Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
GoodAndyBadPizza

Please Update me on CPU, Video, etc?
I haven't kept up on cpu's, m.o.'s, video cards, ram in a while & am hoping some of you may update me some.

What's are the cpu's since intel duo core. If you could update me on the steps up to present would help, basically what different upgrade processors have come out since from Intel & AMD, etc. Also I don't know what those 'atom,' & such processors are for & about.

I would like to know the evolution of RAM since I guess ddr2 pc3200, etc.

Also, especially on video cards. Since Nvidia 7900 series.

And Motherboards, what major advancements?
-----------------------------
And last what's the BEST economy level for a good system, can play latest games, etc. ...what are the base level items for cpu, m.o., ram, video card?

I hope some will be interested in sharing their knowledge on this, thanks!

AIRFIX DOGFIGHTER Server List & Links:

http://www.kamikazfu.co.uk/servers.php?shortlist=1
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Jeff

Re: Please Update me on CPU, Video, etc?
This chart should give you an idea of what Intel has to offer. I don't know much about AMD's stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Kristian Joensen

Here is a basic overview of Nvidia's GPU generations, but basically the 7900s were the last DX9 gpu's. The 8000, 9000, 100, 200 and 300 series were DX10 GPU's and the 400 and 500 series are DX 11 GPUs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce#Generations

Here is a similar overview for ATI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#...or_generations (The Wii U is said to use a customized R700 part)

The laptop I am writing this on has a Geforce GT 555m, which is pretty decent for gaming (As far as laptops go anyway). As far as what to get well, do you have any preference if you want to go with AMD/ATI or Nvidia? If you like me won't touch any ATI card then you have a smaller list ot choose from. The same if you won't touch an Nvidia product. If you want have a DX11 part then you can exclude anything earlier than the Nvidia GT 400 series or the AMD/ATI HD 2000 series. Are there any particular games you are wanting to play? You could look up the recommended specs for them and look at benchmarks done using them.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Jeff

As for motherboards, I remember the North Bridge has been replaced by something called Quick Path Interconnect (Intel). AMD has something called HyperTransport, which might be similar since it's measured in GB/s like Intel's variation.

All video cards are based off of PCI-e. AGP has been dead for some time now. Even sound cards and network cards run off of PCI-e (add-on cards, not on the motherboard). I think we're up to PCI-e 2.0, although Intel's socket 2011 will have PCI-e 3.0 on it.

Recent motherboards also have SATA 3 (6 Gbps, some people call it SATA 6G instead of SATA version 3, even though it's still the third revision of the SATA spec), as well as the socket 1155 boards have USB 3.0 (1 Gbps I believe).

I'm sorry if I don't know much about AMD, because I haven't owned one since 2004.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
GoodAndyBadPizza

Thanks alot for the help so far.

I'm not up on customer feedback, but some have seen made me think maybe I should choose Nvidia on the video card. Really have no preference on hardware except just the best bang for the buck, in other words the cheapest that does the job just fine w/out any need for overkill or brand name, etc.

I have been wondering about the PCI-Express as 1st came out says 16x, but since been looking again have been concerned on seeing the 2.0 PciEx label not knowing for sure IF had to have that type slot on a motherboard OR if were interchangeable somewhat but maybe w/affecting performance...like usb being backward compatible. I was thinking pci-express 2.0 probably wasn't compatible w/ just pci-e 16x?

I'd like to know what a good budget gaming system would be on CPU, VIDEO CARD, & I guess M.O. & RAM type. It doesn't have to do high res, but just be able to play the games w/out lag...& I guess including any of latest & most demanding games.

For 1st time hooked pc up to a flat panel tv w/s-video & worked automatically. This was w/out using it's LCD monitor. This is on the Nvidia 7900GS video card which has 2 DVI & 1 S-Video outputs. The other day took back to monitor & hooked it back up to it, which is w/a DVI-VGA adaptor as VGA is what fits the monitor cable.

Problem is it posts & shows logo screen & all until it loads win xp pro & then just blacks out & says NO RGB SIGNAL. I hear windows operating just fine, but everything tried so far does this same thing. I tried to a CRT Monitor & does same thing. I'm hoping is just software related & not something all of a sudden wrong w/video card.

I took pc back in other room & hooked back up to tv w/s-video & works still. The resolution though is hard to read stuff so haven't tried to research any nview stuff.
Have to use library for internet right now, open 3 days a week. Haven't found a direct discussion of this problem question yet.

It may be something very simple, on just a setting adjustment. Let me know if anyone here knows how to 'fix.' Thanks

AIRFIX DOGFIGHTER Server List & Links:

http://www.kamikazfu.co.uk/servers.php?shortlist=1