Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
ferran275

Duke Nukem Forever: A very long time fan that still has faith, my story
Admins, lock if you must, just read it first, I hope my story touches someones life in some way...

You all don't know me, I have never written on these forums before, but have been watching them for over 12 years. Ever since my dad brought me home Duke Nukem 3D, and I saw my first pair of digital knockers, I have been forever changed, my life is completely different, for better or worse than it would have been if I hadn't had Duke.

Duke is a lifestyle, he is an American hero, basically, he makes us look bigger and better than everyone else, he has "MADE IN USA" branded on his ass, and he literally defines my generation. Ever since the first trailer for DNF on the Manhattan Project CDROM I have been coming to this forum to look, read, and reflect on what was coming.

I feel the same frustrations that all of you do, but even when the worst was happening (May '09) I kept my hopes up, and I still feel the same way.

Why am I writing this? 12 years ago I almost joined the forum, but I decided to wait until it changed from WID to ID. I never knew it would take so long, but, as we all know, it did. I am writing this today because I feel the wait is almost over.

Now, who am I to say such crazy things, why should some nobody like me be allowed to talk like this? I might not be allowed to talk like this, and if thats the case this thread will be deleted, and that's fine, but I feel that my opinion matters.

Like I said I have been following this franchise since the early days, I have had actual email correspondence with George, not about development, but the gaming industry in general, I can say he is a great guy, very polite and willing to give advice to new industry hopefuls.

I'm a motion graphics artist and video editor, but I originally wanted to get into game art, I am very passionate about games, I don't play many at all, but I wait for very specific titles. Not a single day goes by where I don't at least 'wonder' about DNF for a few minutes.

Unlike some of you, who are mostly not here anymore, I never gave up hope, not for one second that this title would see the light of day, and I waited, I waited for my time to speak. I believe that time is here, when E3 rolled around, I knew it wasn't the time, all these rumors, I've just been sitting back and shaking my head, but finally, I believe it's almost time.

The recent rumor of Gearbox taking over development is spreading like wildfire, every few hours another news source picks up the original Kotaku post. I am writing here today because I am certain, 100%, that Duke Nukem Forever will be given a release date by the end of this year, we may not see it until some time later, but we will be given a release date.

I don't even feel the need to prove my point, I understand how jaded you all must feel, years and years of disappointment, but the assumption I have is coming from a fan that has never once succumb to a false rumor, never once gotten excited about things that never happened.

So, if you're still reading this, don't take this as seriously as a post from the man himself, or Take2 or Gearbox, take this as a very clear headed, responsible thinking, not corrupted by hype fan of a series that changed his whole life.

Thank you for reading this, I'm happy to finally introduce myself to the DNF Forums after all these years.

Always Bet On Duke
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
KaiserSoze

Cool Re: Duke Nukem Forever: A very long time fan that still has faith, my story
Great post and welcome aboard!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
PukeBurger

Re: Duke Nukem Forever: A very long time fan that still has faith, my story
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
...but have been watching them for over 12 years...
... Not a single day goes by where I don't at least 'wonder' about DNF for a few minutes ...
3DR owes you 13,149 minutes (219.15 hours) of your life back. Leap years have been taken into consideration.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Gerula
This is the story of my life also.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
predl

welcome to the forums and thank you 4 your story bro.
I feel the same way. and I never give up hope.

Come get some
Last edited by predl; 08-13-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukeBurger View Post
3DR owes you 13,149 minutes (219.15 hours) of your life back. Leap years have been taken into consideration.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and PukeBurger? When I have it sitting in front of me, I guarantee I'll get all of those days, hours, minutes back.

Some people take off work to go have a baby, I might just need to take a leave of absence to gain all this time back
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
JobivanHiob

wow dude, my respect! I bow myself!
Your story is almost unbelievable! You never had the urge to post in here in all these years?....you were just sitting in front of you computer and smirking reading our posts and the rumors that came and left...
You must be the most self-controlled man on earth!

just because of you DNF should be released!

My deep respect to you!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Blubberblubs
Smile Re: Duke Nukem Forever: A very long time fan that still has faith, my story
Wow.
Your story made tears in my eyes.
I have a feeling, that we won't be disappointed in the near future.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Bam050196

Good Story, Welcome to the Forums ferran275
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
PredatorFL

I finally joined in December 09 but I had watched these forums for a while too. More or less I didn't want to get involved in flame wars lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
alexgk

Welcome ferran275.

It's nice to read about your enthusiasm over DNF, something I definitely share with you. But it's not wise to base it on rumors or speculations, no matter how convincing they might sound. It's happened A LOT of times in the past, and all of them ended in deception, as you most likely know.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
prophecy holder

Duke made in America? Maybe that explains why it's taking so long.
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
ferran275

thank you all very much, @Jobivan - yes, I have been checking up for a long time, browsing, reading, and just basically reflecting for myself, which brings me to @alexgk - you are right, and I do know, but given the current trends in the industry, and of course all the recent press, like I said, I don't feel the need to prove any point. So I won't banter back and forth, trying to throw my opinion on anyone, this is the reason I waited so long. If someone doesn't agree, they don't have to, I know, I myself know for 'me', and that's enough.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
thunderPIN

Awesome post! Welcome to the forum. Your story pretty much relates to me. Duke Nukem 3D was my very first computer game and I have been onboard the Duke train ever since. I have been reading the forums for many years but never joined the forums because of all the madness. In June of this year I finally decided to jump on board. This is the place I come to get news of Duke because if there's any news of Duke your bound to see it here right away.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
ferran275

and on the release, we all need to get together, the whole forum, and just have a whole day of drinking, then stumble to GameStop to pick up our copies at midnight, THAT would be a perfect world
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #16
Willem-Jan
Hell Yeah!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #17
Dukesnuke

Quote:
Admins, lock if you must, just read it first, I hope my story touches someones life in some way...

You all don't know me, I have never written on these forums before, but have been watching them for over 12 years. Ever since my dad brought me home Duke Nukem 3D, and I saw my first pair of digital knockers, I have been forever changed, my life is completely different, for better or worse than it would have been if I hadn't had Duke.

Duke is a lifestyle, he is an American hero, basically, he makes us look bigger and better than everyone else, he has "MADE IN USA" branded on his ass, and he literally defines my generation. Ever since the first trailer for DNF on the Manhattan Project CDROM I have been coming to this forum to look, read, and reflect on what was coming.

I feel the same frustrations that all of you do, but even when the worst was happening (May '09) I kept my hopes up, and I still feel the same way.

Why am I writing this? 12 years ago I almost joined the forum, but I decided to wait until it changed from WID to ID. I never knew it would take so long, but, as we all know, it did. I am writing this today because I feel the wait is almost over.

Now, who am I to say such crazy things, why should some nobody like me be allowed to talk like this? I might not be allowed to talk like this, and if thats the case this thread will be deleted, and that's fine, but I feel that my opinion matters.

Like I said I have been following this franchise since the early days, I have had actual email correspondence with George, not about development, but the gaming industry in general, I can say he is a great guy, very polite and willing to give advice to new industry hopefuls.

I'm a motion graphics artist and video editor, but I originally wanted to get into game art, I am very passionate about games, I don't play many at all, but I wait for very specific titles. Not a single day goes by where I don't at least 'wonder' about DNF for a few minutes.

Unlike some of you, who are mostly not here anymore, I never gave up hope, not for one second that this title would see the light of day, and I waited, I waited for my time to speak. I believe that time is here, when E3 rolled around, I knew it wasn't the time, all these rumors, I've just been sitting back and shaking my head, but finally, I believe it's almost time.

The recent rumor of Gearbox taking over development is spreading like wildfire, every few hours another news source picks up the original Kotaku post. I am writing here today because I am certain, 100%, that Duke Nukem Forever will be given a release date by the end of this year, we may not see it until some time later, but we will be given a release date.

I don't even feel the need to prove my point, I understand how jaded you all must feel, years and years of disappointment, but the assumption I have is coming from a fan that has never once succumb to a false rumor, never once gotten excited about things that never happened.

So, if you're still reading this, don't take this as seriously as a post from the man himself, or Take2 or Gearbox, take this as a very clear headed, responsible thinking, not corrupted by hype fan of a series that changed his whole life.

Thank you for reading this, I'm happy to finally introduce myself to the DNF Forums after all these years.

Always Bet On Duke
I'm late to this party but my respects to you mate.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #18
cof_3pc

Quote:
and on the release, we all need to get together, the whole forum, and just have a whole day of drinking, then stumble to GameStop to pick up our copies at midnight, THAT would be a perfect world
Ok, sappy stories aren't really my thing, but NOW you got my attention!

Hurray for the talking ferret!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #19
Grashnik
Welcome ;-)

I'm thinking something will happen as well. It has to. The game will be released SOMETIME to honor Duke and everyone who worked with it and waited for it.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
Honza007
Quote:
so true, and so bad that I'm too far away from US, but Internet shorts distances and at this point I'm about 200ms to US .
Anyway I'd not hesitate for a second to join that party .

edit: by the way - Mafia II came out these days after 9 years of development and it's excellent game. There is still hope...
Last edited by Honza007; 08-24-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
str4fe114

TF2 was developed 9 whole years too. Its an AWESOME game.
Also, i bought Mafia a looong time ago and have been waiting for the mafia 2 a long long time. i think 5 years?