Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
George Broussard

Ranked Dukematch maps
We have the ability to update the parameters of Ranked Matches for Dukematch. We can alter the map list (using any map from single player), the kills and the time, per map, per one on one or free for all, in Ranked Matches.

After playing a week, what changes would you like to see? New maps?

Alterations to kill/time counts? Let us know. We'll be listening.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
alexgk

Re: Ranked Dukematch maps
More players on Duke Burger! PLEASE!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
StixnStonz

I think we can all agree on new maps.

I would love a higher killcount on some levels. Sometimes I am in the mood to play the same match for a while and it ends too soon. Since we aren't penalized for leaving early (which I think is great), if someone hops in a room and doesnt want the 30 minute 100 kill limit, they can leave and rejoin another room.

Also, maybe sometimes have "guns only" or some similar playtypes to switch up the skill level. I am guilty and many are too, but I feel like sometimes its a race to see who can whore out the RPG the fastest.

That and a DLC pack of extra maps =) =) =) I swear, I limit myself when playing campaign because I don't want to run out of maps =(
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Syph

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
I would say that more for hollywood holocaust. Too often you spawn way away from the action.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
hammer oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
definatly since it is my favourite dukematch level plus its the only level so far that has the expander

also would we be able to add any close quarter matches such as lunar reactor or Tiberius station i always like some deathmatches when i can get up close and personnal
Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
snip3d
Every FFA should go to 25.

Also, I may be a bit crazy for asking, but is it possible to put infinite pistol ammo?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3d View Post
Every FFA should go to 25.

Also, I may be a bit crazy for asking, but is it possible to put infinite pistol ammo?
That would be stupid as hell. Although I hate running out of pistol ammo and going to the boot, it would take the pistol from being the most useful gun in the game to the most unfair gun of all time and really make it so the other guns would almost never be used.

On another note, Fahrenheit needs to be added to the playlist.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syph View Post
I would say that more for hollywood holocaust. Too often you spawn way away from the action.
You must not have been in on the 8 player Hollywood Holocausts... It can be nuts when you all spawn in the actual movie room.

The only non-linear relatively close nit zones would be Faces of Death and Raw Meat. Whether or not they should be added is a debate for everyone to speak of.

Fahrenheit was a good one.
Last edited by pjohnsonjr; 10-01-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
danny88
Cool Re: Ranked Dukematch maps
Aside from the fact that there should definitely be more maps on the list, I get a lot of complaints about Spin Cycle and Stadium. In my experience [I've played a lot of Duke on Live], nobody has really liked Spin Cycle. Stadium is okay for one on one, but for free for all it just seems like a huge pistol fest. Fahrenheit should definitely be on the one on one list. The rest seem fine. Hollywood Holocaust is simply awesome, as is L. A. Rumble.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

You will never be able to come with a list that everyone likes 100% of the maps and no changes are needed. Spin Cycle was played a heck of a lot by testers before release.

Plus I own on it.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny88 View Post
Aside from the fact that there should definitely be more maps on the list, I get a lot of complaints about Spin Cycle and Stadium. In my experience [I've played a lot of Duke on Live], nobody has really liked Spin Cycle. Stadium is okay for one on one, but for free for all it just seems like a huge pistol fest. Fahrenheit should definitely be on the one on one list. The rest seem fine. Hollywood Holocaust is simply awesome, as is L. A. Rumble.
What are you talking about? While the yokels are in the corner pistol kicking each other to death, a well placed RPG = a plethora of kills.

Stadium is a pit. It works, and it's chaotic with 8 people. Yes pistols are good in that location, but I use it until I get something better. I almost never use shotgun. Too much recoil time.

I like Spin Cycle, it's just too large for 4 people, which is all I get stuck with when I play that map.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Too large for 4? I play it regularly with 2, and no way is it too big. You aren't playing it right if it's too big, IMO.

Speaking of a pit, LA Rumble is a pit, too.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Too large for 4? I play it regularly with 2, and no way is it too big. You aren't playing it right if it's too big, IMO.

I stay in the spin, I do pretty well there. I just think 8 would make it a bedlam.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
MegaMustaine

Quote:
LA Rumble isn't a pit, it just turns into one. The level is much bigger than what actually gets used, but people just fight right in front of the east town towers. Just the way I like it too.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
LA Rumble isn't a pit, it just turns into one. The level is much bigger than what actually gets used, but people just fight right in front of the east town towers. Just the way I like it too.
That one gets downright nuts. because everyone stays in that area where people spawn.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
N1warhead
I LIKE THAT SUBWAY MAP, or what ever it's called. Ummm Rapid Transit?

That's an awesome map for MP, me and like 7 other guys played that map hours upon hours last night, it was soooo much fun and lots of action.

Had it to 25 kills and no time limit and lasted around 13 mins per match.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnsonjr View Post
That one gets downright nuts. because everyone stays in that area where people spawn.
Yeah, people do I just fly up and give them all some RPG treatment
Old 10-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #18
Sharpie

On the topic of ranked dukematch. Is it possible to add a new mode to the playlist? Free for all and one on one are great but i would love to see a team deathmatch mode is well.

On the the map side of things i would just love to see a bit more variety. I think it has gone great so far and LA Rumble is easily my favourite map.

I really cant complain on much as 3DR has done a great job. I hope to see some surprises in the future when it comes to deathmatch though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFct6lg0Vmo <<<< Watch for a laugh
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #19
danny88
Cool Duh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnsonjr View Post
What are you talking about? While the yokels are in the corner pistol kicking each other to death, a well placed RPG = a plethora of kills.

Stadium is a pit. It works, and it's chaotic with 8 people. Yes pistols are good in that location, but I use it until I get something better. I almost never use shotgun. Too much recoil time.

I like Spin Cycle, it's just too large for 4 people, which is all I get stuck with when I play that map.
What does it look like I'm talking about? I'm giving my input, like George asked. It's simply too chaotic to throw a 'well placed RPG' without anything but blind luck, especially with the lag. I wouldn't even mention it, but I know I'm not the only one on Live who thinks this. I'm going mainly on what other people are saying.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah, people do I just fly up and give them all some RPG treatment
No you don't. You're the jumping bean. You don't fly anywhere, you just jump.

/me makes note to take away jump capability for Steve's UserID if we do an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
On the topic of ranked dukematch. Is it possible to add a new mode to the playlist? Free for all and one on one are great but i would love to see a team deathmatch mode is well.
That would require rewriting the game to add it. Changing the playlist is essentially us changing a text file that resides on MS servers. What you're asking for is a rewrite of game code, would require full testing all over again, and resubmission for certification.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just that what you're asking for isn't as easy as you appear to think it would be.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
AnotherJoe
Love Re: Ranked Dukematch maps
My 2 cents:

Maps:
  1. Spin Cycle - all matches I've played on this map, everyone ends up leaving cause the map is too big and boring. Maybe increasing the player count would mean finding someone more often? (I would really prefer this map to be removed but...)
  2. Stadium - Don't quite understand this map being in ranked matches, I just hold down the fire button and consistantly win the game with a score like 25/9. I can't really see anyone arguing that skill is required on this map.
  3. LA Rumble - Somewhat like stadium, usually ends very quickly with random shootingfest in the main area until someone hits 20 kills. I think this map would actually be better with less players (4-6) so you actually try some sort of strategy. I've seen people attempt "strategy" by using a jetpack and shooting rockets from above etc. but its actually more effective to just stay on the bottom level and randomly fire to get more kills.
  4. Holywood Holocaust - best map ever, 4 and 8 player matches are great
  5. Red Light District - amazing, 4 and 8 player matches are great
  6. Movie Set - good map, keep this at 4, its perfect
  7. If there are other maps then these listed above, I have never seen them in rotation.

Fraglimit:
- Make all maps 25

ALSO, I'm 200/200 so I've played online quite a bit and I've never had a Ranked Match on Dukeburger, is that map actually available as a Ranked Match??
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
Tehis

Please move all maps from 4 player to 8. Playing with 4 player is veeeery boring and you have to wait ages to kill someone. (Veeeeery boring maps with 4 player duke burger and freeway)

Second reason is that if you want really kick ass, you mostlikely to end up in boring 4 player game.

Usually u can't even play the game to the end, if there's no time limit.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #23
m4dmax

can we add rapid transit as a dukematch level? I think that would be fun with 8 people.

I also like maps with more than 4 people.. lately people seem to leave in the middle if they are getting owned by other people leaving it a 1v1.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #24
N1warhead
Okay I got something that can essentially fix everything.

Just change maps every week or two to different maps, that way it never stays the same and eventually somebody gets the map they like.

I mean that would make a lot of sense, just change them every week or two then well it gets different if you know what I mean.

Not just add maps, just keep the same amount you have now, just change them to different maps, you get what I mean?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

AnotherJoe..

Yes, Duke Burger is in there. I get it a lot - it's my favorite level in the entire game.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
AnotherJoe
Quote:
AnotherJoe..

Yes, Duke Burger is in there. I get it a lot - it's my favorite level in the entire game.
Yes, I finally got it today, it was a really good layout for Dukematch!

I'm closing in on 1000 kills online and still I've only played that map once, I'm guessing the ranked map selection is random, or does each map have a weighted "community favorite" value?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #27
Steve

Goofy Re: Ranked Dukematch maps
Quote:
No you don't. You're the jumping bean. You don't fly anywhere, you just jump.

/me makes note to take away jump capability for Steve's UserID if we do an update.
Jumping is the true source of my Dukematch powers

/jumps around and does a jig on LA Rumble rooftops
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #28
Phase II

Like a lot of people have said 8 player matches are more fun than 4 player matches(at least on most maps) that would make it more fun IMO
Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 AM   #29
Steve

I don't mind how many players are in a match. I'm happy just to play
Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
General Kitsune
for anyone that might not know the cycle currently, this is it:

8 Players:
Stadium
Hollywood Holocaust
L.A. Rumble

4 Players:
Movie Set
Hollywood Holocaust
Duke Burger
Spin Cycle
Red Light District
Freeway

Anywho, I guess I got a few suggestions that could be worthwhile to the duke universe. For starters I actually got into a 4 player Stadium (it started with only 4 people in the room) and thought it actually was a bit funner, it was actually worth while to scavenge for guns when you still had a loaded pistol (mind you, most people don't seem to realize there's a simple trick to winning 8 player Stadium lol )

I kindive agree that Spin Cycle could use 6-8 players instead of 4, for such a tiny map it can be a burden trying to find people, same goes with Duke Burger like others have suggested.

Some area's of LA Rumble might get more use with a lower amount of people, I've only seen a few matchs were people duke it out up in the higher levels due to the fact it's faster to get kill counts up in the streets below.

Movie set is fine, just not enough people explore (I think I've only faced one person that knew where the shrink gun and freeze guns were >.>), and thus it gets easy because I abuse these secrets (Also the lack of people that understand the use of steroids >.>). But that's not 3dr's issue, that's just people not taking the time to understand the game lol. (same with holy wood holocaust to an extent)

as for new maps rapid transit might make a good addition, it's farely small, and the suicide rate would probably get a bit high to an extent lol.

any map with a circular type map style or simple will probably be fine. Give me some time and I'll look into what could possible make good duke fest maps heh..

First Edit: possible map choices off the top of my head (and after running through some maps) would be Hotel Hell 4-6 players, Raw Meat 4-8 players, Bank Roll might be a possibility. Fahrenheit 2-4 players is a good possibility imo.

I just tried Tier Drops, that level has a very unique feel to it that would definitely work with 4-6 players. heh
Last edited by General Kitsune; 10-03-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #31
youstolemykill
Having a 8 player Dukeburger option is all that really sticks out to me at the moment.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #32
Mr.Show
I was saddened to see that Fahrenheit and Hotel Hell wasn't on the list for ranked maps. Although they aren't as popular as LA Rumble or Stadium I'd like to see them on the list

I've also noticed that it updates the types of multiplayer games you can play, One on One and Free for All. Does this mean other modes can possibly be added like Team Duke Match, or maybe a survivor mode where people only get a set amount of lives? Although thinking about it if people played a survival mode it could be a mix of people just constantly hiding, to people that actually play, so that would be sort of hard to balance out.
Last edited by Mr.Show; 10-03-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #33
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Show View Post
I was saddened to see that Fahrenheit and Hotel Hell wasn't on the list for ranked maps. Although they aren't as popular as LA Rumble or Stadium I'd like to see them on the list
I was a little surprised at Hotel Hell not being on the ranked map list, yes. That level is pure Dukematch gold.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #34
Phase II

Quote:
I was a little surprised at Hotel Hell not being on the ranked map list, yes. That level is pure Dukematch gold.
I just noticed that hotel hell isn't in there that would be fun as a ranked map
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #35
DiM
My favorite map to play is Hotel Hell, usually 1 on 1, but is great up to 4 players.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #36
John Killer118

I want "Shop n' Bag!" I love that level!
Also, the Frag Limit should always be 25 with 10 minutes of play.
(Sorry if I'm sounding like a prick.)
Also, is the expander in multilayer?
Edit: Oh, and that one Disneyland place from Episode 4!
Last edited by John Killer118; 10-08-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Killer118 View Post
I want "Shop n' Bag!" I love that level!
Also, the Frag Limit should always be 25 with 10 minutes of play.
(Sorry if I'm sounding like a prick.)
Also, is the expander in multilayer?
You don't sound like a prick Yes, the expander is in multiplayer
Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #38
John Killer118

Quote:
You don't sound like a prick Yes, the expander is in multiplayer
I meant I was sounding like "I want this, give me that!" So to balance it out, I made fun of myself abit.
What maps are the expander on?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #39
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Killer118 View Post
I meant I was sounding like "I want this, give me that!" So to balance it out, I made fun of myself abit.
What maps are the expander on?
Duke burger since it's the only Atomic edition map in the ranked maps list.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #40
INTillerMaN
Fahrenheit and Launch Facility were both played ALOT in one on one dukematches back in the day between top players, Bankroll and Hotel Hell were also played occasionally. That is about all that is missing that I remember that we used to play a lot.

I'd really like to see a new setting like I said before that shows a leaderboard with Kill/Death ratio rather than #1 player just being the player who plays the most. =(

Best wishes
Iain
Last edited by INTillerMaN; 10-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.