Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Strange disconnection from Internet
I'm only able to get online right now by connecting my BlackBerry to my computer.

So here's the deal. I have an Asus G73 laptop with Windows7. I was using the computer yesterday, no problem. Didn't install, uninstall, download or change anything. Today, for some reason, when I turned the computer on I didn't have any Internet access at all. So I called Time Warner Cable and did all the usual troubleshooting techniques...disabled my antivirus software, reset the cable modem, restarted my computer, tweaked some of my internet options on IE and Mozilla Firefox. Nothing worked.

However, the person at Time Warner had me run ipconfig and we both had the same IP address for my computer, which means that my computer and the cable modem are both connected to the server. So the Time Warner person suggested that there's something wrong with my computer itself that is somehow preventing it from communicating with its Internet connection.

Any ideas? Please help!

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Dopefish7590

Re: Strange disconnection from Internet
Well, lets see if I can help you out...

First, something worth checking in IPConfig.
Hold the [Windows Key] and tap [R]... A "Run" dialog should appear. in here, type "cmd" and hit [Enter]. In the black box that appears, type "ipconfig" and hit [Enter].

What are the first digits of your IP Address? 174? 192? 10? If it is neither of these, then you are connected directly to your router and it would be your external address. Also note your default gateway.

Type "ping <Default Gateway IP>" (Eg: If my default gateway was 7.5.9.0, I would type "ping 7.5.9.0") Does this work? If it does... It very well may not be your computer because it connected to the router correctly.

Try releasing and renewing your IP Address lease, type the following into your CMD window.

Code:
ipconfig -release
ipconfig -renew
Can you ping Google? (ping google.com)
Also try doing a tracert to google... (tracert google.com)
Does it fail? And if so, where?

Do you have any extra network hardware like a firewall? (The physical device, not a software one.)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
NutWrench

Restore point?
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
FullMetalJacket
Thank you for the tips, I tried everything but nothing helped. Whenever I try to troubleshoot my network connection, it says "The connection between the access point, modem, or router and your computer is broken." Again, this came out of nowhere because everything worked perfectly the day before yesterday.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
NutWrench

Give this a try . . .
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
FullMetalJacket
Thanks again for the tips, but once again nothing helped. I tried performing a clean boot, I tried disabling all my security software, I tried resetting the TCP/IP stack, and I tried resetting the winsock connection. I still can't get online.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Dopefish7590

Well, can you ping your router? (How to in my first post.)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
FullMetalJacket
Yes, from the ping the first digits of my IP address are 192.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Dopefish7590

If you can ping your router, then we've ruled out your computer being the problem... It looks like that it's your router. Try typing your router's IP address (The address you pinged) into a web browser. Is there a filter of any sort on?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Nessus

I'm experiencing problems like this. I'm convinced my old router is to blame. I drop IP's and stuff, youtube is at a crawl. I think the router doesn't want to play with windows 7. People I know have gotten new routers and their problems went away so I'm going to do it too.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
I'm experiencing problems like this. I'm convinced my old router is to blame. I drop IP's and stuff, youtube is at a crawl. I think the router doesn't want to play with windows 7. People I know have gotten new routers and their problems went away so I'm going to do it too.
Not sure how an OS can affect it, but have you tried configuring your PC with a static IP?

(If you don't know how, I'll give a little How-To, I'm just to lazy to type it at the moment. -_-)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Nessus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
Not sure how an OS can affect it, but have you tried configuring your PC with a static IP?

(If you don't know how, I'll give a little How-To, I'm just to lazy to type it at the moment. -_-)

I know how to do it and never tried it. The disconnects and IP errors are pretty rare, it's the slow speed that is killing me. XP ran fine but Mac OSX and WIn7 are both slow since I replaced XP. I'm thinking it's the way these new mature OS's work with the router or that the router is too old to play nice with other newer equipment throughout the food chain. Don't know but I do want to ditch it. Like I said, others in my area have done so and seen their problems go away. The router is at least 10 years old.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Easy test is to plug directly into the modem... if the problem goes away replace your router.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
I know how to do it and never tried it. The disconnects and IP errors are pretty rare, it's the slow speed that is killing me. XP ran fine but Mac OSX and WIn7 are both slow since I replaced XP. I'm thinking it's the way these new mature OS's work with the router or that the router is too old to play nice with other newer equipment throughout the food chain. Don't know but I do want to ditch it. Like I said, others in my area have done so and seen their problems go away. The router is at least 10 years old.
Well, the thing is that Windows doesn't really mess with the router, which is why I found your problem a bit... perplexing.

Windows and Mac simply try to connect to an IP to send/receive data, the router is just there to allow you to connect to your ISP's WAN.

Ninjaedit: Wait a second... Are you by any chance trying to use IPv6?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Easy test is to plug directly into the modem... if the problem goes away replace your router.
I tried plugging my laptop directly into the cable modem. Still no Internet. But I still get TV and my Xbox 360 can still access Xbox live, so the problem is not with the modem itself.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Well i'd submit to you that something is wrong with your laptop.

You could try one of the cd/usb bootable Linux kernels. If your ethernet works via linux then something is wrong in windows. If your internet doesn't work in Linux then you have a hardware problem and you need to contact Asus for a warranty repair. Be prepared to spend an ungodly amount of time on the phone.
Last edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod; 11-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
You could try one of the cd/usb bootable Linux kernels.
Ubuntu has a good LiveCD...

You just download the ISO, burn it to a CD, and boot your computer from it.
When it asks say "Try Ubuntu without making any changes to my computer". (Or something along those lines)
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
I tried plugging my laptop directly into the cable modem. Still no Internet. But I still get TV and my Xbox 360 can still access Xbox live, so the problem is not with the modem itself.
I had a problem where my modem was fine but I couldn't browse the internet. Steam worked so I tried entering ip addresses in my browser and that worked too. Some dns problem on windows I think. It had another registry issue that may have been related so I reinstalled my OS, which solved everything.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #19
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
I had a problem where my modem was fine but I couldn't browse the internet. Steam worked so I tried entering ip addresses in my browser and that worked too. Some dns problem on windows I think. It had another registry issue that may have been related so I reinstalled my OS, which solved everything.
Well, reinstalling Windows to solve a DNS issue is like trying to kill a fly with a rocket launcher... Sure it will get the job done, but it does considerably more and the cleanup is much more trouble than its worth.

I solved my DNS issues by switching DNS servers, a good one is Google's DNS... This main server is at 8.8.8.8, and the alternate is 8.8.4.4

If you can see two little computers next to the clock in Windows (The network icon), [Right Click] that and click "Open network connections"... If that doesn't exist on your system, go Start > Control Panel > Network > Edit Network Connections.

In this list you should see the connection interfaces, what we are interested in is the one you use primarily for the internet (Probably a FastEthernet port, or the brand name of your Network Card), [Right Click] it, and click properties. Scroll down the list and open the TC/IP Protocol and from there, you can configure your IP address and DNS servers manually. Just edit the DNS fields with the values mentioned above ands "Apply" your settings.

Does it work now..?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #20
Kalki

It works now obviously, after the reinstall. While I didn't try google's DNS, manually entering my isp's ip and dns servers (all 3) did not work. There was no problem with my ISP's DNS as the same connection worked when I plugged the cable modem directly into my laptop. My wireless router worked fine too. The problem was on my desktop PC and reoccurred when I tried a mobile usb connection from another isp.

A backup and reinstall was way overdue btw. I'm trying to keep a fairly clean system now. The fly was an annoyance. I used the rocket launcher on the rotting building it sat on.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Nessus

To clarify I'm not using a router I'm right into the cable modem. It's the modem itself I think is old and it's more likely that it's not working well with other new equipment in the neighborhood than it is with the new OS's but I can't rule that out because it was all fine under XP.

I messed that up, I meant modem not router.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
Nessus

For a followup I got a new modem and it quadrupled my speed or more instantly. THe cable guy goes, "Holy crap you have one of those? THat thing is ancient, I haven't seen one in forever.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
FullMetalJacket
My problem has been fixed. After calling Time Warner Cable for the third time, I actually talked to a competent employee and it turns out there was a problem with the "auto-permissions" from their end. Now I'm online again.

Still, thanks for all the troubleshooting tips, everybody. Much appreciated!