Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > General Messages > 3DR Forums Greatest Hits
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Depp
The DNF Journal: A Mans Hands-On Experience..
Yes recently I have discovered a journal hidden in the abyss of an abandoned dorm-room. The journal contains horrors that can not easily be described by man. The following is the journal. I do not know by what means he acquired DNF:

Intro - The Icon

Well first thing you will notice is the icon which is the typical icon size. The fact that the icon seemed so typical turned me off but I’ll get into more details about it later. I double-clicked the icon and the game loaded up. I timed it to see how fast it would load up and it took 6.3 seconds until it got to the first company logo screen and it required one click (one not two) to get past that one and then required the same thing to get past the second one. Then it came to the menu.

Chapter I – The Menu

The menu seemed to take advantage of the full 32bit color scheme and had some animations on it. I first noticed these animations as my cerebral cortex was able to process it and I looked on the menu for approximately 10 minutes to the 2nd power, noticing all the details before I found out from a friend “Hey, get going, this is just the menu.” At that moment it dawned on me I was watching a looping animation for over an hour and a half. The animation was cool but considering this game took so long to make, I thought the menu should have at least been the equivalent to a 1960’s budget film. I guess the menu just wasn’t their priority but I moved on.

I clicked Single Player and it took me to another screen asking me the difficulty. I noticed the font each difficulty was in was a rather odd font and I didn’t recognize it at first but after hours of research I determined it was a custom font. I think the sound that it makes when you click something was a 128kbps file and was in decent quality that included bass and treble support. Though it was a great audio file, it certainly wasn’t the best piece of audio I had ever heard which is unfortunate because this is a 6-year project. Oh well, hopefully they make up for it when I get to the actual game.

Chapter II – The First Ten Seconds

Apparently in this build there still isn’t a video which is unfortunate considering the development time this project has undergone. Basically it starts off where you are Duke. I looked down and realized I must have been standing. The floor compared to other games was actually very nice but it really wasn’t the nicest floor I have ever seen which was kind of disappointing considering the game took forever just to get to this point and it’s still in development. I noticed there was bumpmapping and that the graphics were really something special but once again, I must complain about the graphics because they weren’t as great as you know, well, they just, I guess, they didn’t look as detailed as in the real world.

Next I noticed that you control him with the standard WASD keys and the mouse which was to be expected though it kind of made DNF feel more like a great game than a perfect game which I was kind of expecting. I thought 3DR would have at least done some research into the next stage up from WASD keyboard control. Oh well.

Chapter III – The Next Ten Seconds

I moved but it wasn’t quite “genre-defining movement.” Next.

Chapter IV – 6 Hours Later

A couple movements later I came into contact with my first piece of physics. It was a soda can. The soda can looked good but I didn’t quite get that “I’m looking at a real soda can,” sensation that I was kind of expecting. I kicked the soda can after analyzing it for about 10 minutes and I saw that it had real physics applied to it!... or whatever is close to real physics because it looked pretty real but I also didn’t get that “I just kicked a soda can,” sensation that I get in real life. After saving and reloading about 6 times to try it from different angles, I moved on.

Chapter V – Another 6 Hours Later…

I’m now nearly delirious from sitting down so much and staring at the computer monitor so it’s kind of a blur what happened, but I eventually got a weapon after a series of events. I must say the gun looked pretty damn nice and had some cool sound effects and decals but whereas I expected to be literally blown back from my seat as if I had really fired a shot into my monitor. The pistol was really cool and I noticed the metallic exterior and the engraving on the side.

Chapter VI – my firsSt encounter wit thea monster

Time bears no meaning on me anymore. What seems like days could easily be years… I have spent so long going through each detail in this game that I believe my mind may be losing its grasp on reality and slipping into insanity. When I was finally approached by the alien, I did not know what to do. The moment had seemed to… surreal. I have spent the last six years of my life waiting for this moment and it now seems as though all this work and waiting had been extinguished in a few moments. I was hesitant to fire the first shot but eventually I mustered up the courage to. I shot the alien and he did not die. Perhaps if I had shot him again he would have died but the feeling of finally shooting in the shoes of Duke was too… too… surreal… for me to believe. Horrified, I ripped my computer out of the wall and destroyed my creation, my lover. I am writing this journal because perhaps when the game is released we will simply play it as a game. Do not fall subject to the path I followed. Play it as it was meant to play. I feel as though this game has potential. Let my life be a testimony to the misdeeds I have committed. Please, God, forgive me, my life has been in vain!

Old 03-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
Wild Falkon
Re: The DNF Journal: A Mans Hands-On Experience..
LMAO!
Old 03-12-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Marty

3DR, you've created another monster!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Wamplet

Goooo nite nite!

good story boss [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img]

as long as someone dies in the end, its always a good story.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 03-12-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Depp
"LMAO" ?!

"STORY" ?!

WHAT IS THIS?! HAVE YOU LEARNT NOTHING?! NOTHING?!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #6
Dutch
haha wise words. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
Depp
indeed
Old 03-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #8
Axon-Five
Good Story? My God! What is becoming of our world?

Depp, you should take pride in atleast one thing... You have inspired me to create G.A.P.P.

Gamers Against Partaking and Playing

Drugs=Bad or are you still confused on this?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
OJCME
Nice, almost...Lovecraftian.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:53 AM   #10
Theseus314
I like.