Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
MagusElOscuro

JBailey,The Tiles I want to add for my maps.
Hi. This is a thread I've said I would post, to get the help I need to include this stuff for my maps. It was mainly for JBailey, as I told him time before opening this post, but everyone of you who know how to help me is, of course, welcome .
Well, the matter is, I need to include all of these (or at least my favorites of them) Background Tiles, and this Foreground Tile (this YES, I need to include it, not like the Wall Tiles, this YES). Feel free to help me. Well, here's a picture of the Sprites of Background Tiles and the Foreground Tile I need to add:

The unused mysterious ROTT Wall Tiles are now Blank Tiles in ROTTMD, but time before, I could select them (though I've never seen them in game, with exception of Return Of The Triad's Episode 1, which also used them). As you've seen, ALL Tiles already exist, so it's not a matter of creating them or drawing them; but of include them in the Editors (I mean, in the Editors (as ROTTMD) exist alot of Blank Tiles, I think it's possible to put there new ones, right? I've heard that alot of times)
If you need a bigger pic for the Wall Tiles, I've got all of them in bigger size.
Remember to explain it well, so I can understand it, I haven't got a single idea of programming, as I've said a thousand times. Thanks, before all, and feel free to answer.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 01-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
jbailey

Re: JBailey,The Tiles I want to add for my maps.
This is going to be a bit of a pain, but you could try importing your artwork
into a doom editor, then save that out as a doom type wad, then try to
import that with birgers' rott editor (under 'import' then doom.wad), if that is
successful, you could then save out everything as a rott file. You can get a
full featured doom style editor from here:

http://www.sbsoftware.com/

But what you really need is for a rott editor to see your artwork as things
that can be added to a level, and for that you would need the source code
to a rott editor, so your stuff could be included properly.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

The only other way as I've mentioned, is to replace currently existing artwork in the main
rott file with your artwork. You could use xwe to do the exporting/importing. But you would
have to keep track of the names in the rott file and you would also probably be limited
to the original sizes/resolutions of the original artwork that your replacing.

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
MagusElOscuro

Eeer...where to begin? First of all, the XWE is not an aid for me, totally the opposite, as I only can use it to view the items, textures, etc. I've not a single idea of how it works, and I can't understand a single piece of it. I tried to copy and paste a Sprite (you see how "difficult" the operation was), and it got blurry and with a freaking appearance in orange-ish hue. So I think this is the last time I use that tool. And its help menu does not "help" at all, unless you're a programmer. For me it's like if it was talking to me in chinese.

I'm gonna give a try to that R3Dedit. (is this one the Doom editor you were talking? because that DeePsea is not freeware...). I'll let you know if it helped me...but I'm not too optimist about....But hey, even if I get the DDFire Monks' Sprites created...how do I manage to make them shoot KES instead of reg fireballs?

Oh, and talking about Source Code. Where is supposed to be the Source Code of the editors? I haven't found any file about that. I've got the ROTT's Source Code and it's like an idle in the file. In other words, I haven't used it for absolutely nothing.
And more important. What should I do with that Editors' Codes? Is that also a difficult uncomprehensible task such as all the work I've tried before?
-----

I've "tried" it....a joke. It doesn't open. Gives an error. So I deleted it.
Thanks for the help, anyway.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 01-29-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
jbailey

In order to do what you want, some programming with the source code is
going to be required, the latest editor on birgers' site is here:

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_Utilities.htm

Good luck!

jbailey
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
MagusElOscuro

1.24 is the latest? I've got that version. And if it's not the main Editor I use, it's for the lack of help menu; which makes the map building an impossible task. OK, you can make the map, but what if you can't make it work (Switches, Touchplates, Moving Walls/Pillars, Robots/Spinblades/Firejets' paths, etc)? I can't understand why such an awesome Editor like this (look at the 3D window for see the map you're making. There's not another Editor with a feature like this!), has not help menu....
And the source code, I repeat, or it's not included, or I can't find it...in any of the Editors I've got (ROTTMD...until it need a PIN, ROTTed and ROTT3Deditor 1.24).
By the way, time ago I downloaded in that site the ROTT multitool, but I still cannot understand how it works. "view SFX...convert sprite to PCX"..what's thiiiis?? I think the only one thing I'm gonna get is to ruin Darkwar WAD and **** up the file and the game...
Thanks for the help.

Is Doombuilder (or Doombuilder2) valid for importing that artwork as WAD?
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 01-30-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
jbailey

I haven't messed around with doombuilder in quite a while, the version I have is
probably out of date, but it might do what you are asking. I've asked birger for
the source code to his current editor, but so far, he has said no.

jbailey
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
MagusElOscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
I haven't messed around with doombuilder in quite a while, the version I have is
probably out of date, but it might do what you are asking. I've asked birger for
the source code to his current editor, but so far, he has said no.
But if I import the Tiles to ROTT3Deditor as saved Doom WADs, they should then work, right? Or at least this option is for this, no? If not, why is it included?
Well, I will try to get Doombuilder and tell you if it helps. I hope yes.
I've seen maps in ROTTpository that include things which are NOT in Darkwar/Extreme. And there has got to be a way to do that, considering they used the ROTT Editors.
A salute.