Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-1999, 01:05 PM   #1
Justin
Just in case anyone was wondering, here is the full story of my arrival to Dopefishness:

It basically started when I went over to a friend's house and saw this cool game he had called Commander Keen. He had Keens 1 and 4, but four looked cooler. I was swimming around in the Well of Wishes, when this weird fish thing appeared. I asked my friend what the heck that was. He said it was a Dopefish. It belched.

I didn't play Keen 4 for several months after that, as the disk was bad that he gave it to me on (I still played Keen 1). One day, I found it on AOL and downloaded it. It was still fun, but I didn't really think much about the Dopefish.

Then, one fateful day, I was on a computer at the library (one of those monochrome jobs) using the text-only Web browser on it that no one else seemed to know existed (I only got 5 hours/mo. of Web access at home, I had to get it in whenever I could). I was doing a search on Commander Keen, when, lo and behold, there was a page at the top of the list called "The Official Dopefish Homepage" (this was still when it was at apogee1.com). My first thought was "what the heck....?" I went over to it and read the page. Later, at home, I looked at it with AOL's browser and saved the page along with all the graphics for offline viewing (that's where the crudded up pic of Tom Hall's original sketch came from, AOL's browser gunked up graphics majorly). I was hooked.

The Dopefish Screen Saver v1.00, and later v1.10, was my screen saver for awhile, but I had to turn the sound off (nobody else in my family seems to like belching noises randomly emanating from the PC).

I later went on to put up Justin's Dopefish Page on my AOL account (http://members.aol.com/Trilomax/dopefish/). When my family moved over a year ago (I'm 13), we switched to a different ISP and I put my site up on XOOM, completely redesigned. The Dopefish page ( http://members.xoom.com/MrMikeyMan/keen/dopefish.htm ) is now part of Justin's Really Keen Page, my Commander Keen site.

I still have the HTML file around for my original Dopefish page, if anyone wants it.

If anyone else wants to put up their story in reply to this, be my guest. I'd be interested in hearing it.