Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Laptop boots to black screen
To provide the backstory first: I have an Asus G73 gaming laptop (Win7, 64 bit, SP1) that I purchased back in 2010. In the past week there were some files released on Windows Update, and my computer constantly failed to install them after multiple attempts. The error codes suggested I had some malware on my computer.

Microsoft Security Essentials told me I had Trojan:Alureon.A on my computer. MSE didn't seem to remove it effectively, so I used Kaspersky TDSSkiller to "cure" the computer. For good measure, afterward I used Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, and the MSERT Microsoft Security Scanner to make absolutely sure the computer was clean.

Now, despite multiple reboot attempts, my computer keeps logging on to a black screen with nothing on it but the mouse cursor. The cursor can move around normally, but otherwise there is no interface. The mouse buttons and keyboard buttons don't allow me to do anything. I have tried to boot in low-resolution video (640x480) but the problem is still there.

However, when I boot in safe mode with networking (this is what I'm doing right now), I am taken to the desktop normally. Not sure what other steps I can take, although the one thing I really don't want to do is format my hard drive/reinstall Windows.

Any thoughts? Is this a problem with my display drivers, or some kind of extremely nasty and resilient virus?

Thanks.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Morbid

Re: Laptop boots to black screen
Uh it could be so many things, a messed up registry value for the desktop, something deleted or altered by the antivirus concerning the dwm (desktop window manager) a corrupted hotfix file, or altered/deleted privileges to some file or registry value... Can you switch to another user using Ctrl-Alt-Del, without going to safe-mode? I think you need a lot of experimentation to find out what it really can be using google search...
Last edited by Morbid; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Corvin

Try: Uninstall your display drivers then reinstall them from safe mode.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
KO Gilligan

It's a nasty one - Personally, I'd nuke the drive and reload Windows....
There is a tool that digs it out. According to Symantec, it's done some hefty damage, and installed some clever nasties:
http://www.symantec.com/security_res...911-99&tabid=3
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 02-19-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
FullMetalJacket
Thank you for that tool! My laptop appears to be fully healed. It's been operating without flaw for a week now.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."