Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Altered Reality

Question UnrealEd 1 vs. UnrealEd 3
During the last days I tried to make the same level, first with UnrealEd 3 (Unreal Engine Runtime), then with UnrealEd 1 (Unreal Gold). After a while, I noticed how much faster I was going with UnrealEd 1. Thinking about what I was doing, I remembered that in UnrealEd 3 I was often opening and closing windows, as well as moving them around, to switch from main level editing to texture selection to actor selection and viceversa. On the contrary, UnrealEd 1 had everything in the same window, so switching from actor selection to texture selection only required a single mouse click, and I always had the level editing area in full view, without the need of moving any window around.
This is why I'm asking: is there any way to customize UnrealEd 3's interface to make it more UnrealEd1-like?
Old 06-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Parkar

Re: UnrealEd 1 vs. UnrealEd 3
Three words,
dual screen setup.

Don't think you can make it part of the ui but you could unlock the viewports and manualy place them and the browser window so they don't overlap and get a result similar to what you have in ued1. I think you would end up with a rather small working area for the viewports though I am afraid.

Best way to use ued3 though is to plug in a second monitor, can be a realy old one that only handles 800x600 but thats enough to hold the browser window. Just remeber that the secondary screen needs to be to the right of the primary screen or ued3 will think you have lost the window when you move it off to the left and snap it back when you hit the mouse button again.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Altered Reality

Argh, I can't plug in a second monitor, because I have a laptop and the VGA-out port is used by my Z800 visor. I'll try your first suggestion.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
nexx
You mean docking the browser windows? So the Texture, Actor, Sound, Staticmesh browsers etc are all in the one and you switch between them with tabs.

I dont have access to UnrealEd3 atm but iirc there is a 'dock' button on each browser window? It should attach it to the dockable window.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
mikenet2005

I prefer a dual screen setup as well. You have the ability to have one view be in perspective mode, and the other can easily be top, front, or side at the click of a button. Why strian to look at 4 windows when all you really need is two, especialy considering how easy it is to switch perpectives at any given moment. I never really used unrealed 1.0 but if I had to compare 2.0 to 3.0 id have to say that 3.0 has a nearly identical interface but with three times the editing power.

The bottem line however is this, If you really want to make a level look great youre gonna need a program like 3dsmax, or maya to assist the unreal editor in creating complex shapes that simply cant be done with any unreal editor by itself. Static meshes is the thing that brings modern 1st person shooters to life in a similar way that sprites help bring a game like duke3d to life.