Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #81
DeeperThought

Re: Duke Nukem: WMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Nightflame View Post
It's the same with a well timed TripBomb place, but I really don't want THAT going away.

Anyway, your release date is incredibly teasing me, I REALLY want DNWMD now, I just find it too fun.
Glad to hear it. Frankly, I haven't done much with it for a little while now, but I promise it will be ready on that date.

Beta testers: I recently uploaded another version of the main file (the one linked to in that first PM I sent you a while back). Now I've got someone telling me that it's broken and the Cycloid Emperor model is failing to load, and other problems. Would you mind checking to see if this is true?

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #82
Dr. Kill

Looks pretty cool!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #83
Odin

If I get bored I might put together a teaser trailer for WMD, if DeeperThought will allow it of course.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #84
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
If I get bored I might put together a teaser trailer for WMD, if DeeperThought will allow it of course.
It would be really nice to have a trailer, but I think it would be better to wait until all the graphics are finalized. It doesn't have to be a teaser trailer, it could be a trailer that comes out when it's finished.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #85
Blade Nightflame

I think you oughta take down the AMC link of WMD there, I just sneakly downloaded that. ;

The only thing I find wrong with that version is that ammo count is rather unfair.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #86
KillerBudgie

Devilish Re: Duke Nukem: WMD
Quote:
I think you oughta take down the AMC link of WMD there, I just sneakly downloaded that. ;

The only thing I find wrong with that version is that ammo count is rather unfair.
Ha! You're not the only one, matey boy!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #87
DeeperThought

Quote:

I've taken it down now.

You start with reduced damage, and the ammo pickups contain less ammo, which may seem unfair. But consider these factors: (i) You can upgrade to the vampire kick when the game starts, giving you a decent weapon when you're low on ammo, (ii) Most maps have way too much ammo anyway, (iii) The pistol is now much more useful (especially with the alt-firing mode), (iv) special ammo from the randomly dropped ammo coins largely makes up for the shortfalls.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #88
Blade Nightflame

I don't know about you but it doesn't FEEL like Duke to vampire kick everybody around. He's not exactly Liu Kang y'know. That's why I modified the DTUser.con (I think it is) to restore the original ammo values. So it's atleast fair again. :P

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #89
DeeperThought

Quote:
I don't know about you but it doesn't FEEL like Duke to vampire kick everybody around. He's not exactly Liu Kang y'know. That's why I modified the DTUser.con (I think it is) to restore the original ammo values. So it's atleast fair again. :P
I think you will find that once you have upgraded your damage past 100%, you will have an over-abundance of ammo.

What maps are you playing on where you are having ammo shortages early in the game? Whenever I've played, it seems like I've had plenty.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #90
Blade Nightflame

I kept noticing that problem more in E1L3, Death Row. Although I upgrade diffrent things than you possibly would. (Rarely do I upgrade the Ammo counter, but that's a pretty nice touch for deadlyness. ) Where I pretty much had to resort to a Duke Nuke to take out a NewBeast and some more opposition when I literally ran out of ammo, and didn't have Vampiric Kick at the time.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #91
DeeperThought

Quote:
I kept noticing that problem more in E1L3, Death Row. Although I upgrade diffrent things than you possibly would. (Rarely do I upgrade the Ammo counter, but that's a pretty nice touch for deadlyness. ) Where I pretty much had to resort to a Duke Nuke to take out a NewBeast and some more opposition when I literally ran out of ammo, and didn't have Vampiric Kick at the time.
Death row can be a difficult level in my mod. By the time you reach the third map of an episode, your score is high enough that some pretty nasty monsters start to spawn. Resetting the player's inventory right as the game starts to get difficult can make for some frustrating situations. However, you know this will happen and can plan ahead. Make sure you have saved up nuke coins from the previous level, since those don't get reset when the inventory does. Make sure you have the 'Roid Rage ability, and the vampire kick. Use 'Roid Rage to regenerate when low on health, and use the kick when you're out of ammo, until you get some good equipment. Also, as soon as you grab the pistol, don't forget to use Bomb darts. When you open the observation area, fire one or two darts into the crowd and go around the corner and wait for them to detonate. Finally, remember that even when inventory is reset, you have 25% Holoduke energy. Even a 25% Dukebot should be able to take out a few enemies for you.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #92
Blade Nightflame

A nice walkthrough, however, I'm not much of a Helper fan. It's Duke we're talking about, a one-man army who'd oblitirate three bosses at once if he wanted to. But I'll keep that in mind if I restart.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #93
Hellbound

Hey, DT, now read that post you written. That sounds like a RPG Yeah, like a RPG, not a hack n' slash or something. You forced players to think in your mod and to play in some strategious way. G.R.A.T.Z.

Well... I've experienced that myself and have to say that playing Duke with the new WMD relase is much more intresting than in original
Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #94
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Hey, DT, now read that post you written. That sounds like a RPG Yeah, like a RPG, not a hack n' slash or something. You forced players to think in your mod and to play in some strategious way. G.R.A.T.Z.

Well... I've experienced that myself and have to say that playing Duke with the new WMD relase is much more intresting than in original
A lot of my inspiration came from a mod for Diablo II LOD called "Nezeramontias". In the Nez mod, the author retained most of the original gameplay but added a ton of new skills and monsters and items and....everything. Yet, somehow, it was still balanced and provided almost endless fun. I played that for about six months, and it sucked away all of my free time and then some. When I was finished playing it, I knew that was the end of my life as a mere consumer and it was time to start producing things of my own. It was a few days later that I discovered EDuke32 and I started doing little con edits like making pigcops shoot rockets. Those con edits evolved into DNWMD.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #95
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
It was a few days later that I discovered EDuke32 and I started doing little con edits like making pigcops shoot rockets. Those con edits evolved into DNWMD.
Which will go down as a landmark in Duke Nukem History

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #96
Dopefish7590

^^^^^^^^^
yea, seriously

while using steriods, if you die you are brought back to life and keeps recharging health
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #97
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
^^^^^^^^^
yea, seriously

while using steriods, if you die you are brought back to life and keeps recharging health
Okay, that's bad

But without even looking at the code, I know it can be fixed with the insertion of one little "ifp palive" statement

Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #98
KillerBudgie

I love the beta! Can't wait for the full-blown version!
(Oh well, I guess another month of waiting can't hurt. Or can it?)
Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #99
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBudgie View Post
I love the beta! Can't wait for the full-blown version!
(Oh well, I guess another month of waiting can't hurt. Or can it?)
I'm still waiting for people to comment on balance issues. I don't have time to do a lot of play testing myself. Here are some key questions:

-Does the difficulty ramp up smoothly? Does it get too easy or too hard?
-Are certain upgrades too expensive? Too Cheap?
-Are certain upgrades or inventory items too useless? Too powerful?
-Are nuke coins and/or ammo coins too scarce? Too plentiful?
-Are certain alt-fire or special ammo modes too useless or too powerful?
-Are certain monsters too hard? Too easy?
-Are the boss battles sufficiently challenging?
-Are there any new features, items, monsters, etc. you would like?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #100
Blade Nightflame

I'll admit, that only those very small Duke recolor enemies are hell-a annoying. And I feel the armor and stuff cost could be lowered down for a very small bit, like 1-2 Skill Coins less than it actually.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #101
KillerBudgie

Why does buying the special ammo with ammo coins go over a weapons normal ammo limit? (e.g. Pistol is at 200) Is this a bug, or was it to be intentional?

I might have an idea; Try using different clip sizes for different weapons. I know this sounds a stupid, because you could just go into the ENHANCE.con file and change clip sizes there.
Last edited by KillerBudgie; 03-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #102
Odin

Personally I feel the flak rounds (alt-fire for the chaingun) don't last long enough.

Also I don't get the point of the liquid nitrogen spray special rounds for the freezethrower. They don't seem to freeze enough.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #103
Dopefish7590

Actually i love the new cyclaziod emporer

Quite challanging
Old 03-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #104
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Personally I feel the flak rounds (alt-fire for the chaingun) don't last long enough.

Also I don't get the point of the liquid nitrogen spray special rounds for the freezethrower. They don't seem to freeze enough.
You mean you think flak should bounce more times? I could do that, but then I think I should reduce the damage a bit. The thing is, they already bounce a couple of times, which is plenty for getting around corners. More than that, and I'm afraid it would be spam city.

The special freezethrower is pretty pointless, I agree. I guess I could make it something completely different, but I'm not sure what. Easier just to raise the damage. The freezing pipebombs are nice, though -- one of those can freeze a battlelord if well-placed.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #105
Dopefish7590

you cant get a protozoid slimer off of you by vampire kicking

i think that any enemy that takes all its damage from a few vampire kicks and no other means should drop a soul coin.

edit: you cant see special stuff wth x dimension goggles on through a camera-monitor

edit2: can you please make some 8 bit textures because i cant run it on 16, 24, or 32 bit (my pc hates polymost :\ )

edit3: you cant kill a trooper while they are choking

edit4: you can vampire kick enemies through a force field or thin wall

edit5: I noticed the feature you put into damn im good

edit6: if you pick up a turret pipebomb before it becomes a turret you lose 3 pipebombs because you drop 4 and pick up 1

edit7: If you drop a turret pipebomb and it opens before it hits the ground it will float there

edit8: lol the vampire kick is the first way i cauold ever kill a sentry drone without being hurt while kicking

edit9: if you vampire kick a rubber trash can against a wall it will elevate and stay there until you kick it again, then it will elevate even higher

edit10: if you vampire kick an enemy while its beside a wall and kill it, the corpse will go into the wall
Last edited by Dopefish7590; 03-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #106
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
The special freezethrower is pretty pointless, I agree. I guess I could make it something completely different, but I'm not sure what. Easier just to raise the damage. The freezing pipebombs are nice, though -- one of those can freeze a battlelord if well-placed.
If you modify the liquid nitrogen spray, make it faster as well. Last time I used it, if I recall correctly, it was slower than the freezethrower crystals.

If possible, could you upload the beta files again? I forgot that there was an update and I kinda need to download it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #107
KillerBudgie

Quote:
you cant get a protozoid slimer off of you by vampire kicking

i think that any enemy that takes all its damage from a few vampire kicks and no other means should drop a soul coin.

edit: you cant see special stuff wth x dimension goggles on through a camera-monitor

edit2: can you please make some 8 bit textures because i cant run it on 16, 24, or 32 bit (my pc hates polymost :\ )

edit3: you cant kill a trooper while they are choking

edit4: you can vampire kick enemies through a force field or thin wall

edit6: if you pick up a turret pipebomb before it becomes a turret you lose 3 pipebombs because you drop 4 and pick up 1

edit7: If you drop a turret pipebomb and it opens before it hits the ground it will float there

edit8: lol the vampire kick is the first way i cauold ever kill a sentry drone without being hurt while kicking

edit9: if you vampire kick a rubber trash can against a wall it will elevate and stay there until you kick it again, then it will elevate even higher

edit10: if you vampire kick an enemy while its beside a wall and kill it, the corpse will go into the wall
I've noticed that if you have raised an Energy Shield and start using the quick kick, you will harm the shield.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #108
KillerBudgie

Quote:
Yeah. Start with 2000 points, 10 Nuke coins & 110 Skill Points! And 2000 points means big trouble (when powerful enemies start spawning and don't have enough firepower to take 'em down!)
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #109
Dopefish7590

then again i upgraded damae to 110% and got lots o stuff
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #110
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBudgie View Post
Yeah. Start with 2000 points, 10 Nuke coins & 110 Skill Points! And 2000 points means big trouble (when powerful enemies start spawning and don't have enough firepower to take 'em down!)
Being Damn Good means knowing when to run.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #111
Blade Nightflame

What the hell, Duke bot enemies doing Hurricane Kicks ala Ryu? What kind of imagination runs through your mind, Deep'?

EDIT: Holy shit, the Battlelord Boss battle was insane. .__.

Last edited by Blade Nightflame; 03-11-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #112
DeeperThought

Quote:
EDIT: Holy shit, the Battlelord Boss battle was insane. .__.
I've been wondering about that, because gave him that "pokeball" attack, but never actually fought him. Does the battle seem about right?

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #113
Blade Nightflame

Well, I guess THAT difficult of a battle should belong to the Cycloid Emperor, imo. But I haven't fought HIM yet in WMD.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #114
DeeperThought

Quote:
Well, I guess THAT difficult of a battle should belong to the Cycloid Emperor, imo. But I haven't fought HIM yet in WMD.
What was so difficult about it? Were there a lot of special monsters spawning from the balls, or was it mostly regular pigcops?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #115
Blade Nightflame

Now and then I had the occasional Dimension X Newbeast, that, and the boss was a tough bastard. ;

But no worries, already went on to Episode 2 without any deaths, thank god for Nuke Coins and Shield.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #116
DeeperThought

Attached are some cons that fix a few bugs. This should fix/change:

-Liztoop being unhittable while suffering
-The vampire kick not killing slimes (it will do a regular kick if slime is on you)
-The rubber can getting kicked up and into walls
-Mini Dukes taunt less often
-Steroids resurrecting the player
-Special freezer shots do more damage

I also added a condition to the vampire kick which MIGHT prevent it from working through thin walls and other barriers. I haven't verified this.

Dopefish: I checked to see if the vampire kick made the player immune to fall damage, but in my tests it did not.

wmd.rar

Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #117
Reaper_Man

Deeperthought - I have some enemy code that I have unused for an AMC community mod a few years ago, that if you wanted I'd be happy to pass off. The 2 main things were a Liztroop Commander (yellow pal, that teleported in more Liztroops and Liz Captians) and the Displacer Beast (blue, transparent version of the Newbeast that teleports around randomly instead of shooting the shrinker).

Not sure if this would be up your alley.
Super AI Project / Duke RTS :: Coming Soon to an Actor near you!
Artificial Intelligence 101 :: Ask AI questions, get AI answers
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #118
Hendricks266
It sure would be up my alley.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #119
Dopefish7590

My eduke32 doesnt like your attached stuff, it says this:

Code:
Compiling: DTGAME.con (305859 bytes)
Including: DTDEFS.CON (41498 bytes)
Including: DTUSER.CON (52399 bytes)
Duke Nukem 3D v1.4+ style CON files detected.
Including: DTPROJECTILES.CON (27284 bytes)
Including: DTVARS.CON (9804 bytes)
Including: DTGORE.CON (12883 bytes)
Including: DTstatesevents.con (116858 bytes)
DTstatesevents.con: In event `EVENT_DISPLAYREST':
DTstatesevents.con:1079: error: symbol `MENU_NUKEBACK' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1084: error: symbol `MENU_YELLOWBACK' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1087: error: symbol `MENU_BLACKBACK' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1109: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1158: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1203: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1205: error: symbol `MENU_AMMO' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1270: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1272: error: symbol `MENU_BOOTS' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1335: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1337: error: symbol `MENU_ARMOR' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1385: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1387: error: symbol `MENU_DAMAGE' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1444: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1451: error: symbol `MENU_SHIELD' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1521: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1523: error: symbol `MENU_COMBO' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1583: error: symbol `MENU_GLOW' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:1585: error: symbol `MENU_GOGGLES' is not a game variable.
DTstatesevents.con:2074: error: symbol `MENU_ARROW' is not a game variable.
Found 0 warning(s), 20 error(s).
Error(s) found in file `DTGAME.con'.  Do you want to use the INTERNAL DEFAULTS (y/N)?
i am using the latest snapshot
Last edited by Dopefish7590; 03-14-2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #120
DeeperThought

That's because you missed the version where I changed those numbers into gamevars. I could attach the rest of the cons, but I think the art will be screwed up anyway because the one you missed had different .art files. Unfortunately, I need to upload the whole thing again, and I don't have time to put the package together and find a place for it right now. I'll try to do it this weekend.