Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #201
KO Gilligan

Re: how would you like DNF being revealed?
Remember the "viral" marketing B.S. JJ Abrams did with Cloverfield?

What a piece of crap movie.

Unfortunately, I'm with several here in thinking there is a chance that this whole thing is just part of some viral BS that may not even be Duke Nukem.

In my case, I think it's unlikely that it's not DNF, but marketing has become a series of trickery, smoke and mirrors. It works so well, I expect that we haven't even begun to see the end of speculation building mystery quotes. It's intentional, and it works.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #202
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Remember the "viral" marketing B.S. JJ Abrams did with Cloverfield?

What a piece of crap movie.

Unfortunately, I'm with several here in thinking there is a chance that this whole thing is just part of some viral BS that may not even be Duke Nukem.

In my case, I think it's unlikely that it's not DNF, but marketing has become a series of trickery, smoke and mirrors. It works so well, I expect that we haven't even begun to see the end of speculation building mystery quotes. It's intentional, and it works.
Oh my GAWD I HaTED that movie, I followed the viral forever then they give us NOTHING I was so mad, I see what you're saying but I think that the film world is different than the gaming industry IMO
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #203
mr.smith

maybe it is Duke Begins.
they stopped working on it last may due to the courtcase, and as of may 2010 the case was settled.

maybe 3DRealms said get the trilogy & Duke Begins out asap, so it can build up for DNF. afterall it is Gearbox who was secretly working on Duke begins in the first place.

So maybe it will be Duke Begins only time will tell... or PAX
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #204
Untamed

Duke Nukem Forever or Duke Begins, whichever is to be released first, should be advertised by having volunteers walking around in highly detailed pigcop suits/costumes with the release date on the uniform.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #205
PredatorFL

When I see Duke Nukem Forever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tourettesguy.jpg (32.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #206
str4fe114

I want the megadeth be in there on the stage playing the duke nukem theme song which had been inspired by megadeth and the cover made by megadeth.

with huge letters in the background "ITS DONE - Duke Nukem Forever"
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #207
JobivanHiob

a DNF announcement trailer which takes about 3 minutes at the end or right at the beginning of the GBX PAX panel.
But I could imagine it being at the end to blow everyone out of the water...and of course there needs to stand a release date at the end or at least the release date of the demo.
After the trailer there is just silence in the room...Randy starts talking in his professional tone about the work on DNF and that this trailer marks the end of the media blackout until the release of the game early next year.
The Panel ends and grabbag music starts playing...everyone's standing up and beginning to leave the room realising what just happend.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #208
pjVgt

There is really nothing needed - just megadeth intro and a atomic explosion on the big screen, everyone will get it.

I would seriously shit my pants and pre-order three copies - one will be sent to Jobi, second to Gilligan and third to Kaiser.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #209
Valdsator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
The Panel ends and grabbag music starts playing...everyone's standing up and beginning to leave the room realising what just happend.
I think people would stay and listen to the music. :P
Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #210
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
There is really nothing needed - just megadeth intro and a atomic explosion on the big screen, everyone will get it.

I would seriously shit my pants and pre-order three copies - one will be sent to Jobi, second to Gilligan and third to Kaiser.
that would make it the second DNF copy for me!
I will quote you on that

EDIT: see my sig!
Last edited by JobivanHiob; 08-26-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #211
Dark Rabbit
How would I reaallly like Duke Nukem Forever revealed?

When you're sitting at PAX, and there is a screen: "It's done" with a Nuke symbol.
Everyone applauds wildly, and then the real kicker comes...
The screen then flashes "The aliens are real." People laugh, thinking it's a funny joke. Randy is now at the mike, he swallows nervously, and says, "No, it really is real. Duke is real. Those first two games, they are real. They were reconstructions of top secret missions that Duke was on, but that the government tried to keep hush-hush. Right now, I'm seriously going to tell you to evacuate the building, because aliens have just invaded en mass and they are now laying siege to LA and other cities. You need to leave, NOW." Just as he says this, dozens of armed SWAT officers come pouring in. But only, they're not human anymore...

Gosh, I'm soo weird...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #212
Duke's New Chainsaw

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #213
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rabbit View Post
How would I reaallly like Duke Nukem Forever revealed?

When you're sitting at PAX, and there is a screen: "It's done" with a Nuke symbol.
Everyone applauds wildly, and then the real kicker comes...
The screen then flashes "The aliens are real." People laugh, thinking it's a funny joke. Randy is now at the mike, he swallows nervously, and says, "No, it really is real. Duke is real. Those first two games, they are real. They were reconstructions of top secret missions that Duke was on, but that the government tried to keep hush-hush. Right now, I'm seriously going to tell you to evacuate the building, because aliens have just invaded en mass and they are now laying siege to LA and other cities. You need to leave, NOW." Just as he says this, dozens of armed SWAT officers come pouring in. But only, they're not human anymore...

Gosh, I'm soo weird...
and then the REAL Duke busts the door in and starts mowing down 'SWAT' people running everywhere!

Then one stray ricocheting bullet flies back and blows Dukes brains out, the aliens take over, we are made slaves to our new overlords until we are extinct....

The real world blows
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #214
KaiserSoze

Full blown trailer at PAX. Trailer ends with "It's done: Release date 9/14/10"

Shock and awe. Give those Halo boys a run for the money.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #215
GOGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post

Both first day purchases
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #216
JobivanHiob

Quote:

OMG....about one week after the Announcement????

That would be MADNESS!

I don't know what I should think about it. I would like to see a Christmas 2010 release, but expecting an early 2011 release!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #217
ferran275

Quote:
OMG....about one week after the Announcement????

That would be MADNESS!

I don't know what I should think about it. I would like to see a Christmas 2010 release, but expecting an early 2011 release!
After the halo reach remark by Scott and knowing how Scott is (based on his history) I think he'll push for an earlier release so they can better compete with Microsoft, that's pure speculation though
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #218
Kristian Joensen

"and knowing how Scott is (based on his history)"

Care to elaborate?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #219
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
"and knowing how Scott is (based on his history)"

Care to elaborate?
LinkedIn

Knowing his history in gaming, knowing that he created a company called Radar. He is still very involved in the gaming industry, and wants to continue marketing and keep things rolling. DNF coming out needs to have a huge impact or else 3D Realms might fall, I remember one of the guys saying that the minute DNF is released they'll begin working on the sequel. So, a very forward thinking guy.

Basically, he is one of the founding fathers of episodic content, and really gaming in general, he still has a trick or two up his sleeve
Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #220
JobivanHiob

well stealing Halo Reach's thunder would be a neat marketing technique. It would certainly be a HUGE suprise!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #221
Oveneise

Quote:
well stealing Halo Reach's thunder would be a neat marketing technique. It would certainly be a HUGE suprise!
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but if they did release it when Halo: Reach comes out, it may be overshadowed by Halo's success, since that is a very anticipated game, like Duke, and much more mainstream. I wonder what it would be like if Duke and Master Chief kicked some alien ass as a team?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #222
Stevey Boy

If they released it on sept 14th it would be overshadowed by Reach
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #223
Jeager1999

The Trailer is shown on a big screen, at the Expo I guess. And then commercials that are fitting enough to be played during the Superbowl.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #224
NUKEMDAVE

If they decide to put a song in the next trailer other than Grabbag, then I vote for this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SQ4GbL7Hc

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #225
Sharpie

That song has so much relevance to DNF that I would have to agree.

I'd love to see DNF revealed at PAX just like everyone else. All I need is a trailer with a firm/proper release date at the end.

If that happens we all can be happy and excited about Duke Nukem's future instead of being split between severe negativity and over-the-top optimism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFct6lg0Vmo <<<< Watch for a laugh
Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #226
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEMDAVE View Post
If they decide to put a song in the next trailer other than Grabbag, then I vote for this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SQ4GbL7Hc

that song really is relevant to DNF!

Could be used in some form yes!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #227
RipNLa
In regards to it bein revealed at PAX, I'll say,

Gearbox announces their new games other than DNF. Good panel overall. 5 mins left, wrap up, no word of DNF, everyones disappointed.

Wrap up and tell everyone that they'll see them next year at PAX.
People stand up to leave, then
lights out, GRABBAG, "hehehe, what are you waiting for? Christmas?" screen just shows nuke symbol and STAY TUNED

Back in the darkness we wait.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #228
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNLa View Post
In regards to it bein revealed at PAX, I'll say,

Gearbox announces their new games other than DNF. Good panel overall. 5 mins left, wrap up, no word of DNF, everyones disappointed.

Wrap up and tell everyone that they'll see them next year at PAX.
People stand up to leave, then
lights out, GRABBAG, "hehehe, what are you waiting for? Christmas?" screen just shows nuke symbol and STAY TUNED

Back in the darkness we wait.
That would be awesome.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #229
KO Gilligan

Spoiler:
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #230
Duke's New Chainsaw

Everyone is out on the showroom floor, just then the Take2 booth EXPLODES and everyone is like "WOAH!". Then DNF walks out of the flames and is like "After over a decade of R&R, I am ready for more action!" and then people are like "WOOOAAH!!!". Then DNF plays himself and then at the end he's like "HO HO HO Merry Christmas.... 2010 ".

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #231
JobivanHiob

THIS
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpo...postcount=1658
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #232
Oveneise

Quote:
Flying pigs would be awesome.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #233
marioman360

I'd love to see a video of a pig flying across the screen and dropping the Duke Nukem Forever logo, then the music would start up and some text would appear at the bottom saying "always bet on duke" or something followed by a fade to black with the gearbox logo appearing.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #234
Valdsator

Trailer:

Then gameplay, and release date.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #235
rockmanekuzu8

Arrow Re: how would you like DNF being revealed?
Quote:

Indeed, but that release date is wrong......
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #236
Yatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanekuzu8 View Post
Indeed, but that release date is wrong......
You're back!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #237
Taloth

As grabbag flows out of the speakers, as a big logo of Duke appears... It blows away to us in a 3D feeling and duke then runs forward on the screen, "It's done... Take that you dirty rat!", and we'll see so much crying and cheering that they say: "It's just a joke". complete silence, then they say "That was the joke!"
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #238
Jeager1999

You hear the opening rip (Duh Duh Duh...Duh Duh Da) then you hear the sounds of a Pistol be loaded and cocked. (Duh Duh Duh....Duh Duh Da) Then you hear a zippo flick open, lit and the sounds of someone Puffing. (Duh Duh Duh...Duh Duh Daaaa) Then you hear a babe. "Aww, Come Back to Bed." Followed by more then one babe giggling. Then you hear Duke. "I think I had Enough R&R to last a Decade Girls, Heh Heh." Then the screen lights up the camera pans from Duke waist to his face while he holsters his gun and blows smoke from his cigar then grins. Fade to black, DNF Logo then fade to black. Next Scene a Pig Cop is about to be blow to hell by a new energy weapon in the new game, screen goes black just as the Pig Cop screams by the weapon fire. Then duke says. "I'm Baaaaack."
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #239
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeager1999 View Post
You hear the opening rip (Duh Duh Duh...Duh Duh Da) then you hear the sounds of a Pistol be loaded and cocked. (Duh Duh Duh....Duh Duh Da) Then you hear a zippo flick open, lit and the sounds of someone Puffing. (Duh Duh Duh...Duh Duh Daaaa) Then you hear a babe. "Aww, Come Back to Bed." Followed by more then one babe giggling. Then you hear Duke. "I think I had Enough R&R to last a Decade Girls, Heh Heh." Then the screen lights up the camera pans from Duke waist to his face while he holsters his gun and blows smoke from his cigar then grins. Fade to black, DNF Logo then fade to black. Next Scene a Pig Cop is about to be blow to hell by a new energy weapon in the new game, screen goes black just as the Pig Cop screams by the weapon fire. Then duke says. "I'm Baaaaack."
you guys sure do love your fade to blacks
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #240
Oveneise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
you guys sure do love your fade to blacks
Fading to blacks are the new thing