Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
reble
re: a problem with Bio Menace cheat code
I have the registered version of Bio Menace and the last part of the cheat code J+I+M+spacebar as prescribed in the instructions bellow just won't work on this HP Presario C700 laptop os Win7 Home 32bit. The game it self works ok on the DosBox emulator. Why doesn't the last part of the code work on this laptop when the code worked om my old Gateway laptop?

Steve

Press C + O + D, and a prompt will appear asking you to enter in a code Type in 91827 and press enter. This activates the key combination required to enable the debugging keys. Enable the debugging keys by pressing J + I + M + Space.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
NY00123
Re: a problem with Bio Menace cheat code
There are two possible causes I can think of:

- I saw a hint that the freeware release may actually have a different revision of the EXEs, compared to an original registered release, with these debugging keys code being removed (or at least not compiled into the EXE).
- Also, certain keyboards may not be able to register certain combinations of keys. For instance, if you press on C+O+D, all at once, only one key or two may be reported as "pressed".
Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
reble
The C+O+D part works. Then I input the 91827 > enter. So far so good. I hit J+I+M+spacebar and nothing happens. I may have to change out this laptop anyways if the cooling pad with the fans in it, that is on order, doesn't make this laptop run cooler after it has been on for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY00123 View Post
There are two possible causes I can think of:

- I saw a hint that the freeware release may actually have a different revision of the EXEs, compared to an original registered release, with these debugging keys code being removed (or at least not compiled into the EXE).
- Also, certain keyboards may not be able to register certain combinations of keys. For instance, if you press on C+O+D, all at once, only one key or two may be reported as "pressed".
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reble View Post
The C+O+D part works. Then I input the 91827 > enter. So far so good. I hit J+I+M+spacebar and nothing happens. I may have to change out this laptop anyways if the cooling pad with the fans in it, that is on order, doesn't make this laptop run cooler after it has been on for a while.
Partial speculation...
Many notebook computer keyboards are not conventional in their coding. In the case of C+O+D, you have C and D outside the embedded numeric keypad and O is within the embedded area.
In the case of J+I+M+SpaceBar, you have three of the four keys within the embedded numeric keypad. Could be a 4 key issue, or more likely, the area of the keyboard the three keys are located.
Sometimes, because of the firmware of most notebook keyboards, registering multiple keys at once might be the issue unless they included a modifier key like ctrl, alt, Fn etc... the multiple key issue can sometimes be relative to the special mod keys like hardware function keys and sometimes with embedded keyboards.
I have seen this before in other words, in several forms... this is still just speculation in your particular case.
One way to check is plug in an external keyboard... I would almost bet the problem goes away... I have done this before and it worked, but that was before USB, and with USB it becomes a toss up based on drivers.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 09-25-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 AM   #5
reble
Talking Re: a problem with Bio Menace cheat code
I may have to go with a external USB keyboard if I keep this laptop because of were the sound in and out jacks are located. There right under were the palm of my left hand rests when I work the CTRL and ALT keys during game play. I had to put a small piece wood under the headphone plug so my hand doesn't push down on the jack. Who ever though of this design at HP as far as placement of the sound in and out jacks go must have been smoking some wacky weed. I hear what you say about the embedded key area. The codes worked on my old Gateway laptop (before the graphics card chip died in it) because the Gateway laptop didn't have a embedded number pad on the keyboard. I wish I had the room for a tower computer. That would solve a lot of other problems I have. My bedroom with my laptop, flat screen tv, dvd recorder/player, cable tv dvr box and my Amateur Radio Station looks like the radio room on a submarine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
Partial speculation...
Many notebook computer keyboards are not conventional in their coding. In the case of C+O+D, you have C and D outside the embedded numeric keypad and O is within the embedded area.
In the case of J+I+M+SpaceBar, you have three of the four keys within the embedded numeric keypad. Could be a 4 key issue, or more likely, the area of the keyboard the three keys are located.
Sometimes, because of the firmware of most notebook keyboards, registering multiple keys at once might be the issue unless they included a modifier key like ctrl, alt, Fn etc... the multiple key issue can sometimes be relative to the special mod keys like hardware function keys and sometimes with embedded keyboards.
I have seen this before in other words, in several forms... this is still just speculation in your particular case.
One way to check is plug in an external keyboard... I would almost bet the problem goes away... I have done this before and it worked, but that was before USB, and with USB it becomes a toss up based on drivers.

MrBlackCat
Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
reble
I got the new wireless keyboard and mouse that I baught online in the snail mail today. 2 problems solved. 1 with the Bio Menace cheat codes. This is a full (no inbeded number key pad) keyboard. I don't even hold down the keys J,I,M and count to 7 before pushing the spacebar key like I had to do with the GateWay laptop. Just push J,I,M and spacebar all at once and the debug sign pops up with no delay. #2. I don't have to rest the back of my left hand on the headphone jack while working the CTRL and ALT keys during game play anymore. :-D

Steve
Old 10-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
MrBlackCat

I am glad to hear it worked for you.
Thank you for the follow up.

MrBlackCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by reble View Post
I got the new wireless keyboard and mouse that I baught online in the snail mail today. 2 problems solved. 1 with the Bio Menace cheat codes. This is a full (no inbeded number key pad) keyboard. I don't even hold down the keys J,I,M and count to 7 before pushing the spacebar key like I had to do with the GateWay laptop. Just push J,I,M and spacebar all at once and the debug sign pops up with no delay. #2. I don't have to rest the back of my left hand on the headphone jack while working the CTRL and ALT keys during game play anymore. :-D

Steve

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)