Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Duke Rocks

problems with saving textures to \"Mylevel\"
OK, so what i did was i took texture packages out of other unreal-based game's directories and put them in ut 2004's texture folder, so i can use them with that version of the editor.

how do i make it so that the "new" textures are saved into the level itself and so that when someone downloads the level, the textures the level and everything will be saved into one package?

I tried saving them to the mylevel package, but when I exited the editor and went back in, only two of the added textures remained there and the rest were gone!

could someone please tell me what i might be doing wrong and how to fix it?

thanx

ps- i know that this could be illegal, but don't worry the level i'm making will not be distributed in any way shape or form-it's for private use only
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Parkar

Re: problems with saving textures to \"Mylevel\"
Quote:
Duke Rocks said:
OK, so what i did was i took texture packages out of other unreal-based game's directories and put them in ut 2004's texture folder, so i can use them with that version of the editor.

how do i make it so that the "new" textures are saved into the level itself and so that when someone downloads the level, the textures the level and everything will be saved into one package?

I tried saving them to the mylevel package, but when I exited the editor and went back in, only two of the added textures remained there and the rest were gone!

could someone please tell me what i might be doing wrong and how to fix it?

thanx

ps- i know that this could be illegal, but don't worry the level i'm making will not be distributed in any way shape or form-it's for private use only
If it is for private use only why do you need them in the mylevel package?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Duke Rocks

That's a very good question!

I'm a bit obssesive about these sort of things and if I happen to delete the game and reinstall it I want the textures to still be there. (I'm constantly trying to free memory-I'm down to my last few GBs)
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Parkar

Unless you only have one map it is way more efficient to keep them in a separate package since two maps can share the same textures.

Anyway to Move them to the mylevel package, rename them and change the package field to mylevel.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Co11
Re: problems with saving textures to "Mylevel"
Most 3rd party developers like to make everything one happy file. That's why the mylevel thing is used. There's no reason to use it, and in fact I prefer seperating things. If you somehow corrupt the model as it's getting imported, how bad would it be if it corrupted your entire map?

I've also had issues with saving stuff to mylevel, but that was an early build of the runtime. Haven't tried it since.