Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
Acleacius
Level load times, problems, thanks for any help :)
I have recently run into problems with running Max Payne. I have had no problems in the past with it on Win 98 or Xp, well no serious problem. Recently at about 50% load of a level I am getting a huge slow down, like 60 sec to get from 50% to full load, plus 5 sec to get from 0 to 50% load. Its as if MP was build a swap file kind of delay, which seems really strange. I have actually reinstalled MP about 3 to 4 times and even XP (for other reasons) with the same results.
My system is P4 2.8 and TI4600. I have tried year old Detenators 4103's, 6 month Det's 4345 and current 4523's.
I have a Via chipset running 448 and DX 9.1. Best I remember is it would take 10 to 15 sec to load inital map.
Now the reason I say it seems like a swap is being built is the Quiclk load isworking fine 3 to 5 sec's. I have always (well since it was released used patch 105 if I use a mod it Ultimate.
This is a recent probem, maybe DX 9?
This only happens with MP, sadly it one of my favorites, thou now its a real pain to play cause many movies and story paynes are thier own map load so I can wait almost 3 to 4 min at times watching to movies and the next level
load, Ouch :*(
Old 10-11-2003, 03:28 AM   #2
Joonas
Re: Level load times, problems, thanks for any help :)
Quote:
I have recently run into problems with running Max Payne. I have had no problems in the past with it on Win 98 or Xp, well no serious problem. Recently at about 50% load of a level I am getting a huge slow down, like 60 sec to get from 50% to full load, plus 5 sec to get from 0 to 50% load. Its as if MP was build a swap file kind of delay, which seems really strange. I have actually reinstalled MP about 3 to 4 times and even XP (for other reasons) with the same results.
My system is P4 2.8 and TI4600. I have tried year old Detenators 4103's, 6 month Det's 4345 and current 4523's.
I have a Via chipset running 448 and DX 9.1. Best I remember is it would take 10 to 15 sec to load inital map.
Now the reason I say it seems like a swap is being built is the Quiclk load isworking fine 3 to 5 sec's. I have always (well since it was released used patch 105 if I use a mod it Ultimate.
This is a recent probem, maybe DX 9?
This only happens with MP, sadly it one of my favorites, thou now its a real pain to play cause many movies and story paynes are thier own map load so I can wait almost 3 to 4 min at times watching to movies and the next level
load, Ouch :*(
Try two things: Update the graphics card's drivers and defrag.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Acleacius
Re: Level load times, problems, thanks for any help :)
Thanks for the reply.
The Detenators (sp) I mentioned it tried 4 from over the last year including the current lastest as well with the Via chipset drivers. I defrag every day or 2 never more than a week.