I've been doing is tagging only the most interesting threads on any particular subject. For example, there are 74 search results for "balls of steel" in the Other Apogee Games forum, and I tagged the 14 threads that I thought were most likely to be of interest. Using that guideline, only the "best" dopefish threads would get a dopefish tag, whether they're in the Dopefish forum or not.

It all depends on how Joe wants the tags to be used though.

Also, I believe I was the first person to draw the attention of the Watchful Eye of Joe for my tagging a number of Wacky Wheels threads right after the software update.
Last edited by Phil Carter; 02-25-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
Dopefish7590

Haha, when I read the first post. I almost thought for sure someone was going to accuse me for that due to my name.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Some sort of policy on tagging threads may be in order... For example, every single thread in the DNF forum could conceivably be tagged with "dnf", and similarly for "dopefish" in the dopefish forum, etc. Maybe Joe should discourage tagging threads with the subject of the forum (i.e. tagging with "dnf" while in the DNF forum)
I thought I laid that out when tags were first used here.

I'm attempting to find out if I can block the application of tags to msgs beyond a certain date old.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Retodon8

I thought about disabling game names/acronyms, but wouldn't that sort of break the Search feature?
If you're looking for "rott mods", only the word "mods" gets used, and the user may get threads about mods for other games as well.
At least I expect that to happen, I don't want to spam the Search feature to actually try it.

Anyway, "overly common words" are already automatically blocked with an error message stating so.
(Try adding the tag "greetings" somewhere right now to see it.)
It's possible to add stuff to that list.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
ADM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
It's possible to add stuff to that list.
That's got nothing to do with the tags feature. It's only a blacklist of words from searching. So say I add 'Retodon' to that list then noone would be able to search for retodon at all.