Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Zaero
Laggy Bank Roll
Does anybody knows why is bank roll level so laggy?? It lags from the start, it's even hard to pass the trashcans! It's just like some slide show with 10 seconds intervals between pictures! I use HRP and SD mod but all the other levels I played since runs smoothly. I enabled sd mod ACME mess remover level 2 but it didn't do much.
I have Athlon 2600 (2.1 GHz), Radeon 9600 Pro, 1 GB DDR, Seagate Barracuda 120 GB.
Does anybody know whats goin on??
Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Mr.Fibbles

Re: Laggy Bank Roll
I don't have that issue with SD and HRP with the newest snapshot of EDuke32. I never drop below 20 FPS (only on occasion at that)
AMD Athlon 2000+ 512 DDR Nvidia 5700 LE 256
No idea what could be causing it except the ATI, just a guess at that.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
gt1750

I have the same issue there, the FPS drops to 0 and EDuke freezes so I have to kill the process. I have an ATI card, too and I use the newest snapshot.

"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D
"One day when I get rich and win the lottery I'll buy the rights to DNF and finish it myself." - Yatta
Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
TerminX

Sounds like bad code in the SD mod to me. He probably constantly spawns things from some sprite that is only ever used as a decorative sprite in that level.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Hawkeyefile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
Sounds like bad code in the SD mod to me. He probably constantly spawns things from some sprite that is only ever used as a decorative sprite in that level.
Gotta be because I have a geforce fx card.
My system specs are high enough to play quake 4 on ultra high, so I have to aggree with terminx
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Hendricks266
Is there any way to generate a list of the tilenums of all the sprites in a level and put it into a text file?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Hawkeyefile

try typing dndebug in eduke32. it spits out a number of files.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Mr.Fibbles

when I load it up as a user map it runs fine, little lag. But when I play through the episode, it lags up as you guys describe.
If that helps narrow down the problem.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Zaero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fibbles View Post
when I load it up as a user map it runs fine, little lag. But when I play through the episode, it lags up as you guys describe.
If that helps narrow down the problem.
I tried the user map load method - same result. Laggy as hell!

Also I tried runing eduke32 from exe not from shortcut (no additional resources) - didn't fix it. It looks like there is some problem with the fires in the begining of the map. Probably it creates huge ammount of particles for some reason, couse right after map load framerate is good then drops quickly.
Last edited by Zaero; 02-08-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
Hellbound

Hey, that bug I mentioned many many times and also many many times I tried to fix that. I thought that it could be because of fire, but after kill fire's code, that was still appearing. It has to have something to do with enemies because the lag doesn't exist on first skill. And I really have no idea what's so particular in Bank Roll because of what only this level is lagging.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Hey, that bug I mentioned many many times and also many many times I tried to fix that. I thought that it could be because of fire, but after kill fire's code, that was still appearing. It has to have something to do with enemies because the lag doesn't exist on first skill. And I really have no idea what's so particular in Bank Roll because of what only this level is lagging.
The problem occurs because of your EVENT_GAME code. You are spawning your new scrap actors and various other things based on conditions that are not strict enough. In Bank Roll, there is something going on at the building across the street from the bank involving tiles that you have spawning stuff, and it is going on before the player gets there. I did a quick fix to my own copy by adding an ifcansee condition to the whole event:

Code:
onevent EVENT_GAME

ifcansee // I added this
{

// slimer code
  getactor[THISACTOR].picnum acto
  ifvarg acto 2369
    ifvarl acto 2375
     {
      ifspritepal 1 spritepal 22
      ifnotmoving { } else { ifrnd 32 spawn SLIME }
     }
  ifvarg acto 1379
   ifvarl acto 1385
    { ifspritepal 0 { spawn NEWSPLASH spritepal 13 } cstat 32768  }
  ifvarg acto 1030
    ifvarl acto 1034
    {
      ifspritepal 1
      {
        getactor[THISACTOR].htpicnum act2
        ifvarg act2 2369
          ifvarl act2 2375
          {
            spritepal 0
            ifrnd 16
              spawn FJIBSPAWN
          }
      }
    }
   ifvarg acto 1225
    ifvarl acto 1227
      { ifspritepal 2 cstat 32768 else cstat 34 }
   ifvarg acto 1030
    ifvarl acto 1034
      { ifrnd 16 { spawn ****ED_WITH_A_KNIFE_GLASS setactor[THISACTOR].xrepeat 0 setactor

[THISACTOR].yrepeat 0 } }
   ifvarg acto 1959
    ifvarl acto 1974
     { ifstrength 70 { ifrnd 128 spawn FIRE_PARTICLE1 } iffloordistl 6 { spawn FIRE_SPAWNER2 debris 

SCRAP1 10 debris SCRAP2 20 } }
  // shell code

ifvarg acto 2532
   ifvarl acto 2535
     { ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { spawn NEWSHELL1 { ifrnd 128 sound SHELLSOUND1 else sound 

SHELLSOUND2 } spritepal 1 cstat 32768 } } }

ifvarg acto 2534
   ifvarl acto 2536
     { ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { spawn NEWSHELL2 { ifrnd 128 sound SSHELLSOUND1 else sound 

SSHELLSOUND2 } spritepal 1 cstat 32768 } } }

ifvarg acto 2389
   ifvarl acto 2399
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { sound METAL3 spawn NEWSCRAP6 

spritepal 1 cstat 32768 } } }

ifvarg acto 2399
   ifvarl acto 2404
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { sound METAL3 spawn NEWSCRAP1 

ifvarg acto 2403
   ifvarl acto 2408
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { sound METAL3 spawn NEWSCRAP2 

ifvarg acto 2407
   ifvarl acto 2412
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { spawn NEWSCRAP3 spritepal 1 cstat 

32768 } } }

ifvarg acto 2411
   ifvarl acto 2416
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { spawn NEWSCRAP4 spritepal 1 cstat 

32768 } } }

ifvarg acto 2415
   ifvarl acto 2419
     { ifcount 2 spawn NEWSMOKE ifspritepal 0 { iffloordistl 3 { spawn NEWSCRAP5 spritepal 1 cstat 

32768 } } }

}
endevent
EDIT: heh, 3DR's filter edited out one of your actor names *** so you will have to change that back before the code works.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-08-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Hawkeyefile

why don't you upload the entire .con file?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefile View Post
why don't you upload the entire .con file?
Very well, but keep in mind this is totally unofficial, and I don't even know if it is based on Hellbound's latest cons.

sd_game.rar

Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Zaero
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
Very well, but keep in mind this is totally unofficial, and I don't even know if it is based on Hellbound's latest cons.

Attachment 6598
Hmm.. This file really did something - created an error "Too many sprites spawned."!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaero View Post
Hmm.. This file really did something - created an error "Too many sprites spawned."!
Hmmm...well, putting that ifcansee condition around all of the code could prevent certain sprites from getting deleted. Try this:

sd_game.rar

If that doesn't work for you, it's probably because you are using a different version of sd_duke, and you'll just have to wait for Hellbound to release an update. The problem has been identified, and he should be able to fix it now.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
Zaero
I use sd mod 1.0. The file helped me slightly but still, level is unplayable.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
Hawkeyefile

works fine for me. and I use 1.0
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
Hellbound

But when there's ifcansee, some effect wouldn't work as I wanted to (for example slimer traces) :/ It's strange that's happening only in bank roll, there is nothing special in there :/
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
DeeperThought

Quote:
But when there's ifcansee, some effect wouldn't work as I wanted to (for example slimer traces) :/ It's strange that's happening only in bank roll, there is nothing special in there :/
Yeah, well it's just a quick fix that worked for me. You need a better permanent solution.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Hellbound

DOWNLOAD PATCH

Hails to Huner_Rus for fixing this bug!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Zaero
Ok...probably it sounds like I screw something but... "too many sprites spawned" error still occurs. The patching procedure is too simple to screw it so I'm sorry but I probably do everything right. Maybe I just wait for HRP 3.0 then try again..
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
Hunter_rus

Try this (full *.con).
Attached Files
File Type: rar SD_Duke_tmp.rar (25.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #23
Zaero
Yeah! I run the game, typed map e3l2 in the console. The patch really works! Looks like savegames really keeps it's own con files, so I didn't noticed changes at first. Oh, I almost forgot.. Thank you very much Hunter_rus! Gr8 work!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #24
killking
Sadly this Patch not works for me...
I start my Duke32 with the following Parameters:
/gduke3d_xtr.zip /gxtr_update203a.zip /gSD_DUKEv1.0.zip /geduke32_snapshot_20070223.zip /gSD_DUKE_tmp.rar /gmaphacks203.zip /gxxx_pack.zip

But it still lag when I enter Bank Roll.

PS: How does this e3l2 command work? I typed this in the console, but it doesn´t work.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #25
Hunter_rus

I think it is because *.rar. Beter rezip SD_Duke.zip

I advice to download full version SD_Duke v1.1 anyway http://www.uploadtemple.com/view.php/1171492428.zip
Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #26
TerminX

You aren't supposed to add the snapshot onto the command line, you're supposed to extract the contents into your directory and replace eduke32.exe.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
ciamaronn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
Hmmm...well, putting that ifcansee condition around all of the code could prevent certain sprites from getting deleted. Try this:

Attachment 6599

If that doesn't work for you, it's probably because you are using a different version of sd_duke, and you'll just have to wait for Hellbound to release an update. The problem has been identified, and he should be able to fix it now.
Hi, i'm from italy and i've experienced the same (very uneventful) bug. I've downloaded your file and resolved effectively the problem. Many thanx!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #28
DeeperThought

Wow, you revived a 3 year old thread because you are still using that old mod? You should try my DukePlus mod, it's much better.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
johnmartin
Unhappy Re: Laggy Bank Roll
Quote:
DOWNLOAD PATCH

Hails to Huner_Rus for fixing this bug!

Hey guys!
I know this topic is as old as silent movies, but could someone please upload this patch that fixed Bank Roll for most again? I'm having the same trouble, it gives me a 'too many sprites spawned error message' making the program crash back to desktop immediately as the level starts. I'd really appreciate it since mods as DukePlus don't work here!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
TerminX

If mods like DukePlus don't work there, you don't need the patch because a much older and unoptimized mod like SD Duke wouldn't run either.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #31
Alithinos
I think you might have an old system...

What's the graphics settings you play with ?

Have you moved the slider of the texture quality to maximum ?
Have you enabled anti-aliasing ?

Also something very important....

What Windows do you have ?

I play the game with texture quality at maximum and 4x antialiasing,16x anisotropic at 1064x768 and I got from 165 to 20 frames.

Usually they are more than 90,but sometimes it drops below 30 and the game freezes for a sec.

I have Intel Dual Core E1500 (2.2Ghz) 2gb ram,ati 4850.
I can play crysis with that.
Last edited by Alithinos; 07-16-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #32
johnmartin
hello! thanks guys for offering help! I think i might have expressed myself wrong there, it's not even that DukePlus mode doesn't work. It's I have no idea how i should unpack it hahah. I tried doing it in the folder of the High Res pack with the other game files, but it gives me errors. Like .cfg files missing. Thing is the game runs fully perfectly in the high resolution pack. Got everything in the highest option possible, and the one and only problem comes in the 'Bank Roll' level, wich is the 'too many sprites spawned' warning, and then the immediate crash to desktop. That's why i thought it'd be a good idea to just work with the patch since it helped others! I'm running Windows 7 Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz. 4,0GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Last edited by johnmartin; 08-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #33
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmartin View Post
hello! thanks guys for offering help! I think i might have expressed myself wrong there, it's not even that DukePlus mode doesn't work. It's I have no idea how i should unpack it hahah. I tried doing it in the folder of the High Res pack with the other game files, but it gives me errors. Like .cfg files missing. Thing is the game runs fully perfectly in the high resolution pack. Got everything in the highest option possible, and the one and only problem comes in the 'Bank Roll' level, wich is the 'too many sprites spawned' warning, and then the immediate crash to desktop. That's why i thought it'd be a good idea to just work with the patch since it helped others! I'm running Windows 7 Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz. 4,0GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
I'm the author of DukePlus and it works fine with Bank Roll, all other 3DR maps, and the HRP. Make sure you have the latest version, do a clean install following the simple instruction that come with DukePlus (not that a clean install is strictly necessary, but it eliminates the possibility of doing stupid things like having conflicting mods and other crap in your folder) and it should work fine. If your copy of DukePlus came with the HRP, I would strongly recommend that you not use it, and download a new version from the link in my sig instead.

My guess is that your Duke folder is a mess. There was an old version of SD_Duke that had that "too many sprites" error on that map, but DukePlus has never had that problem. Most likely, you are actually using SD_Duke because you left it in your folder and it is loading instead of DukePlus.

You seem confused, so here is how to do a clean install:

Extract the contents of DUKEPLUS.RAR into a folder that contains nothing but an Atomic Edition copy of the file “DUKE3D.GRP”. Double-click on the included dukeplus.bat to start a game with DukePlus. If you want to use the HRP, make a folder named "autoload" and put the HRP into it, then make sure the "use autoload" folder is checked when you launch EDuke32 using the .bat