Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
predcon

Question "Yahtzee" Croshaw's Age of Evil TC - Missing Audio
Right, so if you guys follow Zero Punctuation or have played the "X Days a Something" series, you know who Yahtzee is. Quite a few people don't know that he made an "Evil Dead" type TC for Duke 3D (Atomic Edition or at least patched to v1.5) called Age of Evil. It's not quite finished (Two out of three episodes are done, you can pick them up in the Games section of fullyramblomatic.com, in case you need it to figure out what my trouble is.) which may account for the errors I'm experiencing. Basically, while any default texture that hasn't been replaced will show up just fine, any sound that wasn't replaced seem to be missing. In fact, whenever I try to invoke such a sound, for example a pistol shot, I get an error message (though not a game halting message) at the top of the screen like this: "SOUND PISTOL.VOC[#3] NOT FOUND". When I uninstall the mod, however, all default sounds return and function normally.

I'm using vanilla Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition as sold and distributed by GoG.com, not eDuke32.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
The Commander

Re: "Yahtzee" Croshaw's Age of Evil TC - Missing Audio
You aint going to get any better answers here than you did on Duke4.net
Do I have to keep telling people that this forum is dead in terms of Duke Nukem 3D modding etc *sigh*

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
predcon

I can't post in Duke4.net because for some reason, even though I've set my browser security settings to their lowest, the cookies aren't accepted and I'm being logged out every two seconds.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
ryche

Perhaps the folder in which the sounds are being referenced is wrong. I don't know jack shit on Duke modding but that's my guess.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I'm not sure if I seem clear on what I meant in my post.

I believe what may be going on is that he referenced the sound very specifically in his mod like G:\duke3d\myshit\sounds\whateverwhatever.voc

so if you don't have it exactly where he put it then it'd error. That's only my guess. Maybe I should download it and figure it out for ya.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
predcon

no no, the sounds that ARE replaced play, like zombie moans and Yahtzee's dialogue, it's the default sounds that HAVE NOT been replaced that don't play. But when I uninstall the mod (By way of the "Evil_Uninstall.bat" exec), all default sounds return and play normally.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
ryche

I dunno. Maybe copy your duke3d.grp file into the same folder as the mod's and see if that works. Honestly I don't know though. Odd.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
predcon

Okay, here's what I did:
I created a folder within the main game folder and labeled it "Default". I then copied and pasted the Duke3d.grp file in the Default folder. Then I ran the "Evil_install.bat" and let it do it's thang, part of which was to rename "Duke3d.grp" to "Duke3d.grx". Why? I don't know, but I copied the Duke3d.grp file from within the Default folder and pasted it in the main folder, and ran the GoG-wrapped shortcut (basically a shortcut for DosBox that runs Duke3d, just in case you didn't know, but then if you're here you're probably knowledgeable about this sort of thing).

What I know have is some sort of Duke3D/Age of Evil hybrid. That is to say, it runs the animated "Radiation Hazard" logo and then the opening screen for Age of Evil, followed by the demo-reel that normally runs in Duke3D, but with the replaced enemy models. I went into play the first episode, and the menu sounds all work, and so does the opening "knuckle crack" and the pistol shots, etc. So far, so good.

I haven't gone through the whole of the first level yet, I have work in a few hours, but I'll get back to you folks on whether or not it loads the next level of the TC, or the second level of L.A. Meltdown.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
ryche

Quote:
rename "Duke3d.grp" to "Duke3d.grx".
So unless he put the original sounds in his own grp, that right there is why the original sounds don't play. The game doesn't see the .grp file to play'em.

Unless I'm wrong about that but that to me seems to be what's causing your problem.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
predcon

Right, and I fixed it by changing it back to "Duke3d.grp". At least I think I did. I haven't gotten around to finishing the first level yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
predcon

Okay, clearly this was not the thing to do. Or maybe it was, I can't tell. It would seem that all enemy creatures are doing double damage. Once for the original Duke3D enemy, and again for the Age of Evil enemy. I don't know bo-diddly about the Build engine, so it may very well be that such a thing is impossible, and that the Age of Evil characters do high damage by design. Which is something that needs to be fixed in it's own right. Also, I've just finished the first episode, and it sounds like a cutscene is playing, because I can hear dialogue, but I don't see any video. After I "press any key" a couple times, I get the "Epilogue" screen that basically sums up what happened in the cutscene (if I could see it) and sets up the story for the next episode.
Last edited by predcon; 07-14-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Additional Information