Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
MagusElOscuro

Need help with some doubts
Hi. I'm making maps in squared paper outlines (remember my Oscuro Face's one?), and I'd like someone to help me with these doubts:
1-Can Snake Oscuro activate touchplates as he crosses on them? I think yes, or at least in The Unholy Chamber (ERott), when he crosses on the touchplate to open the door (where he and his larvae are) during the battle against him, the door opens! or is it a bug? If he's able to do that, will be good news for the maps I'm doing.

2-Can Snake Oscuro be in a map as a trap (like final battle but without heatpits to kill him; as an enemy more to avoid you continuing your quest?
This is exposed in two of my maps (the Oscuro Face's one, for example), but I need confirmation that this won't crash the game. Of course, I'd try not to put spinblades, stabbers, Ballistikrafts or any other "obstacle" in his path/s.

3-If I follow the map settings of Impossible Land (Darkwar, RTC) to put boulders runing in the sky, will it work in a RTL map? This question will be the same for putting Ballistikrafts upon: other Ballistikrafts (like in Experiment IV (ERott)), pillars, spinblades, GADS...

4-And this is for all who have played to Elzee and 5HFifty's Return Of The Triad: is there a way to add new wall tiles with the looking of the floor of In The Dark Nest (Darkwar), or the clear earthen floor of Spring Surprise, as a wall, to the editors (RottEd, RottMD and Rott3deditor)?
And my favorite to this question 4: do you know what I've to do to include the Dark Deathfire Monks (you know? these who even have black flesh, who shot KES) to these editors; or is it impossible?
This new enemy was a major kickass in Return Of The Triad, and I certainly hope the Reboot of ROTT includes them, considering the guys of Return Of The Triad are working on it as staff.

PS:I've not idea of programming, so please, I hope you can explain it well.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 12-13-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
MagusElOscuro

Re: Need help with some doubts
So...where is the people?¬¬
Is this dead or what?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
DragonsLover

It is not. It's just that we have no idea.

For questions 1 and 2, try to do a test level and see if it works.
For question 3, yeah, you can make boulders to roll in the sky. Same goes for Ballistikrafts. In fact, some Extreme ROTT levels use this exploit. As for other things, try them.
For question 4, in theory, yes, you can. Extract the floor textures and use them as walls. You can create your own textures and import them back in the .WAD but ensure the colour palette is preserved. In RottED, you can already add the different skies, ceilings and floors textures as "tiles", but I think the game will ignore them or cause a crash in-game. Check the "ROTT Map Specs" for a bit more details about the WAD file and the walls.
For question 4b, adding a new enemy is possible, but requires: all the sprites of the new enemy, new sound effects, additional foreground tiles IDs and finally, extra coding to handle all that into the game.
Last edited by DragonsLover; 01-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
MagusElOscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
It is not. It's just that we have no idea.

For questions 1 and 2, try to do a test level and see if it works.
For question 3, yeah, you can make boulders to roll in the sky. Same goes for Ballistikrafts. In fact, some Extreme ROTT levels use this exploit. As for other things, try them.
For question 4, in theory, yes, you can. Extract the floor textures and use them as walls. You can create your own textures and import them back in the .WAD but ensure the colour palette is preserved. In RottED, you can already add the different skies, ceilings and floors textures as "tiles", but I think the game will ignore them or cause a crash in-game. Check the "ROTT Map Specs" for a bit more details about the WAD file and the walls.
For question 4b, adding a new enemy is possible, but requires: all the sprites of the new enemy, new sound effects, additional foreground tiles IDs and finally, extra coding to handle all that into the game.
For question 4, it's not any new texture, it already exists, but it's used as floor (or ceiling), it's used in "In The Dark Nest" level. I'd check that link, then.

The question 4b does not need any new sound effect, they've got the same than Deathfire Monks, their voice is the same, but instead of their fire, the KES of the Dark Staff. And I don't know where to get sprites of them. Can I get them from my copy of Return Of The Triad (and how do you pick them? I know there's people who gets them from any game, but I don't have idea of how). And adding new foreground tiles, how do you do it? And finally, that extra coding thing...wel,l for me it's like learning chinese, as I don't have idea of programming. Where do I get the extra coding of that?
Well, anyway, thanks for answering.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
DragonsLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagusElOscuro
For question 4, it's not any new texture, it already exists, but it's used as floor (or ceiling), it's used in "In The Dark Nest" level. I'd check that link, then.
For a mod, it's possible, but for the original game, I really doubt it. I just checked the floor texture of "In the Dark Nest" and it's one of the floor textures used. I also checked the walls, and there's no floor, nor ceiling textures used. If you wanna use floor textures as walls or wall textures as floors or ceilings, you have to tweak the .WAD file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagusElOscuro
The question 4b does not need any new sound effect, they've got the same than Deathfire Monks, their voice is the same, but instead of their fire, the KES of the Dark Staff. And I don't know where to get sprites of them. Can I get them from my copy of Return Of The Triad (and how do you pick them? I know there's people who gets them from any game, but I don't have idea of how). And adding new foreground tiles, how do you do it? And finally, that extra coding thing...wel,l for me it's like learning chinese, as I don't have idea of programming. Where do I get the extra coding of that?
Sprites of the KES are there for sure, so it's not a problem.
For adding new foreground tiles ID to use in any editors, I have no idea. It's surely handled into the code.

And there's no coding for that new enemy in ROTT by the way, you have to create it... from scratch. You can try asking jbailey and birgers to add a new enemy for their WinRottGL port, but you better provide the new sprites of the enemy. The rest could surely be done.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
MagusElOscuro

Ufh...it seems I shall ask Jbailey or Birgers then, because I have not a single idea of how to use even the provided sprites of KES.
Well, thanks, anyway.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
DragonsLover

The sprites of the KES are inside the .WAD file. Use a tool to look at the different data of the file and you should fall on them.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
jbailey

This wad tool will edit rott data files:

http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
MagusElOscuro

Thanks for the link, but I don't know how to manipulate WAD files.
I hope I won't ruin the original files of ROTT with this...
I opened the software, but I only could see the Sprites of ROTT things, which is still a chaos, as I've the images, but all of them are already on the editors. But in the File of Return Of The Triad, haven't found a single Sprite contained in the files there. Anyone of you know what name should I search, the ones I found are only numbers and some of them cannot be opened.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
jbailey

Unless I've misunderstood something, you either want to replace currently
existing artwork in the wad file with your own (and keeping the original
names), or you want to leave everything original alone and simply add
your own artwork to the wad file with new names, the first choice would
probably be easiest, but you could try saving your own work to a seperate
wad file and load it in with the original file when you run the game, xwe should
be able to dis-assemble the entire wad file then you can export/import what
you want, when done just hit 'save'.

jbailey
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
MagusElOscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
Unless I've misunderstood something, you either want to replace currently
existing artwork in the wad file with your own (and keeping the original
names), or you want to leave everything original alone and simply add
your own artwork to the wad file with new names.
No, no! I want to keep the original, but adding pre-existing tiles (for floor/ceiling/above fences), putting them as normal wall tiles. And add the Return Of The Triad Dark Deathfire Monk as a new enemy. I don't want to modify the original game, I wanna add these enhancements for my maps. In other words, use the editors, but with these extras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
the first choice would
probably be easiest, but you could try saving your own work to a seperate
wad file and load it in with the original file when you run the game, xwe should
be able to dis-assemble the entire wad file then you can export/import what
you want, when done just hit 'save'.
But for doing this, I need to know how to pick the tiles I want from pre-existing files, and adding that Return Of The Triad's character, as an addon, no?
Wait, I think it's better to make a new thread with screen captures of what I want to add, right? Maybe this is a way for you can help me easier.
Once the MSPaint sheet, of the tiles I want + Dark Monk, is done, I'll make the thread.
Thanks for help, and see you soon, there, then.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
jbailey

Ok, see you then.

jbailey