Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #41
Devan

Re: My voxel model pack
Nooooo!!!! One more VMP update BEFORE HRP update . 3D explossion is done! And I think the next VMP update will be NOT after next HRP update anymore. It will contain 3D fire and 3D fountain which appears after breaking hydrant.

Why does nobody write in this thread? Isn't VMP good thing for you anymore or what?
Last edited by Devan; 01-30-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #42
NightFright

Well because of my ignorance I still don't know what your Voxel Pack gains me when there are already md3 models in place. Please convince me!

Not that you think I considered your pack useless, it´s great stuff. But I need to know whether it improves anything compared to HRP contents!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #43
Boinky

I'd have to say thats really cool Devan.. It does give it that classic duke feeling with a more "3D" environment! Great Job!

I got a fever. And the only prescription, is more cowbell.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #44
Devan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFright View Post
Well because of my ignorance I still don't know what your Voxel Pack gains me when there are already md3 models in place. Please convince me!
Did you see my post why have I started this pack? And it can be used by people who like 8-bit classic more than 16-bit or 32-bit polymost.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #45
NightFright

Right. Will give it a try then, see what it looks like.

*EDIT*
Errr... you might consider just releasing FULL versions of your pack, i.e. with all recent updates included. It's a little bit confusing the way you are currently presenting it on your site. Otherwise, just include all updates in one file. Humble tip of mine.
Last edited by NightFright; 02-01-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #46
Devan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFright View Post
Errr... you might consider just releasing FULL versions of your pack, i.e. with all recent updates included. It's a little bit confusing the way you are currently presenting it on your site. Otherwise, just include all updates in one file. Humble tip of mine.
Yes, I'll do this now with 15a. The last full version was 12b

Done
Last edited by Devan; 02-01-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #47
Hanzo

so how do I actually get this to work? what do I need to do? (I'm so new to modding the Duke engine, heh)
Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #48
Devan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
so how do I actually get this to work? what do I need to do? (I'm so new to modding the Duke engine, heh)
just extract pack to your Duke3d folder

I can't test fire models because EDuke32 starts eating memory and then crashes... Voxel models dependence of cache size is very bad thing. They need to be loaded as hi-res textures and models... And voxels converting to models... Why is this thing coded? This looks like stupid. I need to wait for poly2vox to convert polygonal models to voxel models and then we all need to wait for eduke32 to convert coxel models to polygonal models even if we don't use polymost. I think voxel models in OpenGL aren't important. They have worse quality than polygonal models quality. They lag "a little bit" more than normal polygonal models. And they aren't affected by voxel models scale parameter. Their scale is always 1 in OpenGL. So, voxels needn't to be displayed in OpenGL and they needn't to be limited by cache size. Does somebody agree with me?
Last edited by Devan; 02-03-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #49
misfitx
i think this idea should be worked with. i would love to see this project get to a point where all 3d models from the hrp could be imported into this.

we should continue working on finding a way to get this to run smoothly !

also: one of my concerns is the contrast between the old classic textures and the hi-res textures used on the voxel models.. maybe this would run smoother if you used the textures from a hrp lite version (i would use the next release so you have all the new models and textures)

and i'd still like to see a mac port i'm without duke currently
Last edited by misfitx; 02-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #50
Hanzo

I am highly anticipating a voxel pack like this - I think the blend is just perfect between the 3D and the good ol' "Buildy" look. I love the HRP but it's all so bright, smooth and clean (which is of course, the point of it) where I almost prefer the old, rugged look but with some updated stuff.

I wish you good luck, good sir Devan.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #51
Devan

Quote:
Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #52
C. M. Dratz

Quote:
I am highly anticipating a voxel pack like this - I think the blend is just perfect between the 3D and the good ol' "Buildy" look. I love the HRP but it's all so bright, smooth and clean (which is of course, the point of it) where I almost prefer the old, rugged look but with some updated stuff.

You may want to try setting the filtering mode to "nearest" in the EDuke32video options menu.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #53
Devan

So, why does not agree with me about those problems? Looks like nobody likes this pack anymore...
Nobody agrees??? This means I can stop making this pack?
Last edited by Devan; 02-09-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #54
Ravey
Not enough games have used voxels! Very awesome.

.. Stop making the pack? I'd have to punch you over the internet if you do, voxel is very very pretty.
But on the other hand I can see that it is a lot of work.

Thanks for your efforts.
Last edited by Ravey; 02-10-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #55
Hellbound

I wish to see my Battlelord as voxels
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #56
Devan

I'll convert battlelort to voxels when next HRP update is released.
Maybe I'll make fire and fountain pack today! I'll make textures with MSpaint and use particles in truespace. Unlimited brush size trick in MSpaint will help to make textures. I found this trick in gamemaker forums.

I have finished fountain model! It was so easy with particles. I'll release new update when fire model is done.

So, what do you think about long loading time and limit by cache size?????????????????
Last edited by Devan; 02-11-2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Looks like nobody likes VMP...
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #57
Devan

Nobody about limit by cache size and voxels converting to polygonal models???? Voxels really need to be not limited by cache size. How about converting to polygonal models? We have md2 and md3 for that!!!!!!! Why does nobody write about that???????
Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #58
Plagman

Someone named 'phreak' told me he was working on saving the polygonal voxels to the disk cache but it's been a long time now. Any progress ?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #59
Dopefish7590

just a question... but will theese voxels run in 8 bit-classic mode?

edit: or is that the whole point
Old 02-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #60
Devan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
just a question... but will theese voxels run in 8 bit-classic mode?

edit: or is that the whole point
Yeah, voxel models are models made for software classic renderer. In VMP website screenshots have been captured in 8-bit classic renderer. They are also displayed in OpenGL, but in this mode, they look really bad. My computer is 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, video card is 64MB integrated and for example, trooper voxel model lags a little in OpenGL. I think voxel models could be removed from OpenGL. Even "scale" in def files doesn't affect them in OpenGL. And as I said many times, load time is too big...

Fire model done... Now I just need to change offset. It would be easier without long load time.
Last edited by Devan; 02-13-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #61
NightFright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan View Post
I'll convert battlelort to voxels when next HRP update is released.
You mean when next *HRP* is released!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #62
Devan

VMP 1.5b DONE!!! I put fire and fountain from hydrant models together in this pack. Hmm... Looks like this is the last pack before the next HRP (as NightFright said, not update ). I think now I say true. There were many VMP updates after saying "this is the latest VMP before next HRP"

A little thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitx View Post
one of my concerns is the contrast between the old classic textures and the hi-res textures used on the voxel models.. maybe this would run smoother if you used the textures from a hrp lite version
Voxel models don't use textures. Each voxel has it's own color.
Last edited by Devan; 02-13-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #63
Dopefish7590

kewl... because my pc absolutaly HATES polymost

Edit: your website is down
Old 02-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #64
Devan

Quote:
your website is down
oh... I can't believe... Can I do something now? I need something...I don't know what I need...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #65
Dopefish7590

could always try and rehost at geocites... its a bit better for websit biulding... or just load it all up on sendspace and use that as a link for us
Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #66
Devan

Quote:
could always try and rehost at geocites... its a bit better for websit biulding... or just load it all up on sendspace and use that as a link for us
OK, I'm doing that now. Just a little bit of time and VMP will be at geocities.com .

free space is too small Is there any better site?
Last edited by Devan; 02-15-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #67
Dopefish7590

i dunno :/

Anyone???
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #68
Devan

My VMP website is working again????? I just tried this link one more time and it works!!! I expected this a little bit.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #69
Dopefish7590

ok
kewl
Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #70
misfitx
i'd like to see some screenshots of some of the newly converted material to VMP..

i'm also still waiting for a intel-native mac port..

i don't know why i come here so often.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #71
Dopefish7590

:\ my pc freezes while starting up eduke32 after i installed the voxel model pack
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #72
Devan

Quote:
:\ my pc freezes while starting up eduke32 after i installed the voxel model pack
I have said 100 times what does this mean. This is something with voxels converting to polygonal models. EDuke32 does that at startup! F***ing thing... And other f***ing thing is with cache size. If you wait a longer time, a message will appear: "error:cache size all locked up!" and EDuke32 will crash. The second problem is because of cache limit. All voxel models size and something other what is limited by cache can't be biggier than cache size . Voxel models shouldn't be limited by cache size! They should have "rights" equal to polygonal models and hi-res textures "rights".
Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #73
TerminX

Fix it yourself and submit a patch.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #74
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan View Post
I have said 100 times what does this mean. This is something with voxels converting to polygonal models. EDuke32 does that at startup! F***ing thing... And other f***ing thing is with cache size. If you wait a longer time, a message will appear: "error:cache size all locked up!" and EDuke32 will crash. The second problem is because of cache limit. All voxel models size and something other what is limited by cache can't be biggier than cache size .
the point is that i was using an older smaller release
Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #75
Devan

Quote:
the point is that i was using an older smaller release
There isn't any difference expect that usual cache size is big enough for small packs. So, small pack won't crash. It'll load for a long time but it will work.

TerminX, I'm not coder, I'm only 14 years old, so I know nothing about programming.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #76
Awesoken

Quote:
I'm only 14 years old, so I know nothing about programming.
That logic is pathetic. I had 6 years under my belt by age 14. A more common excuse I hear is "it's too late to start learning". Is that what you'll be saying when you turn 15? If you enjoy making games, I would advise you to avoid the mistake of everlasting procrastination. You're not going to be modifying JonoF's port for a few years, but at least you'll be going in the right direction. : )
Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 AM   #77
Devan

Well... However I know "something about programming". I sometimes do something with gamemaker, but it will not help very much for programming . Maybe I could start learning programming but I started learning 3ds max yesterday.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #78
zchri9

whats the difference using voxels instead of models
?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #79
Devan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchri9 View Post
whats the difference using voxels instead of models
?
voxels are models for 8-bit classic renderer.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #80
zchri9

ok thanks