Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
aavenr
Play Max Payne 1 In Black & White Glory!
Play Max Payne in Full Black & White Glory
10/10/03 | 07:48 GMT - aavenr

Take a look at the screenshots below if you will (taken while playing the latest Gang Wars release). Yes, I took them. No, I am not playing any pre-release version of The Family modification. So how did I manage to get that nifty black & white effect? No, of course I didn't go photoshop on them. I was able to get that very cool effect reminiscent of old school noir cinema thanks to the latest Catalyst drivers release (3.8) by ATi. Basically, if you have a ATi video card and download the latest drivers for it, you can take advantage of a very cool new feature called SmartShader (click here for a more detailed explanation on how to use it). This feature comprises of a series of color altering shaders that change the look of any game you play and guess what? One of the is black & white! And as you can see below, the results are great. This might be just what's needed to entice you into booting up some regular Max Payne 1 action in full black & white glory while waiting for its sequel to arrive next Wednesday.

Screens:

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~maxpayn...ages/noir1.jpg
http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~maxpayn...ages/noir2.jpg
http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~maxpayn...ages/noir3.jpg
Old 10-10-2003, 03:19 AM   #2
j
Re: Play Max Payne 1 In Black & White Glory!
How about just setting colour to 0% on your monitor settings? That'll work on any card (but not necessarily on every monitor).

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
L.J.
I'm not really a PC gamer, because it's specs aren't good enough, but I just wondered why in the screenshots Max has got a really long coat.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
mad guy
a MOD?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
aavenr
Yeah, as Mad Guy here suggests it is a mod. Gang Wars episode 1 specifically. Look closer on the opening post of this thread and you'll see I clarified I took the screens while playing a mod. Though this works just as well with the regular Max Payne.

J: heh, nice try but I really doubt any monitor tweaking can approach that (plus it would be quite annoying having to tweak it to death every single time).
Old 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
needhelp
I was hesitant to download the 3.8 because I had problems with the 3.6 when rendering lighting in MaxED and had to go back to 3.5. But since you say they work I 'll at least try em. That also sounds really awesome. F**k Nvidia.

PIC OF PRES BUSH

....so is stupidity.
------------------------------------------
"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle." - MetallicA
Old 10-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
aavenr
Nope, I haven't said anywhere they work for rendering in MaxED. I haven't tested them yet in this regard. Personally as a mapper it is not a problem for me since MaxED 1.1 is almost out there and I don't plan on doing more renderings before then (I will convert my level to Max Payne 2).
Old 10-10-2003, 10:46 AM   #8
needhelp
Well MaxED 1 is dead for me anyways once I get my hands on Max Payne 2.

PIC OF PRES BUSH

....so is stupidity.
------------------------------------------
"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle." - MetallicA
Old 10-10-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Jokke_r

there are alot of other cool shaders too. like inverted colors and some others which i will post screens about. in openGL you can also play games with ascii graphics. so that the craphics is drawn by text... cool huh
Old 10-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
White Rabbit
Text mode games have been around for years (thanks mostly to aalib). You don't need a top of the range ATI card for these, for example, here's textmode quake. 'Screenshots' at the bottom of the page.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Jokke_r

here are some examples. the ascii pic is taken form half life. it loks like a mess in stills but it looks neat in motion...

checl the attachement for the hl one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 374000-HL_ASCII.jpg (96.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #12
j
Quote:
J: heh, nice try but I really doubt any monitor tweaking can approach that
Umm, what? Atleast to me those b&w screens just look like Max Payne in black and white, which is exactly the same result you'd get by setting colour to zero on your monitor.

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #13
Sloth
that is a neat effect. I was actually thinking about B&W features for games in terms of style. Not just for Max Payne , but other games, where players can have the option of playing B&W or Color. I got the idea from Silent Hill 2 which allows you to turn the Grainy Effect on and off.

So often these days everyone wants crisp and clean graphics, whereas a feature like the Grainy Effect in Silent Hill goes a long way toward enhancing the atmosphere and settings.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #14
aavenr
Maybe it is that easy for yours but on mine, tweaking these settings is just asking for trouble so I won't even give it a shot. Anyway, my point was that relying on your monitor to achieve this is pretty ackward and unconfortable.

Quote:
that is a neat effect. I was actually thinking about B&W features for games in terms of style. Not just for Max Payne , but other games, where players can have the option of playing B&W or Color. I got the idea from Silent Hill 2 which allows you to turn the Grainy Effect on and off.

Hey, I totally agree. Current DX 8.0 and upcoming DX 9 games are starting to use this kind of rendering effects at last by implementing some neat shaders. I am all out for it.