Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
johnbirshire
Question A few questions before I buy Duke Nukem 3D XBLA
Like many others here, I am very fond of Duke 3D's multiplayer, played it relentlessly for a good year after it came out over modem link with friends while running up the phone bill, on TEN, or on Kali while competing via Case's Ladder.

I was pretty excited to see this game released for XBox 360, even though it would take some getting used to aiming with the controller, I would still get an opportunity to relive some death match.

That being said, just had a few questions before I purchase it:

1. Did we always run so fast?! I downloaded the demo to check it out, and with run enabled I felt like I was running twice as fast as I ever remember running "back in the day". Without run mode on felt like the speed I remember, with run mode on it felt like steroid speed. Although this will inevitably make me sound like a schmuck...I didn't like it at all. Did later versions of Duke Nukem 3D, like the expansion editions etc, boost up the run speed? Or was it made ridiculously fast on the XBox for a reason?

2. Do you create the game yourself, and others join? Therefore allowing you to pick the maps, etc? Or is it a server that everybody joins and it randomly matches for you?

3. When you choose 1 vs 1, do you HAVE to have a friend and invite them, or does it partner you with a random person to 1 vs 1?

4. How long is the wait for a game? A lot of people playing, you get right in to a 1 vs 1 or 8 person FFA?

Thanks for answering! *assuming someone does*
Last edited by johnbirshire; 03-03-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added a question...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
MegaMustaine

Re: A few questions before I buy Duke Nukem 3D XBLA...
1 - Running speed has always been this speed.

2 - Ranked matches are random, but you can set up an unranked match to your specifications.

3 - Random on ranked and with player matches, anything goes.

4 - Last Tuesday night, or more like 1am Wednesday mountain time, I was waiting about a minute at a time for full ranked matches. Having said that it varies just like every other XBL game besides Halo and COD4, but most of the time you should be able to find some sort of match.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
johnbirshire
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I went back and looked at some Duke 3D PC videos on Youtube, and it does appear as if it has always been this fast. But again, it's been 11+ years, my memory is a little clouded, perhaps it didn't seem that fast to me back then because I was used to it.

I had one more quick question that I can think of, when watching some XBLA videos on Youtube, people had the blue bar at the top of the screen that showed replays...that isn't always there is it?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
GreenDevilJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbirshire View Post
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I went back and looked at some Duke 3D PC videos on Youtube, and it does appear as if it has always been this fast. But again, it's been 11+ years, my memory is a little clouded, perhaps it didn't seem that fast to me back then because I was used to it.

I had one more quick question that I can think of, when watching some XBLA videos on Youtube, people had the blue bar at the top of the screen that showed replays...that isn't always there is it?

I am pretty sure that the running speed is the same, and you mean the bar that shows how long the video is?, then yes it is always there.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
GOK

The bar is NOT always there when playing a game - only when replaying a vid.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
johnbirshire
Re: A few questions before I buy Duke Nukem 3D XBLA
Is it easy to find 1 on 1 matches regularly?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
GreenDevilJF
Re: A few questions before I buy Duke Nukem 3D XBLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbirshire View Post
Is it easy to find 1 on 1 matches regularly?

I don't regulary play online, but I wouldn't say that you could always find a match, I either can't find one or it lags.

I don't know maybe you'll have better luck.