Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
MagusElOscuro

A few doubts about gas traps in ROTT maps
Hi everyone in here. So I'm making a pack of monster maps (literally. Think EROTT tricks in huge Dark War-like maps), and one of them (E1A2) has a nice feature: since the beginning of the map, you'll see gas grates in every room of the level. You'll also notice there are a few gas masks spread here and there...if I were you I won't waste them. The name of the level itself, A Monumental Failure, comes from this. Why? Because once you've beaten the 90% of the level, you'll step on a touchplate....and every gas grate in the level will release gas. So it's a matter of getting health items and gas masks until you find the switch to turn off the gas, and this can be the failure the name of the level portraits: you've done all the work, and suddenly all the "harmless" grates of the floor punch you right in your balls and kill you. Of course, the gas' touchplate HAS TO BE ACTIVATED, because it also triggers needed events to advance until the find of Oscuro Key, which will allow you to open the last door harboring the level's exit.

So the question is how can I make the gas be activated by one touchplate, having to activate another to turn off the gas?.I cannot find the way , and I'm thinking the gas only works in a certain period of time exclusively, and you cannot make it to work in this way: you turn off the touchplate, gas releases, then, search for the other touchplate/switch to turn gas off. Is there any way of making this? It's a pity, because this feature will be killer for my map. I also thought in put the gas to begin once you've spent alot of time to solve the puzzle of the map, before gas begins. Having to solve the level before a certain time is wasted (in this case, I won't put gas masks, for sure, and so the challenge will be tougher). Unfortunately, I can't find a way to make gas a timed event, or I don't know if it cannot work in this way. The help file of the editors don't tell you anything about, so I saw the known levels with gas: Great Halls Of Fire and Fire And Brimstone (Dark War) and 95 Windows & The Grand Vomitorium (EROTT); but all of these maps seem to have the gas only as a trap to work only for a certain little time.
Well, and you've the question above. Can someone help me in here? I need the gas trap to work in that way, or it will be useless. The better for my map, the way of: you activate gas by one touchplate, you've to search another to turn gas off. But if it's not possible, the second way: gas activates after a certain period of time.
Thanks and regards.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 05-02-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
MagusElOscuro

Re: A few doubts about gas traps in ROTT maps
Ouch. I know perfectly how the Touchplates and Switches work (pretty easy comparing with ROTT3Deditor), what I was asking is if Gas events can be executed in this way: one Touchplate turns it on, then you must turn it off by another Touchplate/Switch. I know how to trigger Gas events, but only as a limited time trap. I was asking if there's a way to make it work like the way I need. The map is fully built and it works (excepts for the gas as the way I need to put it) successfully. I say more, almost the whole Episode 1 is built (the secret level still not). It's massive and such difficult that you'd think it's Episode 4 instead of Episode 1 (and not only for the presence of Monks).

I use, by the way, and exclusively, Rott mapper Deluxe (registered).

Thanks for the answer anyway, it's good to see some life in this forum at least.
Cheers.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
DragonsLover

I'm sad to say that it's going to be a killer for your map as it's not possible to deactivate gas using a switch or touchplate. I would have say to use 2 separate coordinates on your Gas front tile, but I don't think it's possible.

Just wondering: how do you manage to get Rott Mapper Deluxe to work? Do you use a VM or you're under a 32bit OS?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
MagusElOscuro

Ok, I was afraid of that. Well, I won't surrender, I'll see what I do with the trap, nevertheless, I'd say the map itself doesn't need the Gas' trap at all, it's just what the name of the level portraits.
How do I manage the ROTTMapperDeluxe to work? I've got:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3. Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM. At least this is what my PC says. Why? Can't you use ROTMapper Deluxe or what? Or are you refering to how did I manage to unlock the registration?.

By the way, thanks to WinROTT to put custom wall tiles is EASY as ****. I'm proud to say my maps will have a true original flavor for being the classic ROTT. Some of my custom walls were built to look like ROTT 2013's ones, just modifying already existing wall tiles, especially HD ones. And all with Paint and MS Office Picture Manager.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 06-26-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
DragonsLover

I have Windows 7 64-bit and since it's a 16-bit level editor, I can't run it unless I use a virtual machine. And if I remember, trying to unlock the registration didn't work.

Custom wall tiles? The ones by default are within the .WAD file, unless you used another way.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
MagusElOscuro

Yeah, I've been reading massive complaints of people about Windows 7, but hey, at least you have Framework 3.5 without having to install it. The registration of ROTTMapperDeluxe did work for me FOR SURE, if not I would have driven mad to build such monster maps without having the chance to be informed about the errors which make the map ruin. At the moment, I've built the whole Episode1 (except the L8), and the two first levels of Episode 2.

And the adding of ROTT custom tiles is extremely easy with the "use external GFx" option of WinROTT. I must tell I have changed more than five floor tiles and alot of walls. It's, I repeat, extremely easy. And without modifying the WAD file (which would be a nightmare for me). I think there are more custom walls in the folder of my external gfx than original, if I'm not wrong. But I'd leave the light walls, isn't the same without them. The modified stuff works nicely and without crashes.

Cheers.
Last edited by MagusElOscuro; 07-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.