Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
ixfd64

Acer computers = bad?
I've personally experienced a bunch of problems with Acer machines:

1. My mother's Acer laptop appears to have a defective battery that lasts a couple of minutes on a full charge. The laptop itself seems to crashes a lot.

2. One of my co-workers had two Acer Veriton X desktops that died on him. The second one worked after he did a factory restore, but it now has a hard drive problem. CrystalDiskInfo shows three reallocated sectors and rates the drive as "bad."

3. Another Acer Veriton X kept sending incorrect results to the GIMPS distributed computing project. Strangely enough, IntelBurnTest and Prime95's own torture test showed no errors.

4. Two other colleagues were having problems with yet another Acer Veriton X desktop, which would only show a blank green screen and refuse to boot.

Do Acer computers really suck that bad? Has anyone else ever had issues with them?

Visit my forums!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Waiter

Re: Acer computers = bad?
I have an Acer Aspire 4810TG laptop that has been my friend for about a year and a half. Never had a problem that was related to Acer or any other hardware.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Inanimate Carbon Rod

1. Laptop batteries go bad overtime.
2. If a factory restore fixed his problem, then it was a user error until his hd crashed.
3. dunno.
4. genuine problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Rapture_Rising

Im not a real computer expert but i have never had any trouble with Acer although my old Acer laptop had the same issue with the battery losing charge in about half an hour but that was an issue with the battery itself and not the hardware and my last Acer desktop the PSU died, considering that the easiest option was just to replace the computer altogether.

There might just be an issues with Veriton X line of products.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
MAT

I have an Acer Aspire 6930g laptop for over 2 years now and had never a problem with it.

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Morbid

I had one 6-7 years ago. Monitor died shortly after the warranty period of 2 years and they had no service parts for it. Not that laptops from other companies are better though. A cousin of mine used to buy only Dell ones. Every one of them had some hardware failure (USB ports, hard disk failures etc).
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
8IronBob

Well, we have two Acer laptops, the missus has a netbook (a small 8.9" with 160GB HDD, Intel Atom, and 1 GB RAM), and I have a 15.6" laptop with an Intel i5 460M, an nVidia 420M, 4GB DDR3, and a 120GB X25-M in place of the 500GB HDD, and Win 7 Pro x64 clean installed, and we have not had any problems with any of ours yet. Although I hardly use the Acer as much as my desktop, but at least it's there should I need to take my computing on the road and need to transfer anything from my desktop to a portable format.