Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #561
ScrewingUpMyRide

Re: The Prey 2 Thread
Make no mistake, Human Head's version of Prey 2 will die/never see the light of day if Bethesda doesn't take some form of action soon. We are coming up to the one year anniversary of the Prey 2 delay announcement and there hasn't been any work done on the game since November 2011. It's not being remade/enhanced for next-gen.

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/192996463553421312
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #562
crunchy superman

I'd say Human Head's version of it is as good as gone. Publisher has dicked around too long now. If it comes out at all, it'll likely be remade by someone else. I'd think that HH has moved on to another project, given their call for conceptual artists last year.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #563
Kit

Still not entirely clear as to what went on here. I read previews, they seemed pretty impressed. Not blown over by the awesomeness or anything but impressed with what was shown. Then they kill it for because it doesn't meet "quality standards". If it was that god damn shit then why did the previews sound promising.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #564
ScrewingUpMyRide

The previews unfortunately spent forever asking the same dull question. How is this a sequel to Prey? Where's the gravity puzzles, portals and spirit powers? They didn't focus on all the awesome features like agile-combat, pursuit gameplay or the parkour elements.

My friend was in QA on the game (he now works at Raven) and he said it was one of the best shooters ever made. You can take that how ever you like, but he isn't prone to hyperbole and he definitely doesn't have anything remotely like that to say about COD. Going by the gameplay though it certainly looks special.

The achievements leaked the other day (from a Steam pre-Beta build form late 2011). http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/p2-achievments/ - Spoilers!

The game was up and running on consoles and was 5 months away from being on store shelves, when Human Head stopped working on the title. Bethesda arbitrarily rejected their milestones (the same thing they did with Brink, Hunted and Fallout NV) in order to get Human Head to sign a new contract (Zenimax had accepted Radar group and HH's contract terms as is when signing the project in June 2009) with less favourable incentives for an independent. The reason we haven't seen the game is because while Bethesda own the content and IP, they don't own the renderer, megatexture tech and other in-house engine technologies that Human Head had implemented into ID Tech 4 over the course of a decade. Bethesda will have to deconstruct the gameplay and art and shift it to another code base.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #565
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

There are achievement listings for PREY 2 on STEAM. So... hopefully something is happening.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #566
ryche

I was hoping to hear something at PAX :\
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #567
ScrewingUpMyRide

The trademark has been extended.

http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/...mark-extended/
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #568
ScrewingUpMyRide

So quite a bit of news this past week. http://kotaku.com/we-hear-the-people...g-on-510646344

It seems Human Head's version of Prey 2 has been scrapped for arbitrary reasons, and the game is going to be rebooted from scratch by Arkane Austin (without the direction of the Dishonored leads who're or have recently moved to Arkane Lyon). Sounds like their not happy about throwing away a fellow developers work. Also, Prey 2 was in development at Obsidian last year - that don't have the source code, so it would've been a herculean effort to finish it.

A former Human Head employee, Jason L. Blair (currently of Volition) slammed the lies surrounding the project: http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/former-employee/

"This Prey 2/Arkane rumor is giving new life to a lot of old lies. I’ve been quiet about this whole business but can’t stay so anymore. I’ve worked at/with @humanheadgames for years, including different stages of Prey 2 development. I was narrative designer/writer on Prey 2 for the last six months of its development at Human Head. It was a lot more than a demo. Prey 2 was a full game. And a crazy fun one. The team was small but you wouldn’t have known it. What happened to Prey 2, from where I sat, was political. And petty. And potentially litigable. Human Head had a great game. I was heartbroken when Prey 2 went into limbo. Human Head deserved to have that game released. Frankly, they needed it.

As for Arkane, I’ve enjoyed what I played of Dishonored. They have the chops. If the rumor is true, they’ll likely do well with Prey. But I mourn that Prey 2 won’t belong to Human Head. I mourn that my friends won’t get recognition for what they accomplished. Instead, they get the same old “Prey 2 was never a game” and “It was just a demo” thrown around. Shameful. And completely untrue."

I really hate Bethesda.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #569
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I really hate a lot of publishers. But, in the end, I won't let that stop me from buying a game from them. Otherwise, I'd have no games to play.

As for PREY 2, these "rumors" (if true) are definitely pissing me off.
While we never really got to see a lot of it, what was shown of PREY 2 looked amazing. From the screenshots, the live action trailers and the gameplay demo that was shown. It all got me very excited and really made me WANT the game.

Bethesda pissed me off on the project when they delayed it indefinitely stating it was because the game hadn't meet their quality standards. Yet, they allowed Brink to be released without issue.
I always figured there was something else going on behind the scenes between ZeniMax and Human head that we'd most likely never get to be fully aware of.

And while I like Arkane. I loved DisHonored and really enjoyed Dark Messiah. And I'm sure I'll really enjoy what they deliver as PREY 2 (again, if the rumors are true). But, I'm still incredibly disappointed and annoyed that Human Head's incredibly impressive project won't be seeing the light of day.
I'm still going to buy Bethesda games. As is I'm really excited for The Evil Inside and the new Wolfenstein project. And I'm sure I'll grab PREY 2 when (if) it ever comes out. But, I'm definitely pissed and frustrated by how the whole situation has worked out.

Oh well, at least we got an awesome looking Shadow Warrior to look forward to this year.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #570
ScrewingUpMyRide

A lot of what happened to Brink was having it's release moved forward just like New Vegas. Unlike Human Head, Splash Damage and Obsidian had deeper pockets and could finish the game despite the strain on finances.

http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/...ed-human-head/

Bethesda promised Human Head a 6-month extension to polish Prey 2. Bethesda later retracted the new 6-month schedule before it was written into the contract. Bethesda then began denying Milestone payments to Human Head. Bethesda was more interested in how Human Head ran their team and studio. The original contract forbid Human Head to start their own project until Prey 2 was finished. Additional time was asked to finish Prey 2 after Milestone rejection delayed the schedule. Bethesda thought the game was “lackluster” and “needed a lot of work” Bethesda attempted to purchase Human Head Studios during this dispute. Prey 2 production halted in November of 2011 until Bethesda could come to their senses. Human Head offered multiple solutions to finish the project with Bethesda. Bethesda chose not to speak with Human Head in over a year. The rights to develop Prey 2 have now reverted back to Bethesda.

What a bummer. If true, I'm so disappointed. It was easily my most anticipated game.

Re Shadow Warrior: Seeing the 3DR logo next to Digital Devolver and Flying Wild Hog on start up is going to be sweet. Really happy with what I've seen so far. We'll be seeing a ton more at E3, and it will be playable at Rezzed so it must be pretty far along and in great shape to present it to the public.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #571
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

It's releasing on PC this year, so yay for Shadow Warrior.

And yeah, I read that recent write about PREY 2 this afternoon. I'm just saying Bethesda's excuse is clearly bullshit. They want to site a lack of quality as to why they delayed PREY 2... yet released a steaming pile like Brink.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #572
ScrewingUpMyRide

Love Re: The Prey 2 Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
And yeah, I read that recent write about PREY 2 this afternoon. I'm just saying Bethesda's excuse is clearly bullshit. They want to site a lack of quality as to why they delayed PREY 2... yet released a steaming pile like Brink.
Yeah man.

This is the part that really clarifies why Bethesda would pursue Human Head so aggressively. "Bethesda thought they could bully [Human Head] into a corner. It was one of few studios that could work with and improve id Technology. They wanted to buy us at a sweet price. They were bleeding us dry.”

Aside from Raven, who are owned by Activision, Human Head are one of the only other studios that have over a decade of Id Tech experience that could be bought. I mean they managed to make Id Tech 4 support open-world gameplay. That's huge!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #573
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yeah, I would love for Raven to be able to get away from Activision. Would be a dream come true.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #574
hellchicken
Quote:
I really hate a lot of publishers. But, in the end, I won't let that stop me from buying a game from them. Otherwise, I'd have no games to play.

As for PREY 2, these "rumors" (if true) are definitely pissing me off.
While we never really got to see a lot of it, what was shown of PREY 2 looked amazing. From the screenshots, the live action trailers and the gameplay demo that was shown. It all got me very excited and really made me WANT the game.
That's pretty much how I feel. However, if all these rumours about Bethesda and the going-ons behind the scenes of the PREY2 development were to be confirmed then I don't see myself buying Arkanes version of PREY 2. Simply out of principle.

Truth is I do not care for the PREY franchise in the slightest. I like the game, it's alright, but there isn't anything particularly interesting about it's plot and setting that ever made me wish for another installment.

PREY 2 wasn't on my radar at all until I saw Human Heads version and that is still the game I want to play. For all I care they can call it "Space Cop" and release it without any ties to the PREY franchise.
Last edited by hellchicken; 06-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #575
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

If the rumors are true, and Arkane are working on a PREY 2, I won't refuse to buy it. I'm not going to ignore the hard work of a studio I like simply because they get screwed over by a publisher.

I like Arkane. Dark Messiah was flawed, but fun... and DisHonored was awesome. So, while it won't be the PREY 2 I wanted, it could still be a great game. And I won't acknowledge the hard work of a good studio simply because of how they came to work on the project.

Bethesda can sit and spin IMO. But, I'm still gonna support id, Arkane, Obsidian and a few other studios with ties to Bethesda. It'd be like not supporting Raven just because they are owned by Activision.
Or, ignoring Visceral because EA pulls the strings. Makes me sad, but I'd still rather see first hand just what they are doing these days.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #576
hellchicken
Quote:
If the rumors are true, and Arkane are working on a PREY 2, I won't refuse to buy it. I'm not going to ignore the hard work of a studio I like simply because they get screwed over by a publisher.

Can't argue with your opinion.

Personally I liked Dishonored, but that doesn't mean I would be willing to support Arkane (specifically a new Arkane development team that was not involved in Dishonoreds development, correct?) in a project I had no prior interest in and which apparently they are not happy to be invovled with now.

That whole affair just really smells bad now.

Also, I'll have you know that I still fully support Raven Software......

.....by buying all the Call of Duty map packs.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #577
ScrewingUpMyRide

Leaked Prey 2 screens! http://www.lightninggamingnews.com/t...ots-of-prey-2/
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #578
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Bethesda commented on PREY 2 at QuakeCon.
They denied the rumors that Arkane was taking over development. Simply answering "No." to the question..
And then commented on why PREY 2 was delayed.

Guess what! It's the same lazy reason they've dropped the last two times they commented on it. Almost word for word. The game wasn't meeting the quality levels and expectations Bethesda had in place.
Sorry, but, when I hear the same thing trying to be forced at me multiple times... I can't help but think, "There's a lot more going on then we're being told."

Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #579
ScrewingUpMyRide

Yep. It's a rehearsed statement. He didn't touch on any of the serious allegations like the hostile takeover or developer strike. This whole thing stinks.

Edit check out this Arkane response: http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/fan-asks-arkane/
They don't share the same message as Pete Hines. It seems likely that Arkane will be rebooting Prey 2, and Hines and co. are getting around the issue by taking the game in an entirely different direction.
Last edited by ScrewingUpMyRide; 08-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #580
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewingUpMyRide View Post
Yep. It's a rehearsed statement. He didn't touch on any of the serious allegations like the hostile takeover or developer strike. This whole thing stinks.

Edit check out this Arkane response: http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/fan-asks-arkane/
They don't share the same message as Pete Hines. It seems likely that Arkane will be rebooting Prey 2, and Hines and co. are getting around the issue by taking the game in an entirely different direction.
Rock Paper Shotgun/ Kotaku reports that what Bethesda said is pretty much bullshit and leaked emails have pretty much confirmed that Arkane Austin have been working on Prey 2 since May.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #581
ScrewingUpMyRide

Arkane's new game will be using the CryEngine, instead of Unreal 4 or id Tech-5. https://twitter.com/couchtocrossfit/...73842804318209

The revelations that Bethesda went a whole year without communicating with Human Head is disgusting. That supersedes any possible issues the project might've had.

Some details from the former lead level designer:

"It hasn't been cancelled for legal reasons. Until Bethesda is ready to announce Arkane's new version, they won't update any details confessing Human Head's no longer working on it."

"Originally Tommy was the bounty hunter in Prey 2. Then Bethesda said to get rid of him because they believed Tommy wasn't a protagonist the majority of players would relate to since he was Native American. When people complained about the lack of Tommy, Bethesda allowed Human Head to put him back into the game."

"More things from Prey 1 besides Tommy made appearances in Prey 2 which were never shown to the public. That was so you could have some warm fuzzy surprises as you played the game.

It's set in the same universe as the first Prey, much in the same way Empire Strikes Back was set in the same universe as the first Star Wars, yet both stories took place in vastly different locations. Just because you didn't see Lightsabers in a Star Wars trailer doesn't mean they weren't going to be in the movie.

It's too bad no one will ever play this version of the game to find out what really happened between Prey 1 and Prey 2.

And Killian had a translator, so the aliens you hear aren't actually speaking English. Killian would have made his own choices what it should translate to... allowing you as the player to actually understand what's going on. Everything you hear could have been subject to Killian's interpretation or mood at the time; even the name of the planet he's stranded on."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4

I love that Bethesda initially told journalists that the game was just a tech demo before switching to saying it didn't meet their quality bar and that Human Head couldn't execute on a great design. Which is why they attempted to buy the studio and shut them down when they didn't get their way? Right. Awful people.

If Bethesda had chosen to let Human Head finish the original Prey 2, we would probably be playing Prey 3 next year, having played Prey 2 a year ago.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #582
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewingUpMyRide View Post
"Originally Tommy was the bounty hunter in Prey 2. Then Bethesda said to get rid of him because they believed Tommy wasn't a protagonist the majority of players would relate to since he was Native American.
WHAAAT???
Bethesda can go f*** itself. I thought Tommy was a GREAT protagonist, and most of his charisma actually came from being Native American, which is something you practically never see in movies or games!
Something that makes me even angrier is that Prey 2 is in this situation because of DNF. Or should I say, because of the insistence of 3DRealms to develop DNF internally. They wanted developers to keep working on DNF, but they had to pay them, so they sold their most solid IPs (Max Payne and Prey) to get money. So they got the money and paid the developers of DNF for some more years, which was the same as flushing it down the toilet, considering how in the end they had to admit that they were completely incapable to develop it internally and give the rights to Gearbox.
George said "If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." Had he admitted it in 2002 and commissioned its development to an external studio, we would've probably got DNF in 2003, Prey in 2006 as we actually did, Prey 2 in 2010 or so (with Tommy as the main character) and now we would be waiting for Prey 3!
Last edited by Altered Reality; 12-11-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #583
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
WHAAAT???
Bethesda can go f*** itself. I thought Tommy was a GREAT protagonist, and most of his charisma actually came from being Native American, which is something you practically never see in movies or games!
Something that makes me even angrier is that Prey 2 is in this situation because of DNF. Or should I say, because of the insistence of 3DRealms to develop DNF internally. They wanted developers to keep working on DNF, but they had to pay them, so they sold their most solid IPs (Max Payne and Prey) to get money. So they got the money and paid the developers of DNF for some more years, which was the same as flushing it down the toilet, considering how in the end they had to admit that they were completely incapable to develop it internally and give the rights to Gearbox.
George said "If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." Had he admitted it in 2002 and commissioned its development to an external studio, we would've probably got DNF in 2003, Prey in 2006 as we actually did, Prey 2 in 2010 or so (with Tommy as the main character) and now we would be waiting for Prey 3!
An argument could be made for the reverse if memory serves. Prey 1 was scheduled to go earlier with a new in-house engine. But the technology was too complex to come to fruition and diverted resources away from their other project, DNF.

Iirc, they said they learned from the Prey experience not to pursue multiple projects. The initial team fractures centered around Prey, whose members went on to found/join Ion Storm & Ritual.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #584
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

And now.. both Ion Storm and Ritual are no more. (even though Ritual still exists technically... but it's not the same place).
But, Gearbox was born out of issues at 3DRealms as well.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #585
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
An argument could be made for the reverse if memory serves. Prey 1 was scheduled to go earlier with a new in-house engine. But the technology was too complex to come to fruition and diverted resources away from their other project, DNF.
I know (as I said in the past, I have archived every development log, plan update and interview they released about Prey), and they attempted it three times. The first time it was an engine by Tom Hall, the second time an engine by William Scarboro, the third time an engine by Corrinne Yu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
Iirc, they said they learned from the Prey experience not to pursue multiple projects.
Yes, and they learned the wrong lesson. They should have learned, not to avoid pursuing multiple projects, but to avoid working on any internal project at all and commission everything to external studios while working exclusively as producers, while profiting on their IPs. They could have learned this in 1999; unfortunately, it took them 10 more years, a lawsuit, the sale of three great IPs and two more restarts in the development of DNF.
Which means they had observed a second project go pear-shaped exactly like a previous one (start, fail, restart, fail, restart, fail...) and they somehow were still convinced they could make it, despite the same things happening in both projects.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #586
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I've always said that 3DRealms is a better producer then developer. Max Payne and PREY still stand as two of my favorite games ever, and because 3DR supported the right developer.
I feel this would have been the best path for them, and in that vein... was sad to see that we'll never get the 3DR produced and Gearbox developed Duke Begins.
Which, I feel would've been a much different beast then the Duke game GBX make on their own.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #587
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:
I've always said that 3DRealms is a better producer then developer. Max Payne and PREY still stand as two of my favorite games ever, and because 3DR supported the right developer.
I feel this would have been the best path for them, and in that vein... was sad to see that we'll never get the 3DR produced and Gearbox developed Duke Begins.
Which, I feel would've been a much different beast then the Duke game GBX make on their own.
I agree with everything you said.

Duke Begins and Recoil's game would've been great. George and Scott are fantastic producers. They continued to support Human Head's first stab at Prey 2 (2008-2009, after Ubisoft dropped their Echo game) which helped solidify what that game needed to be and basically saved the studio. They know to create unique games that stand out mechanically and thematically from the competition.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #588
ScrewingUpMyRide

Double post incoming.

Some folks from Arkane have leaked some Prey 2 pitch documents.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/227321234/Prey-2-Document-1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/227321489/Prey-2-Document-2

It's confirms Arkane's game is a completely new title that share nothing in common with Human Head's Prey 2.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #589
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Saw those a few days ago.
I... really don't like the idea of trying to make it a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2.

But, then again, I just want Human Head's PREY 2. This "concept"... meh.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #590
ScrewingUpMyRide

Me too. It's a shame they've split Arkane into a two project studio. I'm sure Dishonored 2 (Lyon) will be great, but some of the new hires at Arkane Texas are... lets just say a little worrying. The pitch really doesn't do much for me. It's certainly isn't as excited as what Human Head came up with.

I'm sure it'll get a free pass because they name-drop System Shock; a game that Arkane has nothing to do with. Is this the third S.S. spiritual successor? First Bioshock and then Dead Space? It certainly has some big shoes to fill.