Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
ixfd64

strange issue with Windows Server 2008
Something very strange happened with one of our servers at work. I first noticed the problem when I was unable to VNC into the machine earlier today. However, I was able to access it via Remote Desktop, and I noticed that all the labels were missing from the icons and the Start Menu. There was nothing in My Computer, and the graphics were all weird when I opened Task Manager.

Everything went back to normal when I physically logged off and back on. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

For the record, Event Viewer indicted that the server was restarted last morning due to automatic updates, although I'm not sure if that is related to the problem.

Visit my forums!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
ReadOnly

Re: strange issue with Windows Server 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Something very strange happened with one of our servers at work. I first noticed the problem when I was unable to VNC into the machine earlier today.
Why do you use VNC? Be default it is not secure(but there are some plugins with various clients/servers).

Quote:
However, I was able to access it via Remote Desktop, and I noticed that all the labels were missing from the icons and the Start Menu. There was nothing in My Computer, and the graphics were all weird when I opened Task Manager.
Probably some explorer glitch for whatever reason. You might have tried killing explorer.exe and starting it again. Just to be sure.

Quote:
For the record, Event Viewer indicted that the server was restarted last morning due to automatic updates, although I'm not sure if that is related to the problem.
Are there any errors in the Event Viewer? Was there some other strange behaviour recently?