Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #41
pjohnsonjr

Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
what I meant was if 3drealms ports Duke3d (for example) to xbla they would get 80% of the money, 20% goes to ms

if they let the ms-team port duke3d to xbla, 3drealms would still get 60% of the money and ms gets 40%

that looks like a good deal for me, let someone else do the work and get most of the money for yourself
Percentages ALWAYS look good without figures. When that 80% only represents pocket change it isn't as appealing. You're trying to promote a fighting cause. You just refuse to accept it.

Like Joe said, don't always believe what you read.

and PS: Things aren't always that clear cut, there's way more involved than that. WAY More involved.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #42
StixnStonz

if all was right, having 16 player deathmatches on XBLA in duke 3D would be a dream come true! talk about nostalgia! duke was definitely my favorite FPS due to the level design, guns, and gameplay, playing it whenever i want with people around the world would be
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #43
8IronBob

I wouldn't mind playing Terminal Velocity or Shadow Warrior on Xbox Live Arcade myself. After all, the source code for Shadow Warrior, Duke 3D and ROTT are out and about, so at least games like those could easily be ported to Xbox Live Arcade without too much difficulty.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #44
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Someone ported Duke3D & ROTT to Xbox 1 already. Requires a mod chip to play, but it was done.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #45
8IronBob

Sweet. Can't wait to see if Shadow Warrior would eventually see a port to the 360 Arcade...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #46
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Sweet. Can't wait to see if Shadow Warrior would eventually see a port to the 360 Arcade...
Don't hold your breath. None of the others were either - keep in mind they were user hacks for Xbox 1. For 360 Arcade? Read the rest of this thread please.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #47
Beem

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/...EkGfFCqtbZ.php

Shadow Warrior has been ported to xbox1, as well as Duke3D based on JonoF's Port
Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 AM   #48
Qbix
DOSBox Advisor

Even DOSBox was ported to the xbox 1 (unofficially, not by us)
The compatibility was quite comparable to the regular version.
Games like Crystal caves and probably the keens/duke nukems would run on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:20 AM   #49
rob_merritt

I'd love to see something like this happen. Given the problems listed above, I imagine we would more likely see a small developer getting a commission/license to make a new XBLA games based on classic and retro games than a port. Which would be ok as well. Not that is going to happen either but its just a possiblity I see.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #50
qwerty

Smile Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
Microsoft Searching for Next Arcade Idol
Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 AM   #51
reaperke
I really don't see what the problem is porting your old games to arcade if some kid can port duke3d or rott to the xbox1 from his bedroom (unofficially without a XBOX/360 devkit nor support from MS) just pay that kid some small fee to port it to arcade if you guys are incapable of taking on such project due to resource restrains.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #52
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

If you think it's as simple as a kid in his bedroom can do the work, then you don't understand what goes into these official things at all.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #53
qwerty

Red face Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
so whats the status of duke3d for XBLA

doom showed how it has to be done
Last edited by qwerty; 12-26-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #54
SpinX

i bet microsoft will be twice or a million times more helpful with bringing old duke games to x-box live arcade when they see the succes of duke nukem forever... they are so hypocrite their at MS

and actually when they come crawling, you should step on them and say, you,ve had your chance

merry x-mas

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #55
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
so whats the status of duke3d for XBLA
There isn't any status. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:41 AM   #56
Another Duke Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
There isn't any status. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.
Whatever the complications are, it is worth changing that for good. The return on XBLA will be for sure by far better and secured than direct web sales only. Your games are worth going for that. For sure. Hope, you`ll think it over.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #57
Retodon8

ADF, do you really think you have better insight about whether or not it would be worth it than someone at 3DR?
Like Joe said, do some research about how this whole XBLA porting thing works, but remember that as a non-developer you still won't get to hear a lot of the important details.
Microsoft is being very careful, very precise about the specifications of their whole platform, and for good reason.
(I don't agree with all their decisions (that I as a simple gamer know of) though.)

SpinX, first of all the success of DNF doesn't necessarily mean anything for the success of a future DN3D on XBLA.
Even if it did, how does that make MS hypocritical?
Would you rather invest in something you know will make money than something you're not sure about?
I'm sure you would!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #58
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Duke Fan View Post
Whatever the complications are, it is worth changing that for good. The return on XBLA will be for sure by far better and secured than direct web sales only. Your games are worth going for that. For sure. Hope, you`ll think it over.
You think I don't know that? I'm not the guy who makes the decisions - I'm just the web guy. If you go back and look at the entire conversation you'll see that we know this already. The decision makers here know this already.

Telling us this (again) won't tell us anything we don't already know. Honestly.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #59
Talos

Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade?
I just wanted to say that I totally support the idea for a Duke on XBLA.
Duke 3D on Arcade would be the coolest thing ever!!
Please 3DR - make it happen
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 AM   #60
KurgaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
You think it would be just a month? You don't know anything about how they're made and approved by Microsoft then, eh? Hiring people would cut into the "free money" you're talking about. It's not like it would make a zillion dollars anyway, you'd have to keep costs to a minimum on something like that, and hiring new people to do it likely wouldn't be the way to go.

That's assuming they'd even WANT them. They only want to look at completeled or near completed games, as far as I can tell. These would be rewrites, so it would be a "new product". TC, the guy who did the Daily Dementia show submitted one of his games (Gold Miner Vegas) to Microsoft for Xbox Live. They rejected it.

Why does this bug me? The notion people have that these things are no brainers, require no work, cost nothing to make, etc.. It's all wrong.
Okay, let's say you hire one new guy too work with porting Duke Nukem 3D to Xbla and it takes 1 year or 2 at the most. I think that the game still would turn out a profit for 3DRealms and not a small one either.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #61
Defrostmode
as much as I NEED (*ahem* well... ok.. want.) Duke Nukem 3d (and others) on Xbox Live Arcade I can understand where he's coming from... and also think that the ones doing the most begging (ignore my thread on this subject *blush*) should program/build the game(s) to work on Arcade (with the hrps and the ability to turn them off and on ). Then pay royalties to 3Drealms for using there games. Then submit them to Microsoft. If they get 'picked' for arcade see just how much money you make for your time (if any of you are programmers that can do that).
It's easy to say how easy something will be if you haven't done it yourself and/or you don't know what all goes into doing it.

... that being said... I wouldn't hate it if it did happen!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #62
Retodon8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurgaN View Post
Okay, let's say you hire one new guy too work with porting Duke Nukem 3D to Xbla and it takes 1 year or 2 at the most. I think that the game still would turn out a profit for 3DRealms and not a small one either.
It doesn't matter what you think, only the math matters.
I admit I don't know you, so perhaps you do, but I doubt you know the relevant numbers to figure out how big a profit or loss 3D Realms could make.

I suppose you could look for openings for similar positions (porting to XBLA is pretty new though, so I don't know how many you'd find) at companies similar to 3DR and find out what a programmer like that would cost if you'd hire him/her.

I have no idea how long porting something like DN3D would take, but "1 or 2 years at the most" seems like a guess, unless you're familiar with the source code, as well as the XBLA platform.
You could ask someone familiar with either, preferably both to hazard a guess, but as we all know estimated release dates tend to move away a lot, and chances are the programmer to port the thing wouldn't be familiar with the code from the start.

Finally (actually I'm sure it's more complicated than this) you'd need to know how much games 3DR would sell, and how much they'd get from Microsoft.
I don't know if companies that make ports are even allowed by MS to give any numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the companies themselves don't want to discuss them.

Like I said before, I would love to see DN3D on XBLA, I'd buy it rightaway, but so I'd love to see a lot of things that aren't always possible.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #63
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
While I'm not discounting the fact that it would make money, I don't think it would be the avalanche of money that YOU think it would be.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #64
qwerty

Ooo Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade?
you cant be serious, 1 or 2 years to port a game ?? it would take 6 months at most, I cant believe it would take any longer

on the other hand they already need more than 10 years for another game now ...

note: I dont want duke3d on xbla after DNF

release it in advance of DNF or forget it
Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #65
Hudson

Well i'm sure 3DR and Microsoft will take your post into great consideration qwerty. What would they do without you.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 01-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #66
moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Well i'm sure 3DR and Microsoft will take your post into great consideration qwerty. What would they do without you.
so true I dont think they could think of anything unless we the fans on the forms were here to show the game makers (aka 3drelms) how to market there games they would be lost without the random insight we provide we know way more about apogee then they do hey we should be running it
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #67
8IronBob

Well, don't forget how long it took between the time that the PC demo of Prey and the XBL demo of Prey took, I know that this is different, but this is another way of saying how 3DR and MS communications can get lost after a while. Even tho Human Head was the developer, 3DR DID have involvement in the Prey X360 communications along with Venom. Just better hope that 3DR can get Take Two to take care of the older games for XBLA...
Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #68
qwerty

Thumbs up Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade?
george wants to bring duke3d to XBLA

Quote:
Truth be told, we've talked to Microsoft about it and have some people that would port it. Just waiting on the good word from Microsoft to continue.
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=...nchor_14915754
Old 08-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #69
Kalki

^ That can be discussed here- http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22841
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #70
beachsurfside

so basically ...we need to not bug 3d realms...
we need to bug microsoft about this...

BURN THEM DOWN!!!
i think they once said xbox live wasnt a place do dump ps1 games and stuff..
well....it wouldd be ok with a little dumping to coincide with the original games.
also..
i would like to be able to ...(tear*) ..one day share my XNA goodness with everybody over xbox live ...
Last edited by beachsurfside; 08-13-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #71
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

As we've said before folks, we've inquired. It's not up to us. It's up to Microsoft. The link posted to Shack by George is nothing new, we've been saying that for awhile now.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #72
qwerty

he posted about duke 3d for xbla on shacknews again

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard
Would you be more interested in single player or multi player for this game?

What kind up updates would you like to see to the game? (Bearing in mind that we won't take it from sprites to full 3d)

Fun ideas for achievements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard
It'd certainly be both modes. I was just curious where people's interest was.

why is he talking to them instead of the true duke fans that are reading/posting in this forum for 10 years already patiently waiting for DNF ?

is he even reading here ??

I want online coop (I dont remember if duke 3d had one)
there should be an option to filter the textures
the framerate should be super smooth (60), not like doom that was limited to 30fps
it should run in widescreen mode
Old 08-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #73
Micki!

If he posted here, we'd eat him alive with our (annoyingly) many questions, because the place is over filled with Duke fans...

And when he finally says something, someone (usually quite alot) here will read into what he's saying, whereafter he has to clarify that his earlier posts shouldn't be misread, which then again, gets read into as well...

Perhaps i'm overeacting with my statement here

Or perhaps i nailed it just right..?

My point is, he's not the great "moviestar"-ish person over at Shack, as he would be here to the fans...
Last edited by Micki!; 08-15-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #74
alexgk

I would like to try all 3DR games I haven't had the chance to try, but I doubt I'd pay USD$10 for only one obscure DOS game, as a package containing them all, of course!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #75
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

As we've said numerous times before...

The possibility of a compliation is very low. The reason is the rights of all the old games. Things were done differently then. You'd have to pay off all the people who own the rights to those, and you wouldn't be able to make any money off the project.