Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
revenant100
Post Dopefish in SiN 1 and SiN Episodes: Emergence
With all this hubbub on the impending release of the new SiN episode in Steam, I decided to play the original SiN to recall what the it was like. Through the course of playing it, I was surprised to find that there was a Dopefish reference in it. Considering that the game was released 6 or 7 years ago, I thought someone would have had to reported it by now (At least I don't see it on the main page. I searched the forum for "Sin" but only got results of the word "since".)

In the original SiN, there are actually two Dopefish variations which can be seen here. Both of them are simply alternate skins for the fish animal you see swimming around. However, only one of the two would actually be considered "the" Dopefish. I'll point that out later.

The Dopefish appears in the Part 2 of the Underwater Passage mission (map uwpass2). For those who have not played the game, this map takes place while entirely submerged in an underwater area with several fish swimming around. One of the variations is a green-colored fish with white eyes and what appears to be a mouthful of teeth. This is the "Dopefish #2" skin. One can always be seen in the very first cavern area, but there are actually a couple of others in the map. Here's a picture of one:
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/sin1_dopefish01.jpg

However, in the same map, there also appears to be a secret area centering around Dopefish. I can't figure out how to reach it without cheats, and the game doesn't tally this as a secret area found, but this might be intented. Here's how to find it:

When you're following the yellow subs as part of the mission objective, you'll pass through a gate where you'll see three pipes marked "Magma" immediately upon the other side. Down the same wall as the pipes there will be a cave. Picture:
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/sin_dopesecret01.jpg

If you try and swim into the cave by normal means, you'll be knocked back by the water current. I couldn't find a way to get passed this, so I just enabled noclip and went in. Inside you'll see another Dopefish like the rest swimming around in the level. However, this one is different. This is the only fish using the "Dopefish #1" skin, which has the character's signature buckteeth visible on it. Picture:
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/sin_dopesecret02.jpg

If you disable noclip and swim around the area, a message will appear saying "You know the deal..." This could be a sly way of saying "THE DOPEFISH LIVES!" Picture:
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/sin_dopesecret03.jpg

That blue wall of water in the picture has nothing behind it, so I don't know what it's for. I've searched around the level to find perhaps the secret that's supposed to teleport the player to this area, but I've found none. This Dopefish area isn't even mentioned in any SiN walkthrough or FAQ I've found.

Anyway, on to SiN Episodes. If anyone has checked the gcf files from the pre-loaded game, there was a character model named "Dope_Fish" that appeared in it, although it was unviewable since the files were encrypted. Well, somewhat recently more files from the game were decrypted (Probably because of the imminent release), so I was able to extract the Dopefish files and take a picture of the model in the HL2 model viewer:
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/sinep_dopefish.jpg

It doesn't have any animations besides the idle swimming one pictured and another animation labled "burp" (It's just 1 frame, no idea what it could be used for), but I'm curious nonetheless to see how Ritual will implement it as a secret.

[ 05-06-2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: revenant100 ]

Old 05-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Retodon8
Thanks for taking the time to work all that out.
It's new for me, and I think for "everyone".

Strange looking fish, those in Sin.
Well, they're relatively lo-res, and just a different skin.
The sequel has a more Dopefish-like Dopefish, but those scales look strange on him.
I always imagine the Dopefish being smooth.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
FishyFish

I found the Dopefish in Sin Episodes: Emergence. He's in the water between the two boat-sheds when you first get to the dockside (after the metal walkway collapses). Screengrab here: http://www.fishyfish.net/images/secret.jpg

Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #4
ShadeEX

Re: Dopefish in SiN 1 and SiN Episodes: Emergence
Actually i don't think the fish in Sin 1 are dopefish...

however that "You know the deal.." can also be a referance to
"Your not supposed to be here" -levelord found several places in
Duke Nukem 3D

this is ofcource imo
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 05-17-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
supermeerkat

I found the dopefish in a later part of episode 1, beneath a pier. I'll plost pics later.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
supermeerkat

And here they are. The first pic is the pier beneath which he resides, and as for the second....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg se1_docks040003.jpg (94.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg se1_docks040004.jpg (72.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Dopefish7590

cool
Old 05-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Ouroboros314

Dopefish Return of the Dopefish!
I played through the Sin Episodes: Emergence recently released on Steam and was pleased with how the game turned out. What I find great about the game is that Ritual Entertainment, the developers of the game, placed enough secrets throughout the roughly six hours of gameplay to merit multiple runs through the game. The coolest secrets are trying to find the dopefishes scattered throughout the game, all rendered in polygon format. Hopefully Prey will incorporate secrets like this into their game, the portals could allow for some very interesting easter eggs. Picture of Dopefish is in the attachment. Anyone else recall of any recent games to have old Dopey in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg se1_u4lab040001.jpg (145.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Parkar

Re: Return of the Dopefish!
Heh, I didn't realize there was more then one. (Yea I didn't find many secretes my first time through).
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Dopefish appears five times in secret areas in SiN Emergence.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
Micki!

That's cool...
Anyone mind taking a screenshot of each area..?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
ShadeEX

There are vids from the secret areas up in a thread on ritualistic...

ill get the link

EDIT: here it is http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/sh...=5&o=7&fpart=1
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

Last edited by ShadeEX; 05-25-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:54 AM   #13
Micki!

Which of these levels, have the dopefish in it..?
I wouldn't want to download them all...
Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
ShadeEX

theres one in the first level after the car secuence...

then theres some in the later levels, can't remember the names but im doing a playthrough again where i want to find the secrets..

so ill get the info soon enough hehe

Old 05-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #15
ShadeEX

Hmmm aparently i was wrong about the fishes in sin 1 .. aparently some of them are dopefish...

found a site about it... can't remember it right now tho..

Old 07-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #16
ZaphodB

If you get to the final level and find the secret to the upside-down tower room levels, finish it then re-emerge on the roof, there are 2 dopefish with machine guns (they just stand?/swim?/sit??? there) and if you kill them they sound like the gaingun guards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sin_Df_gun.jpg (46.4 KB, 53 views)