Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
ixfd64

warning sign of USB drive failure?
I have a 8 GB USB flash drive that I haven't that much. A while ago, the drive showed as empty when I plugged it in to a computer. I had about 100 MB of data on the drive. However, the problem went away when I removed it and put it back in. All of the files on the drive were intact.

Is this just a normal glitch, or is it a sign of something more sinister? I'm aware that flash drives have relatively short lifespans compared to hard drives, so I want to know if it's time to switch to a new flash drive.

Visit my forums!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Kalki

Re: warning sign of USB drive failure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
I have a 8 GB USB flash drive that I haven't that much. A while ago, the drive showed as empty when I plugged it in to a computer. I had about 100 MB of data on the drive. However, the problem went away when I removed it and put it back in. All of the files on the drive were intact.

Is this just a normal glitch, or is it a sign of something more sinister? I'm aware that flash drives have relatively short lifespans compared to hard drives, so I want to know if it's time to switch to a new flash drive.
Could be an isolated incident with you not plugging it in properly. I had that happen with my 8gb memory card on my card reader with the PC asking to format it and thought it was corrupted until I tried it on my laptop. Trying it back on my PC worked again.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Llama Gibbz

Re: warning sign of USB drive failure?
Not unless your coming close to formatting or rewriting data to the drive 100,000 times.

1.Misreads or corrupt data more than likely will come from not inserting or removing the drive correctly.

2.The OS could also crank out error while writing data.
Don't multitask while moving large amounts of data.

3.A faulty usb port could also short it out.