Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Kev_Hectic

Arrow Need some advice: Comparing motherboards...
Ok, so I am looking for a decent motherboard for an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (3.2GHz socket: AM3), and I have narrowed it down to these two candidates:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128435

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...2E16813131633&

Both motherboards are identical in price and have similar specs (with a few minor differences), though I am sort of leaning towards the Gigabyte board because it has 2 USB 3.0 connections. Are either one of these worth getting? Or could you guys recommend me something better in a similar price range? (under $200.00 Canadian)
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
KO Gilligan

Re: Need some advice: Comparing motherboards...
The Gigabyte

Solid Japanese capacitors, heavy duty board construction, Dual Bios, and a bunch of other features. I've got a cheap one and it's unbelievably nice.

Back in the day, I'd take the ASUS everytime. Not anymore. In fact some of the ASUS boards are rather crappy.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
NutWrench

The GA-890 looks like it gives you full speed (16x) on all the PCIe slots as opposed to 8x on the other board.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Phayzon

That Gigabyte looks very similar to a board I used to build a friend's machine. I've always sworn by ASUS, but I know from experience that GB is a solid board. I'd go with that
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Kev_Hectic

so a unanimous vote for the Gigabyte motherboard then? Well OK. After comparing both closer, the GA-89 should have probably been the obvious choice. Though, I guess I did overlook the PCIe slot speeds... which would be another strike against the Asus board. Also, the shipping for for the GA-89 is a few dollars cheaper... small bonus there too.

I have had two Gigabyte motherboards in the past and both were very solid, though one of them did blow a couple capacitors... but still managed to work regardless. I can't say that I have ever owned an ASUS Motherboard, so I am very uncertain about the build quality in comparison. So it's nice to get some impressions from people who owned both.

Anyway thanks a lot for the input, guys.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_Hectic View Post
Though, I guess I did overlook the PCIe slot speeds... which would be another strike against the Asus board.
Both are 2.0 x16 or x8,x8 in Crossfire though.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
The Gigabyte

Solid Japanese capacitors, heavy duty board construction, Dual Bios, and a bunch of other features. I've got a cheap one and it's unbelievably nice.

Back in the day, I'd take the ASUS everytime. Not anymore. In fact some of the ASUS boards are rather crappy.
True dat, owned a Gigabyte 790GX mobo since Windows 7 launched, and hasn't had one bit of trouble yet, and I have the same CPU as the OP has, so one can probably bet that the 890GX would be just as good of a mobo, if not better. Probably the same overclockability, and features, and what not.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Nessus

I had a problem with as ASUS board and got a Gigabyte and it's performed top notch, I'd buy another. Good BIOS options and very fine control for overclockers with features like revert to last setting if it wont boot.