Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
DeeperThought

Duke Nukem: WMD
I've been giving my Duke Nukem: Weapon of Mass Destruction mod an overhaul for an April 8th release.

This is the documention. Consider it a preview (it contains screen shots).

Everything in the documentation is working now, but I have over a month left to do fine tuning. I'm looking for a beta tester or two. I want someone who has a keen eye for bugs and is willing to spend some time with it to give me useful feedback. I'll put together a beta package tonight.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
DissidentRage

Re: Duke Nukem: WMD
Wow, looks like I've really been missing out. Last time I played it the menu was still just plain text.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
mr. pinky demon

The foot in the Second pic looks to twisted up and broken.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Hellbound

I LOVE IT!!!

New maps?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. pinky demon View Post
The foot in the Second pic looks to twisted up and broken.
The right leg is doing a side-kick, so the foot is in pretty much the correct position. It makes sense if you see the whole animation. I'm not saying it looks fantastic, but when you see the whole animation going by very fast it looks pretty good.

Hellbound: No new maps, but I include a ton of maps that most people have never played.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Hellbound

This side kick looks very cool!
And where have you stolen those maps?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Dopefish7590

That looks awesome... especally the menu

when can we expect a download?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
I've been giving my Duke Nukem: Weapon of Mass Destruction mod an overhaul for an April 8th release.

This is the documention. Consider it a preview (it contains screen shots).

Everything in the documentation is working now, but I have over a month left to do fine tuning. I'm looking for a beta tester or two. I want someone who has a keen eye for bugs and is willing to spend some time with it to give me useful feedback. I'll put together a beta package tonight.
Sign me up for the beta. This thing looks kickass.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
That's more like it

I'll send you a PM with a download link as soon as I get it together. Probably in a few hours (I can't do much until the kids go to bed).

Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Hellbound

I wanna be a beta tester too !!!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Telee

Awesome! The current version is kick-*** and I'm sure this one is going to be great too

The menus look great, as do the screenshots
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Dopefish7590

Quote:
YOU CAN DO THAT?!? SIGN ME UP TOO!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Yatta

I like the screenshots. Good work.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
DeeperThought

OK, I think I have enough beta testers now. Thanks, guys. I'll be in touch.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #15
Geoffrey
Awesome stuff And that spacestation map is so awesome; it's like it's been made for gameplay modifications. Can't wait to run through it with the WMD enhancements
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #16
zchri9

this is great but the foot is weird i love it but the actual foot O.o
Old 02-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #17
MagNet

Wow looks like a really well done job, may I test?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #18
Geoffrey
Oh! Almost forgot. You mentioned that you were thinking of adding fbsp003 on amc (iirc) - if you do, could you please delete the two switch sprites I stuck on the doors of one of the buildings? I made them so you'd hear some duke grunts when you tried to open them but I hadn't considered models, so now they look ugly as *

If you're not adding it well ok I'll sit in the corner and cry.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
Loke

Very cool.
- The Stinger
Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
Oh! Almost forgot. You mentioned that you were thinking of adding fbsp003 on amc (iirc) - if you do, could you please delete the two switch sprites I stuck on the doors of one of the buildings? I made them so you'd hear some duke grunts when you tried to open them but I hadn't considered models, so now they look ugly as *

If you're not adding it well ok I'll sit in the corner and cry.

Geoffrey, the map is already being used as part of the Retribution episode (I guess you weren't paying attention in my DNWMD thread at AMC ). I'm not sure which building you're talking about, so if you could do it yourself and post it, I'll be sure to include the fixed version.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #21
DeeperThought

Beta testers: I think we should go ahead and have our discussions here in this forum, because I don't want to keep track of separate conversations in PMs. Besides, the game is not a big secret...

I fixed a few small bugs:

The Commander does not turn to face the player when dead (I don't normally use the HRP so I didn't notice earlier)

The treasure chest sparkles will now appear on the chest, and not in random locations

Coins are less likely to end up in places the player cannot get to

Pigcops should no longer display a tank animation for a split second when transitioning to the diving state (I only saw this happen once, but now it shouldn't happen at all)

Also, at Hellbound's request, I made the dodge/combo tapping times quicker, so you don't accidentally dodge off a wall or something. Let me know if it's too fast now.

To make these changes, just extract the attached .rar and put the cons in your directory. Remember that you have to start a new game for con changes to take effect.

wmd.rar

Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #22
Dopefish7590

When i tried to play retrebution i got an error that said that eduk32 has encountered a fatal error and will now exit

heres my log
Attached Files
File Type: zip eduke32.zip (2.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #23
Zaero
Thumbs up Re: Duke Nukem: WMD
You've got to be kidding....HOLY SHIT! COOL!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
Dopefish7590

I notice in your version of teh double jump and steroids you could use the steriods from behind the poster in E1L1 then jump to the nuke symbol...
Its fun... but cheesey for some levels

double jump can be used to evade falling death by double jumping while in air close to the ground after falling quite a distance

can you make it so that you cant double jump after duke falls fast?
Last edited by Kalki; 02-22-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: merged
Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #25
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish7590 View Post
I notice in your version of teh double jump and steroids you could use the steriods from behind the poster in E1L1 then jump to the nuke symbol...
Its fun... but cheesey for some levels
Quote:
double jump can be used to evade falling death by double jumping while in air close to the ground after falling quite a distance

can you make it so that you cant double jump after duke falls fast?
In my experience, the second jump doesn't eliminate falling damage entirely. I think it's because I don't reset the player's falling counter. But, in general: yes, this mod allows the player to do some things that seem like cheating on many of the maps. To prevent this, I would have to nerf the moves to the point where they aren't much fun, imo.

It's actually worse than you think. For example, in E1L1, you can use wall jumps to climb the walls of the alley and get up to the secret area way up high without using the jetpack (think Metroid). Or, easier, you can get into the room behind the movie screen which has a jetpack by jumping up in the alley outside with your back against the wall which faces the window opening, then double tapping forward to push from the wall to jump through the window. I wouldn't be surprised if there were levels where you could get a key prematurely. However, in my mod, the main point is supposed to be to get the highest score possible, and you won't do that by skipping big parts of levels.

By the way, if you play on "DAMN I'M GOOD" the monsters will NOT respawn, but it is harder in other ways and you can get a higher score.

EDIT: I think I'll change it so that the player is not allowed to double-jump if he has been falling long enough to take damage.

Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-21-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #26
Odin

In the documentation, include that you need copies of GAME/USER/DEFS.CON. I thought you only needed duke3d.grp and the game crashed.

Also, after dying once and restarting, the Duke Cursor on the Upgrades screen no longer works. I can't see it, the buttons won't detect it if I shake my mouse rapidly, it's like it's not there at all. I restarted DNWMP and even cleared the texture cache, no go.
Last edited by Odin; 02-21-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #27
Dopefish7590

if you are in third person and vampire kick... it displays the kick as if it were firstperson

no it does not pause the game when you goto the upgrade menu

the vampire kick needs to do more damage imo... i can kill an enforcer easer with regular kick
Last edited by Kalki; 02-22-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: merged
Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #28
Hellbound

yes, vampire kick should be stronger IMO

drones are shaking (change faceplayerslow to faceplayer)

does minor Battlelord has more hit points or it's just the matter of my not-much-upgraded skills? He is very hard to kill now

and I had a strange situation... I used holobot, he was green and started to shoot at me

... and... it's cool I love how vampire kick looks in action!

edit:

and don't you think that bigger enemies shouldn't "fly" so far when hit? It's somehow hilarious when I'm shooting Battlelord and he is being thrown on walls

edit2:

Yes! now dodging is perfect!

edit3:

could you make player sprite to animate the kick when performing a vampirekick ? It would look cool!

And dopefish - can you use "edit" button ?
Last edited by Hellbound; 02-21-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #29
DeeperThought

Quote:
In the documentation, include that you need copies of GAME/USER/DEFS.CON. I thought you only needed duke3d.grp and the game crashed.
DNWMD uses only the cons that are included with it. It does not use GAME.CON, USER.CON or DEFS.CON. In my test folder, I installed it according to the documentation and it worked fine. If it crashed for you, please provide details.

EDIT: I'm also not having the problem where the cursor disappears after restarting the level. Does anyone else have this problem? I want to get to the bottom of this.

Dopefish: I cannot make the upgrade menu pause the game. A true game pause would prevent the player from using the menu. The best I can do is halt the actors. If you notice a monster shooting you while the menu is up, then we have a problem.

Hellbound: When the Holobot was shooting at you, was he turning to aim at you when you moved out of the way? It could be that he was shooting at an invisible monster that just happened to be behind you (which is something I need to fix). And yes, I will reduce the knock-back on larger enemies.

Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-21-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #30
Odin

Quote:
EDIT: I'm also not having the problem where the cursor disappears after restarting the level. Does anyone else have this problem? I want to get to the bottom of this.
I should add that this is happening every time I start a new game, no matter what episode.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
DeeperThought

Quote:
I should add that this is happening every time I start a new game, no matter what episode.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you can't use the upgrade menu at all, even when starting a new game (not just restarting the level) because the cursor is nowhere to be seen, and nothing can be selected ( it is not just invisible, it is not there at all).

EDIT: OK, to sum up what we discovered on MSN: You had your crosshair turned off, and my mod apparently uses the displaycrosshair event to do stuff necessary for making the menu work. I can't imagine why I would do that in any display event, let alone the crosshair one, but I will fix that.

Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-21-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #32
C. M. Dratz

Just reading the (new?) DN:WMD document wowed me quit a bit. I've always wanted duke to sidekick the shit out of a monster ( )...and I am used to wall jumping from an old Nintendo game, Strider. That was a fun, and sometimes frustrating game.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #33
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Dratz View Post
Just reading the (new?) DN:WMD document wowed me quit a bit. I've always wanted duke to sidekick the shit out of a monster ( )...and I am used to wall jumping from an old Nintendo game, Strider. That was a fun, and sometimes frustrating game.
Yeah, I remember Strider. I remember playing it in the arcades and thinking it had the greatest graphics ever. I was excited when the NES version came out, but it was a completely different game and looked like crap. Ah, memories...

Beta Testers:
I didn't get much time to work on this today, but I managed to fix a few bugs. The attached cons address most of the issues brought up. Bigger monsters don't get knocked back as far (someone should verify this, because it is untested), and the first-person kick does not display in 3rd person view. Instead, Duke does the normal kick animation while moving forward. Of course, I would like to have a new animation, but that would mean adding animation to the Duke model (since most people use the HRP), and I don't know how to do that. This also fixes the crosshair bug and a few other minor issues. Vampire kick damage is increased by about 33%...I think it's going to be too high, unless it is balanced somehow (a power meter?) Oh, the invisible NEWBEASTs that guard the treasure chests are now partially visible, in a ghostly way (I got tired of losing half my health before realizing one of them was standing next to me).

Hellbound: That Holobot incident may have actually been an Evil Duke enemy. Those start to spawn after a few thousand points.

wmd.rar

Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #34
Hellbound

Och, forgot to say that I like your gibs and sounds of them
Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #35
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
does minor Battlelord has more hit points or it's just the matter of my not-much-upgraded skills? He is very hard to kill now
For some reason I had raised BOSS1PALSTRENGTH to 1500. I will set it back to 1000.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #36
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Dopefish: I cannot make the upgrade menu pause the game. A true game pause would prevent the player from using the menu. The best I can do is halt the actors. If you notice a monster shooting you while the menu is up, then we have a problem.
thats the problem with the cyclaziod emepeor on stadium

also noticed fire from shotgun wont hurt a trooper while its chocking
Last edited by Dopefish7590; 02-22-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #37
DeeperThought

Quote:
thats the problem with the cyclaziod emepeor on stadium

also noticed fire from shotgun wont hurt a trooper while its chocking
What's happening is that the emperor is staying in the last ai setting I gave it, even though no code is being executed. It continues to move towards the player, but won't shoot any new projectiles. I'm going to change it so that the menu will actually stop him. (I guess I should do the same for some other monsters).

What do you think fire should do to a trooper already choking? Do you want it to stop the choking animation and make him die immediately?

Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-22-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #38
Dopefish7590

yea... kinda
Old 02-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #39
C. M. Dratz

Quote:
Yeah, I remember Strider. I remember playing it in the arcades and thinking it had the greatest graphics ever. I was excited when the NES version came out, but it was a completely different game and looked like crap. Ah, memories...
There was/is also a Sega Genesis version.

Quote:
Beta Testers:
I didn't get much time to work on this today, but I managed to fix a few bugs. The attached cons address most of the issues brought up. Bigger monsters don't get knocked back as far (someone should verify this, because it is untested), and the first-person kick does not display in 3rd person view. Instead, Duke does the normal kick animation while moving forward. Of course, I would like to have a new animation, but that would mean adding animation to the Duke model (since most people use the HRP), and I don't know how to do that. This also fixes the crosshair bug and a few other minor issues. Vampire kick damage is increased by about 33%...I think it's going to be too high, unless it is balanced somehow (a power meter?) Oh, the invisible NEWBEASTs that guard the treasure chests are now partially visible, in a ghostly way (I got tired of losing half my health before realizing one of them was standing next to me).

Hellbound: That Holobot incident may have actually been an Evil Duke enemy. Those start to spawn after a few thousand points.

Attachment 6780
Maybe pressing and releasing the sidekick could be a plain higher damage knockback kick, whereas holding the kick would be a vampire sidekick?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #40
DeeperThought

Beta testers, I found some bugs:

Level progression broken at fourth map of Retribution episode
The lightning gun is overpowered early in the game
Alt-fire works when menu is up
Sometimes bodies of treasure chest guardian newbeasts spawn jibs continuously
sometimes LIZTROOP bodies are blocking
sometimes COMMANDERs do the spin attack when too far away
shield with zapping upgrade tries to zap dead bodies
the weapon and ammo HUD display can disappear if you die and then load your last saved game
the railgun trail will occasionally stop appearing and then never comes back

The last one is really strange because there is nothing about the trail which depends on things in the game that can change. The others I will try to fix and post an update for some time on Friday.

One thing I'm not too happy about is the way that upgrading tends to accelerate as the game progresses. This is because the tougher monsters give more skill points, but the cost of upgrades doesn't really increase to keep pace.