Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
poo_al
Max Payne for English Assignment
I need your help.

In English class, we need to bring one example of the human spirit or the human condition into class from various media.

Being the Max Payne fan that I am ( [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ), I decided to grab a quote from one of the game's graphic novels and bring it to class.

Here is what I'm looking for: a statement that says something about the human spirit (philosophy of human nature) or a statement that says something about the nature of the universe (whether it was designed for our suffering/success/indifferent).

I know that you guys can come up with tons of examples because there are quite a few philosophy buffs that hang around here. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I thought of one on the crapper just now, when Max is outside of Punchinello's mansion and says how "It's not about how good or smart you are. It's chaos and dumb luck, and anyone who though different was a fool. All you could do was to hold on madly, for as long and as hard as you could."

I forget the exact line (I screwed it up somewhere I think), but you get the idea. He's saying that the universe is indifferent to our actions, and that things are all random.

I know that there are tons of statements like that in Max Payne, so post whatever comes to mind!
Old 04-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Simon Charles

Re: Max Payne for English Assignment
Nothing's a cliché when it's happening to you.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 04-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Forrest
"I don't know about angles, but it's fear that gives men wings."
Old 04-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Darkreaver
"He was one of those bad guys with honor and morals which almost made him one of the good guys. None of us was a saint."

I removed Vladimir's name so it would sound better.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
Joker
"An eye for an eye, the first principle of revenge, old as dirt, still going strong."