Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne > Max Payne Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #161
Jami3
Re: [MP1] I Know Kung Fu (TRW kung fu released)
Just wondering is the final fight from third film, between Smith and Neo in the mod?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #162
Zom-B

Ah I didn't think of it that way, I had the idea of floating speech bubbles everywhere, been playing too much Orange Box. :P

A secret item would be a very cool idea, you could perhaps reveal where this particular item is after you complete the level or entire game. Phone booths would probably be the most logical choice for the Matrix style. I say try it! No harm in that, if it doesn't work you could always do like you say and collaborate with another team member, record a conversation to .mp3 about the mods creation and upload it as a bonus feature, something like that.

I know i'm interested!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #163
Maddieman

Jami3: no. Thought about doing it many times, but I don't really have time to construct a new level. Too bad really, the StreetFighter mod did this great thing for crowds -- just used 2D textures of them. I had one of those 'duh' why didn't I think of that!?" moments. Way better solution than trying to fit 100+ smiths models in the room.

Zom-B: I've not seen it, but can't say I like the idea of speech bubbles. Audio would be much simpler. Otherwise yeah, what you're saying sounds good to me. Provided that: 1) there's time, 2) I get a mic, 3) the audio doesn't take up too much extra space (no point if it triples the size of the mod). But otherwise yeah, I'm all for embracing new gaming trends like commentaries, etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #164
Jami3
was wondering what kind of soundtrack the mod is gonna have. Is it going to be the music from the soundtracks to the Matrix films, any original tunes? Also does music play during the levels like background music? And finally is there bullettime music if not then is it just the standard max payne heartbeat sound?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #165
Maddieman

All of the above except BT-music -- still experimenting with that, but I'm leaning towards keeping it fairly normal. In general, I'm not a fan of BT-music because: it drowns out/cancels the proper music; rarely fits the scene; gets very repetitive. At the moment I'm experimenting with a sort of underwater ambient sound for when you enter 'the liquid space of bullet time'.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #166
JimBravura

Hawt. Following this for sure.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #167
NeoPain

Re: [MP1] The Real World - Matrix Total Conversion
Just saw the trailers on youtube, that MUST be finished!!_
Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #168
Maddieman

New videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ry5LfggpSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UatkoTNsW8
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #169
shebz7

Amazingly Fast moves had to slow down the playback speed to see some of them and nice touch of morpheas dialogue in the first vid

The second video looks preetty good for max payne 1 graphics standards

bring it on soon as i just took out my MP1 cd and took off the dust

if this comes out soon will be a good time killer till MP3 arrives in oct next year
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #170
Altered Reality

Will it be based exactly on the events that were shown in the movies, or will you insert cutscenes to show scenes that were present in the screenplays but didn't make it into the movies?

For example, the script of The Matrix Reloaded has the Burly Brawl end with Neo taking off and the Smiths hanging onto him like a human chain; Neo then shakes off some of the Smiths by quickly changing the direction of his flight, and makes them crash into a skyscraper; the Smith closest to Neo tries to assimilate him and says "it's inevitable", then Neo and the remaining Smiths start falling and crash into a store selling televisions; Neo breaks free and takes off again, and one of the Smiths assimilates a woman in the store.

And again, during the fight against the Merovingian's goons, here's what was supposed to happen right after one of the swords cuts Neo's skin on his hand and the Merovingian says "He's just a man". I'll quote the script:
Quote:
MEROVINGIAN
You see? He's just a man.

Neo rises; a Neo we remember from the subway. His jaw tightens, now he's pissed.

They charge and this time he flips up and away--

Landing, his hands immediately begin conjuring, summoning his chi, creating A BALL OF ENERGY-

That we glimpse in Matrix code, his hands swirling the code, exciting it, heating it to a bristling ball of electricity, which--

He hurls at the oncoming attack--

A cannonball that blasts one of them back, burying him in the opposite wall.

Neo flips free again, bouncing off another wall, while his hands reach out, calling for weapons--

That fly to him.

It is now Neo that is attacking and the Exiles that are fighting for their lives.
THAT is something I would like to see!
Last edited by Altered Reality; 12-09-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #171
Maddieman

Smirk Re: [MP1] The Real World - Matrix Total Conversion
Those are some good ideas, but from quite early on we decided that we didn't have the time or resources to re-tell the story -- especially one most people know pretty well. The mod, at the moment, is purely focused on recreating (sometimes re-imagining) some of the key action scenes within the Matrix from the first two movies. With a few exceptions, the mod as whole is pretty cutscene light.

On a practical level, the scene with the Smiths trying to grab onto Neo as he flies away would be next to impossible to pull off (and it's telling that they couldn't film it either) -- it was hard enough trying to recreate the aerial gun fight in the subway from the first film, and that only lasts 5 seconds.

As for the Qi move, hmm... I'll give it some thought. Neo does have a special Qi move where he summons all his power and blasts it out like a shockwave (think of the filmed ending of the burly brawl), but I don't know how people would respond to fireballs. We did something like that in Katana, but only in a cutscene...

Lastly, telekinesis and bullet-stopping are two things I've tried and failed to get working. I wanted to do stuff like that, but at the same time, I'd prefer to make the kung fu and shooting the best it possibly can be.

Quote:
Amazingly Fast moves had to slow down the playback speed to see some of them
Yeah, I think it's a nice throwback to the dojo scene -- my view has always been that the player is watching the action through the eyes of the Operator. At one point I even considered enabling the Max Payne console, and have players type in commands to load levels (e.g. "Load jump_prog.bas"). But I think that might be going too far. It's also a good justification for why there aren't any scenes from zion or the neb in-game.

Another neat feature, I think, is that Neo doesn't have to be The One. It could have been Trinity or Morpheus, or someone else -- and you can play the levels like this thanks to the character/skin/move select options.
Last edited by Maddieman; 12-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #172
Altered Reality

Quote:
As for the Qi move, hmm... I'll give it some thought. Neo does have a special Qi move where he summons all his power and blasts it out like a shockwave (think of the filmed ending of the burly brawl), but I don't know how people would respond to fireballs.
What about using Matrix code characters as particles? With the "code ball" glowing an intense green light.
Last edited by Altered Reality; 12-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #173
Maddieman

Well, in my book it's still a fire/energy/magic ball, no matter how you present it.

However, one thing I had considered was a sort of 'force push' move -- same idea really, except invisible. There's a similar move in Path of Neo -- you can stop projectiles, and then other repel them (and people). It might be interesting to see how the burly brawl would work with a move like that -- shoot it, and Smiths get blasted backwards before they even get near you. It would be pretty cool if someone ran up to you, started a flying kick, and you just send them reeling backwards with a wave of your hand.

Hmm, ok, I'm slowly warming to this idea.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #174
Maddieman

I'm still experimenting with the 'force push' move -- so far it seems to work ok, but needs fine tuning.

Here's a slightly related ability I've also been playing around with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FyvF-FZjb8
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #175
Maddieman

Could the mod that refuses to die actually be released soon? Some would say it was inevitable.

The Real World – Release Details and New Videos
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #176
Zom-B

Good read, I'm still patient!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #177
Mister_Anderson

God bless you Maddieman.

And good idea to release the content episodically, with a mega epic full package at the end when its all finished.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #178
LasVegas
Red face Re: [MP1] The Real World - Matrix Total Conversion
Could the mod that refuses to die refuses to be released?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #179
shebz7

are you still working on this ???? Any updates for poor soles like me ??
Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #180
Maddieman

Maxpayne Re: [MP1] The Real World - Matrix Total Conversion
Hey, it's been a while, but yes I'm slow but steady progress.

I'll try to remember to post more updates here, but if you want to stay up to date, please like my facebook page - I'm updating it about once every week or so.

http://www.facebook.com/MaddiemanGames
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desert_03.jpg (48.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg shot0442.jpg (102.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg shot0032.jpg (47.2 KB, 12 views)
Last edited by Maddieman; 09-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #181
Maddieman

Ooo Follow the white rabbit
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #182
Maddieman

^Sorry, dropbox weren't too happy about me using their service to make a public release (it would have been fine, but more people downloaded it than expected). The link has been taken down, and will be replaced shortly. If anyone cares.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #183
Maddieman

Download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-real-w...arch-2012-demo

Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #184
shebz7

What happened to the facebook page maddieman and more importantly what's happening with our beloved MOD