Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
jbailey

source code projects
I am currently seriously looking into starting up my own
webpage so I can post my rott/duke3d source code layout projects. This way, no one has to download anything, and I can generate/post full layouts with no file size restrictions. The only problem is that I'll need between 8-10 gigs of storage capacity, and while I've found a couple of web hosting sites that will do that (haven't signed up yet), they want between $200-$250 a month for that kind of capacity.
I might be willing to do this anyway if there is enough
interest. So I'm asking how many people that are working on the rott/duke3d stuff would be interested enough in my projects to make this worth the time/money I'll be investing? Other things I would be doing also would be:

1. updating the reports as required to reflect the latest versions of the port(s)
2. doing constant error checking and making any corrections.

and of course, anyone finding any errors that I am not aware of would report them to me so I can fix them.

So, what do you think? should I do this or not?
If I do start this, it could be a couple of weeks or so before the site goes active.

Thanks!
jbailey

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
Old 12-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Dark Pulse
Re: source code projects
I think Duke3D's got several going, still, if you think it's worth it, go for it.

As for ROTT, all that exists is Icculus's simple ports, so give it a shot, I wanna try this game.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
jbailey

Hello All,
Due to the sheer size of the layout (around 12 gigs and counting), it won't be practical financially at least to create
a web site for this, the last possible host I checked out wanted around $250 a month for about 10 gigs of storage, and it goes up from there, and what's more this doesn't even count the duke 3d source layouts I would like to do, estimated total for all projects: about 35 gigs or so. The only
way I see to do this now is to post all of this stuff in newsgroups, but even there, it would be a massive download, I wanted to use a website so no-one would have to download this thing. So unless I can figure out a way to break up the layouts into smaller pieces(and still have them remain usable), this isn't going to happen. Does anyone who is interested in this project have any ideas? Because if I post this entire thing to usenet, it would take forever to download even with a high speed cable connection.

jbailey

jbailey
Old 01-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Dark Pulse
WinRAR can split a file into Chunks.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
jbailey

Yes, I know that, but that's not what I meant, what I was talking about was keeping the main code bases seperate from eachother eg:

do a sdl code project with no game code in it. vice-versa for rott, do only the core rott code by itself and no sdl code.

This would make each project by itself smaller, but if your were interested in looking up sdl code from the game code, this would not be possible. My current project has all related code in it in one big project, but it's so big, it's nearly impossible to handle.

At the moment, I'm trying to determine how much work it would be to turn my computer into it's own web server, that would fix the hosting problem, it would be essentially free, and I could update the projects on my local drive and leave it there, but I've never even attempted this before, so I'm not sure if it would work, and also my isp might complain (bandwidth issues probably).

jbailey

jbailey
Old 01-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Dave2
Considered using BitTorrent, perhaps?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
jbailey

Thanks!, I hadn't thought of that, I already have overnet and edonkey running on my system, I would prefer not to set up anything else unless it's really necessary. Would anyone be interested in using one of those networks or should I go ahead and try bittorrent?

jbailey

Note: I'll have to re-generate the project, I deleted it a few
days ago.

jbailey
Old 01-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
jbailey

I'm currently trying to get torrent set up, but I keep running into conflicting information about how to set up various things. Does anyone know a good up-to-date step by step sort of faq I can look at so I can get this going? All of the faqs I've looked at so far are either out of date, or have conflicting info. I have a torrent service set up on my system
(I think) but I can't tell for sure what I need to do next. I've read stuff about a tracker and setting up your own ip address - please help!

thanks!
jbailey

jbailey