Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
reble
re: Blake Stone Aliens of Gold
I have the registered verson. The game was working fine untill today. I have been playing from game 1 level 1 with no problem. When I got to game 4 level 7 the game started acting up. When I start level 7, it starts to play then Blake Stone drops out to the DOS promp with the following error message "$84 error $01". What does this error message meen?

Steve
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
MrBlackCat

Re: Blake Stone Aliens of Gold
Hey reble...

I am unable to help, but the some questions people who can help are going to ask is if you are in DOS Box inside Windows (or actually on a DOS machine) and if so, what version of Windows are you running. They will know what questions to ask beyond that. That should get them started though.

I still run DOS on several computers so I am not able to help much. I will check back later to see if I am able to add anything.

Good Luck...

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
reble
I am running Dosbox in XP Pro
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
MrBlackCat

This site has become quite slow since Duke Nukem Forever was bought by GearBox Software, so it might take a few days to get an answer. Hang in there though.

I will check back in a day or two... I am pretty sure it can be fixed though. Might have to change something about DOS Box.

Did you buy the game and it came with DOS Box, or were you already a DOS Box user?

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
reble
I got Blake Stone registered verson after I started using Dosbox. I have a large amount of old dos games like Blake Stone that I am playing because this old laptop doesn't have the resources to play the newer windows games.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
filipetolhuizen
Already got the latest patch?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
reble
The latest patch for what? Blake Stone or Dosbox?

Steve
Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
MrBlackCat

He means have you patched it up to version 3.0... if you bought an original version it might not be version 3.0
I have all versions and have not any issues with each, but I don't play it exhaustively and I don't play it in DOS Box.

You can get the patches here of course...
http://www.3drealms.com/blake/index.html

See what version you have and apply the appropriate patches and see if that takes care of it.

I don't think I ever read a bug fix log for Blake Stone, but certain problems that didn't surface as commonly in native DOS could surface in DOS Box.

MrBlackCat

Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
PimPamPet
There is no difference between Blake Stone v2.0/v3.0 except the pricing in the order information screen (and they added that annoying graphic to the main menu to promote it). As for this particular problem, it might be a design bug in the game (I've never run into it myself though) or perhaps you might try slowing down your CPU cycles in DOSBox? Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't be of much help either.

edit: Does the bug occur right at the beginning of the level or at any specific area?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
reble
The error happens just shortly after I get out of the elavator and I start shooting the enemy troops.

Steve
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
PimPamPet
Perhaps your saved game is damaged. Have you tried warping directly to that level using a cheat code, instead of loading your saved game? Alternatively, it could be any other of the game's data files, perhaps a reinstall will solve the problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Bryan3DR
Administrator

I will agree with PimPamPet Mainly because $84x01 means that an actor walked out of the map. Which would never happen under a normal game (no cheat codes ect.)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
moron

hey I know its off topic but whats the error for an actor walking out of the map in ROTT?
the push-wall error is well known but I have never gotten the actor error, or come to think of it is it even possible? because you die when you fall off the map?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Player Lin
The DOS ROTT did check player's position and if player is on a "no-floor-sound-areas"(BG tiles 108-152) of area then stop the game and gives error :

Rise of the Triad Error
ob type player at XXX,YYY has illegal areanumber of 149

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/attach...1&d=1302691909
(second of attachment)

Because normally, there is no any data on outside of maparea, then DOS ROTT will give this shit.

(Actors like enemy, weapons, items and other things too. But gives other error.)
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/attach...1&d=1302691909
(first of attachment)

My test map : Nothing on it, just put map info data and player start(with my ROTT mapset file for this test. )
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/attach...1&d=1302691998
(third of attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: png dosbox_000.png (3.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png dosbox_001.png (3.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 76328975941798532798523.JPG (64.5 KB, 11 views)
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Last edited by Player Lin; 04-13-2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: FIXED MY SHIT, silly me.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
moron

interesting I got frustrated with the gads myself so I never got much into level editing
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Darkman 4
How would an actor be able to get out of the walls in Wolf 3D or Blake Stone in the first place? Even with cheat codes, I don't see how that could happen.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
Player Lin
If you running fast to enough, you may go through the walls and if the backside of the walls has nothing, then game crashed. But I don't think it would be easy to make it happens(I only make it happens once in Blake Stone). Unless you hacked player's running speed, but it's just stupid I guess. I just remember I did this shit on Duke3D in DOS, set Duke's running speed to 99999 by using an unknown USER.CON editor, then finally, I broke the game totally(Duke3D crashed with weird text in screen and its directory and files damaged after I reboot) and must reinstall game again.../facepalm
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Last edited by Player Lin; 04-15-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fix my silly shit, again...