Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
thamaht
Keen Gun Max Payne 1 & Vista
Got it working okay, even reading my old save games, except the music isn't loading at all. (also, graphic novel isn't "read" by Max, and the cinematics are silent too.) Shooting, doors, etc all work fine.

I don't know if this is an issue with Creative sound drivers, Vista, or what. If anyone has tried it (or has any other issues in Vista) feel free to report them here.

I've tried compatibility modes, and running the game as administrator.

My info, for posterity:

Athlon64 3200+
Audigy 2 (vanilla)
2gb Corsair XMS
ATI 1800XTX

Latest drivers for everything.

PS: 'Reinstall XP' isn't a fix. If you want to argue about the viability of Vista as an OS, do it somewhere else.

edit: It seems to work like, once in every 5 quickloads. and comes in pretty loud.
edit2: Not reliably, when it works seems kind of random, but that's about how often it does.
Last edited by thamaht; 03-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Hudson

Re: Max Payne 1 & Vista
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html

Seems like you're not alone.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
thamaht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Except mine doesn't actually crash, heh. That's from a beta from June anyway. Most of that has changed, I'd wager.

I went ahead and finished the game (I tend to replay it when I replay Max Payne 2), I'm just trying to figure out why it didn't work, in case anything else has similar problems.

I'll be able to get to my CDs tomorrow, so I'll install it and edit this post assuming it goes okay.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
thamaht
Basically everyone I know has upgraded, and no one is having any problems they didn't have already (some games [BF2142, Gothic3] have them built in regardless of OS, so saying no problems wouldn't be truthful). This is the only problem I've had, and considering how many games over 5 years old from the time I got XP, I'm surprised it did anything.

Max Payne 2 works perfectly, Vista even found box art for both 1 and 2 so the icons looked good.