Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
qwerty

Goofy Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade?
Have you guys at 3DRealms thought about bringing some of your classic games to xbla ??

It would be awesome to play some of the old games again

Are there any plans to port them over ?

They would sell great and you could make a lot of extra cash
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Phayzon

Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
I doubt theres any plans for this. But I too thought this'd be awesome. Theres just something about playing Duke Nukem II on an Xbox360 (Using 16 of its *very large number* colors)
Old 04-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
jimbob

i gues they cant, even if they would, due to legal issues. but it would be pretty cool if they could though playing whacky wheels on the X-Box
Old 04-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Phayzon

Why couldnt 3DR let thier games be on XBL Arcade? I mean, after all, Apogee started shareware, they can continue on a 360 (Well yeah, aside from a Prey demo).
Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Dr. Kill

That'd be cool.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
ShadeEX

yeah it be cool but they would have to ask for permission from the other developers for the games like Blake Stone or Commander Keen
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

It would depend on the original authors. In most cases from the old days, the origianl game's author would be the one to decide this kind of thing, not us.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-25-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
qwerty

Eek Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
is tom hall the "owner" of all the commander keen games ??

can you ask him or give me his email ??
Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
helious

3Drealms REALLY dont know how much money they can make, by releasing games on Xbla.. over 4 million people bought most of the games currently available, and i play Xbla every single day..
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by helious
3Drealms REALLY dont know how much money they can make, by releasing games on Xbla.. over 4 million people bought most of the games currently available, and i play Xbla every single day..
We know about this stuff. It's not a matter of throw the game out there and make free money. These things aren't as easy as that. Game would have to be rewritten from the ground up, in most cases we don't have the source original to work from.

Plus it would have to be upgraded to current tech, it's not a no brainer - there's more work in these things than you think there is. Plus there's the rights issues.

And Keen is owned by id.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Phayzon

No DN2 360
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
helious

What about Duke Nukem 2? And Duke 3D?
Duke 3D would be amazing to release on Xbox Live! Arcade.,, and incorporate a small multiplayer feature...

Most games on Marketplace/Arcade are not just arcade games.. We could use DN3D Live!.. And that would be an entire new reason to buy the game once more..
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
qwerty

Duke Nukem Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by helious
Most games on Marketplace/Arcade are not just arcade games.. We could use DN3D Live!.. And that would be an entire new reason to buy the game once more..
and it would make more people anticipate DNF
Old 04-26-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
jimbob

midways arcade treasures springs to mind the Apogee Game classics has a nice sound to it i`d love to buy it if it ever were to be made.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
and it would make more people anticipate DNF
You guys want us to stop what we're doing, and do that? That makes sense.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Phayzon

indeed
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #17
qwerty

Red face Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
You guys want us to stop what we're doing, and do that? That makes sense.

we waited 10 years, another month of wait wouldnt kill us

or just hire some new guys to do that
Old 04-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #18
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

You think it would be just a month? You don't know anything about how they're made and approved by Microsoft then, eh? Hiring people would cut into the "free money" you're talking about. It's not like it would make a zillion dollars anyway, you'd have to keep costs to a minimum on something like that, and hiring new people to do it likely wouldn't be the way to go.

That's assuming they'd even WANT them. They only want to look at completeled or near completed games, as far as I can tell. These would be rewrites, so it would be a "new product". TC, the guy who did the Daily Dementia show submitted one of his games (Gold Miner Vegas) to Microsoft for Xbox Live. They rejected it.

Why does this bug me? The notion people have that these things are no brainers, require no work, cost nothing to make, etc.. It's all wrong.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
Little Conqueror

Exactly. I've submitted games before. Had some turned down, have some prospects. But it's not "free money" no matter how large or small a studio you're running.

Plus, there's really no need to put these things out on X-Box Live.

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #20

Pfft...if people bought the games on xbox live it only proves how big of hypocrites they are. It would prove they only buy whatever Microsoft puts on their screens.....as steam is. If people don't buy the games off 3DR's site, why would they off of 360?

Then again, if people want to throw their money at xbox go right ahead....more money for 3DR (however little marketplace gives developers)
Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #21
ShadeEX

yeah i know its very hard to code stuff.. and i even only code websites...

well ive tried coding some games but its not easy, so i agree with Joe..
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 04-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #22
MagNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon
I doubt theres any plans for this. But I too thought this'd be awesome. Theres just something about playing Duke Nukem II on an Xbox360 (Using 16 of its *very large number* colors)
Duke2 has 256 colors actually!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
Phayzon

I tried, and failed, to prove that a while back.there was a big arguement that 32-color Turrican was better than 16-color Duke2... I failed sorry Duke
Old 05-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #24
necrophilissimo

Lightbulb All together now; Apogee to Xbox Live Arcade!
This is for 3DR:

The topic title says it all; We need quality arcade-ish PC classics to Xbox Live Arcade - and that's what 3DR/Apogee catalogue is filled with. Enough with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, we want Duke Nukem I and II, BioMenace, Raptor... and definedly Duke Nukem 3D.

As a hobbyist game programmer I can say it can't be that time consuming to convert those evergreens for Xbox environment. I know 3DR is busy with DNF, so how about some third-party developer? No matter what's the cost; I'm ready to pay 400 to 800 Microsoft Points anytime for this kind of quality gaming (Make it ten times the Points if you convert Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior)!

Just think of it; Playing games modern Windows platforms can no longer run. On big screen. Possibly in HD. One can dream, right?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #25
necrophilissimo

Current XLA features only a couple of great titles (Geometry Wars, Hexic and coin-op conversions), the rest doesn't come even near Apogee/3DR quality. The consept of XLA is near darn perfect, but in lack of proper content (read: good games like the entire Apogee catalogue) it'll fade away. Coming-soon Mortal Kombat, Contra and Street Fighter simply aren't enough.

But how about Duke Nukem 3D or Shadow Warrior, then? The official Xbox ports of DOOM and DOOM II proved those games still rocked despite being technologically obsolete - in fact Ispent nearly 10 times as long playing original DOOM-games than the actual product they came with.

I'm willing to bet (or would, if I had any money after pre-ordering Prey) Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior would become "Killer Apps" of XLA. I don't actually even care what they cost; I haven't been able to play them for long time (sold my PC and bought a laptop, which isn't ideal for gaming) and I'd definedly pay even 5000+ Microsoft Points for the joy of blasting through 'em once again!

PS: Sorry about my mutant eyesight that missed this thread and tried to start a new one. My mistake, I apologize.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #26
ZuljinRaynor

Meh, the pixelation.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #27
Retodon8

Quote:
is tom hall the "owner" of all the commander keen games ??
I wish he was!
That's probably the only scenario in which we'd get more good Keen games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagNet
Duke2 has 256 colors actually!
Count again, you won't get higher than 16... maybe lower though.
Don't cheat and add colours from the actual game and for instance the title screen though, because they use different palettes of 16 colours (out of 256 possible values).

I remember reading MS can put some people on your game if you want, but of course that'll cost you.
I recall you'll basically get a lower percentage of every copy of the game sold.
Not sure about actually having to pay them beforehand; maybe that's not necessary because MS carefully selects which games they want on their platform, so they know for a fact they are sellers.
Anyway, there's probably info on their site somewhere.

I wish it'd happen, but due to reasons previously stated I don't think we'll get to see any classic Apogee (or id probably) games appear on the Xbox 360.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #28
Phayzon

Besides Geometry Wars I kinda think none of the games are worth paying for. I mean, I already have a few on either my PC, an old console, or cell phone... And most of the demo games werent even fun. I dont know for sure if id buy Doom/Duke/SW again on a system 10 feet away from my PC... Maybe if they give a discount for proving you have the old PC version by popping in the CD...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

No way. I've bought about 10 of them. I play the XBLA games a lot more than my regular 360 games.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:34 AM   #30
necrophilissimo

Quote:
I play the XBLA games a lot more than my regular 360 games.
So do I; Boy was I amazed that 60% of time I spent on my new high-price super console was with Hexic HD, a block puzzle game. Next up was "Quake 2" with 30% and then finally the "big" 360 titles. Don't know does it speak of the big games or talents of Pojitnov

I know I'm repeating things here, but I seriously doubt MS would turn something like Duke3D down at the arcade. It never hurts to ask, right? Besides if MS is indeed continuing their "Live Anywhere" style marketing, wouldn't featuring PC classics among coin-op conversions be quite logical step for XLA?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #31
Phayzon

Well, a PC-classic's sequal is on there (Bejeweled 2)...

PS
Wow, Bejeweled has 4 E's!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #32
Gibaholic
I'm up for it, I don't see why not.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:27 PM   #33
shiranui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
No way. I've bought about 10 of them. I play the XBLA games a lot more than my regular 360 games.
And isn't that a sad indictment of the current library of 360 titles.
The upcoming games shown at E3 can't come soon enough.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #34
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

It's not noting to do with the library. It's got to do with the time I have available to play games. I'd love to get lost in something like Oblivion. I just don't have the time for games like that.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #35
shiranui

fair enough, I have very little time to play games these days too.

I'm just waiting for Dead Rising to come out - just to give me a reason to turn my 360 back on again....
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #36
Boinky

Duke3d on the 360 would actually intice me to buy one

I got a fever. And the only prescription, is more cowbell.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #37
qwerty

Red face Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
Ive read an interview with some XBLA developer (I cant find it anymore )

what he said was:

developers can port their games to xbla and will get 80% of the money that comes from sales

AND

microsoft has a team of developers that converts games to xbla and If I remember correctly even when MS ported the game the original developer would still get 60% of the money

the excuse of having "no time to port any games" doesnt work anymore

1. ask MS if they are interested
2. let them do the work
3. earn the money
4. let us play our favourite games on xbla
5. everyone happy
Old 05-27-2006, 03:26 AM   #38
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Ive read an interview with some XBLA developer (I cant find it anymore )

what he said was:

developers can port their games to xbla and will get 80% of the money that comes from sales

AND

microsoft has a team of developers that converts games to xbla and If I remember correctly even when MS ported the game the original developer would still get 60% of the money

the excuse of having "no time to port any games" doesnt work anymore

1. ask MS if they are interested
2. let them do the work
3. earn the money
4. let us play our favourite games on xbla
5. everyone happy
Prepare to be debunked.

Do you think these people just sit there and convert games over to Xbox Live Arcade for free? I think not. You're already in the hole.

So what 80% of sales? 20% goes somewhere else, and there's no guarentee that people will download enough copies to warrant it. So if these games are a niche market game and not many people want to play them, returns are minimal, not enough to warrant the time.

Then half the source from old Apogee titles are whereabouts unknown. They'll probably stay that, and alot of the source (like Joe's old story about some of them being in a closet of Allen Blum's). These aren't games that were built under the Windows OS, these were all DOS base, so the conversion time will take longer. Again you bring up figures of sales, leaving the original developer with 60% of the originally reported by you 80%. 40% down the pisser and you're not guarenteed that 60% is going to be substancial enough to warrant the time.

We're talking a few thousand bucks in return if lucky, and that's really a small figure compared to sitting here releasing a AAA game that makes millions.

I agree with Joe on this one, and you bringing it up is like flogging a dead horse. 3D Realms has bigger fish to fry, namely two whoppers in Prey and Duke Nukem Forever.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:52 AM   #39
qwerty

Ooo Re: Classic 3DR Games for XBox Live Arcade ??
what I meant was if 3drealms ports Duke3d (for example) to xbla they would get 80% of the money, 20% goes to ms

if they let the ms-team port duke3d to xbla, 3drealms would still get 60% of the money and ms gets 40%

that looks like a good deal for me, let someone else do the work and get most of the money for yourself
Old 05-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #40
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
what I meant was if 3drealms ports Duke3d (for example) to xbla they would get 80% of the money, 20% goes to ms
Don't believe everything you read.