3D Realms Anthology

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms Anthology
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Stumbling Through the 3D Realms Anthology
Late in 2014, we published the 3D Realms Anthology, a collection of 30+ of our classic games from the past, and it has been very well received. An updated Anthology was published to Steam later on, and with it came three more games. Much of the feedback we've received about the Anthology is that it has allowed people to relive games they remember playing when they were younger, and revisiting some classics that they loved.

One fan of the old Apogee titles in our legacy is David Newton. David has a Youtube channel where he talks about various games, and he recently concluded an entire series on the 3D Realms Anthology. In it, David gives his thoughts on every game in the Anthology, as well as a few that were not in there. David was very thorough in his research, and got a lot of fiddly bits and facts correct that a lot of people don't usually pick up on.

We very much enjoyed this series of videos, and we hope that you will too. They're all embedded below, so make sure and check them out. Major props to David for these videos! There are seven in all, broken down by years. Here is a list of all the videos:
  • 1987-1990: Kroz, Pharoh's Tomb, Arctic Adventure, Monuments of Mars, Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons
  • 1991: Dark Ages, Duke Nukem I, Paganitzu, Jumpman Lives!, Crystal Caves, Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy!
  • 1992: Secret Agent, Word Rescue, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Math Rescue
  • 1993: Major Stryker, Monster Bash, Bio Menace, Halloween Harry, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Duke Nukem II
  • 1994: Raptor, Hocus Pocus, Mystic Towers, Wacky Wheels, Planet Strike, Boppin', Rise of the Triad
  • 1995-1996: Terminal Velocity, Realms of Chaos, Duke Nukem 3D, Xenophage, Death Rally, Stargunner
  • 1997-: Steam Anthology, Shadow Warrior, Balls of Steel, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, Overall Summary
The Overall summary on the final video wraps up a few thoughts about the series in general, and also touches on some related titles like the 2013 remake of Rise of the Triad, the 2013 remake of Shadow Warrior, as well as Blood, the PS1/N64 Duke console titles, Max Payne, Prey, Duke Nukem Forever, and finally finishing up with a nod to the forthcoming Bombshell!

In all, the video series comprises a total screen time of two hours and thirty five minutes. It is a lot to get through, but if you're a fan of the games in the 3D Realms Anthology, or just are a fan of 3D Realms in general, these videos are well worth your time to watch.

We've embedded all seven of them below for you to enjoy!

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Xantheous

Re: Stumbling Through the 3D Realms Anthology
A great video series! Kudos to David Newton for creating such detailed videos. He sure can talk at breakneck speeds!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Frenkel

I learned some new stuff watching these videos. Like stuff about the music of Blake Stone.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Alyxx

I agree with him, it's surprising the Kroz games aren't in the Anthology...
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
The Dukenator

I noticed that the Kroz games weresn't listed, but it might've been done that way on purpose. Not sure if they were actually discontinued in 1999, as they were made freeware in 2009. Didn't know that it was 7 episodes and a 8th was canceled.

The anthology was mostly of 3D Realms best games, similar to Rare's Rare Replay.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #6
Alyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
I noticed that the Kroz games weresn't listed, but it might've been done that way on purpose. Not sure if they were actually discontinued in 1999, as they were made freeware in 2009. Didn't know that it was 7 episodes and a 8th was canceled.

The anthology was mostly of 3D Realms best games, similar to Rare's Rare Replay.
Yeah, but considering Kroz was the origin of Apogee's success, it just seemed strange.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
Yeah, but considering Kroz was the origin of Apogee's success, it just seemed strange.
http://legacy.3drealms.com/history.html - claims Kroz was the birth of Apogee.

And years later, the game becomes freeware. I played it a bit on the tandy computer years ago.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I released Kroz as freeware on Mar 20, 2009, and included the source code.

http://legacy.3drealms.com/history.html

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16