Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
ixfd64

Bad HDD? Bad mobo?
One of our computers at work (an Acer Veriton X desktop) has had a history of problems. A few months ago, it complained that the chassis was open when it wasn't, but clearing the BIOS solved the problem. The computer also BSOD'd a few times, although it hasn't happened in a very long time.

However, the problems have recently become serious. About two weeks ago, the computer complained of a "disk read error" and was unable to boot up. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del a few times solved the problem. Unfortunately, the same thing happened today; when I restarted the machine, it was unable load Windows. It did run a diagnostic test but could not automatically make repairs. Restarting a second time solved the problem.

Incidentally, the sound from the computer does seem slightly louder than that of the other machines, although it doesn't sound anything like the "click of death" associated with head crashes.

Could the problem still be HDD-related? Or could it be something else, like a bad motherboard? In any case, I've notified the users of the computer that they should make a backup as soon as possible.

Visit my forums!
Last edited by ixfd64; 04-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Shielder
Re: Bad HD? Bad mobo?
Sounds to me like the motherboard. We've got a HP desktop at work that's exhibiting very similar behaviour.

If I load Windows XP onto it, it will work fine for a while then if I reboot will suddenly make it start going haywire. BSODs, Disk read errors, fails to load Windows, fails to acknowledge that some of the RAM is there.

If I replace the mobo, then the rest of the components work as expected. Replacing the HDD with the original mobo makes no difference as it still exhibits the same problems.

Anyway, i'm digressing a bit here. Some of the problems may call for being a HDD problem, but the computer previously complaining of an open chassis makes me suspect that the mobo has been slowly dying over time.

Is it possible to clone a copy of the existing hard disk to another known working hard disk and try that first?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Jiminator

Re: Bad HD? Bad mobo?
your hdd might be slow to spin up in time. i'd copy the drive first.