Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Shadow Warrior Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
dukay
Adding more music to soundtrack
hi all,
Since SW includes only a dozen or so tracks I'm busy looking for extra funky oriental tunes to add to my own custom SW soundtrack to play with when the next Jfsw with ogg support is released.

Can anyone suggest some good extra music that would fit in with the theme of the existing tracks that I could get?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
hitman71

Re: Adding more music to soundtrack
Tomoyasu Hotei for electro rock punk. Made in Japan
Old 11-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
GOK

Anything by the Yoshida Brothers - oddly enough, see/hear them at http://www.yoshidabrothers.com/

Also check http://www.domo.com/ for releases from other Japanese artists - there are many short clips to download.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Martin Howe

Question Re: Adding more music to soundtrack
Now that JFSW and SWP can have custom MIDI tracks, (swcustom.txt), does anybody know of a good source of MIDI music files in the style of those of SW? As a Motörheadbanger and HawkFan, I wouldn't even know what that style of music is called

While on the subject, ProAsm's example SWCUSTOM file in the PlayWang distribution names several tracks, are these real tracks? If so, from where can they be obtained?

Code:
    song     "yokoha03.mid"
    song     "nippon34.mid"
    song     "execut11.mid"
    song     "sanai.mid"
    song     "kotec2.mid"
    song     "kotoki12.mid"
    song     "hoshia02.mid"
    song     "sanai.mid"
Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #5
TerminX

Maybe those are the filenames for the midis from the shareware version of SW.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Martin Howe

OK, I've got a little more info here, straight from the source code. The names listed above and in the sample SWCUSTOM file are apparently the names of the MIDI tracks that were originally planned for the full-version of Shadow Warrior before the decision was taken to use CD music instead.

For reference, here is an extract of one of the GOODIES/MIDI folder readme files, augmented with the level names. This folder appears on the full-version CD, of course. The MIDI names were the same as the level names inside the shareware .GRP file, but the table below also lists their "real" names, according to 3DR.

Code:
Shareware Version MIDIs (With Level Names)
==========================================

LEVEL    FILENAME        TITLE
-----    --------        -----
TITLE    OKINOWWA.MID    Okinoww!a (Shadow Warrior Theme Song)
E1L01    EVRYOFF.MID     Everybody OFF!!!
E1L02    MORSE.MID       Morse Kodo
E1L03    254MM.MID       254 mm.
E1L04    A10TION.MID     Attention
My original request still stands; it'd be nice to find a set of suitably modern faux-oriental MIDI tracks to flesh out the set. Any suggestions for MIDI tracks, anybody? The SW CD music is nice to listen to as standalone CD music; however, for my taste, CD music just doesn't "go" with games.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Martin Howe

OK, at last I managed to compile a JFSW version that plays MIDI tracks in Full-Version mode; it's full of holes because of things like special CD music played when Zilla is found - these I don't fully understand yet - but at least it proves the concept. Still needed are some decent MIDI tracks to make up the set, but what the heck, it's a start
Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
dukay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Howe View Post
OK, at last I managed to compile a JFSW version that plays MIDI tracks in Full-Version mode; it's full of holes because of things like special CD music played when Zilla is found - these I don't fully understand yet - but at least it proves the concept. Still needed are some decent MIDI tracks to make up the set, but what the heck, it's a start

Cool can you post this version. I would like to try it.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
Martin Howe

Sure! Here ya go: source archive (text file); compiled executable (text file).

Please remember that this is a hack; I don't know enough about multimedia to make it include CD music as an option (my career has all been centred around data processing, not flashy gimmicks ), so I just removed all CD music references and functionality completely.

I dislike CD music in games anyway, so I don't care; however, some people might like it. Hopefully, the next "big" release of JFSW will do this.