Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
NUKEMDAVE

Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Zero Hour Re-Releases?
If anyone has been watching Duke4.net's forums, Frederik teased what appeared to be the source code for Duke Nukem: Time to Kill not too long ago on there. And now there's even more confirmation that something is definitely happening with the game and even Land of the Babes and Zero Hour:

It'll be interesting to see what happens! I hope at the bare minimum, the controls of the games are improved and hopefully an optional first-person view mode can be added. It would make replaying the games even more fun!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
K100

Re: Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Zero Hour Re-Releases?
Great ! I hope it's a rerelease on PC.

In the picture I've posted of the 3D Realms Anthology, it look like Duke is standing on one of the aliens from TTK, maybe those games will be included in it.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Zero Hour is the only one I'd be interested in. It is beyond awesome in every way.

Time to Kill is... okay, but Land of the Babes was just... terrible.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
dan2091

PC release of all of them would be sweet. For me, a Zero Hour release would hold more weight because I don't own a Nintendo 64 anymore, but to see all Duke games released under the 3D Realms and Apogee banner finally get a PC release... man, go ahead, make my day.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I still have my N64 and PS2 hooked up.
So I have the means to replay all of them whenever. But, a PC release would be great. As it would be the way I would prefer to play them.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
KO Gilligan

google play store please
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Time to Kill is... okay, but Land of the Babes was just... terrible.
I never cared for any of them, tbh. I mean it was cool to expand the franchise onto other platforms, but I wish the games were better.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Agreed.
Manhattan Project and Zero Hour were my favorite third party titles. I really love them.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
Wesker500

Would hope for a HD remaster or something if they're allowed, mod tools and level creator would be slick if possible.

Also if a modder can, please change my username to xMobilemux, haven't used this account in ages.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Nukkus

I would definitely love to play through updated versions of these. Especially considering the console controls weren't the hottest.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
The Duke Returns

What I like to know if there is going to be anything new added to them like online coop/dm, I would like to do is snipe my friend MrRumbleRoses from across the map get Revenge on him for what he did to me
Last edited by The Duke Returns; 10-15-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
DirtyFexen
This would be absolutely rockin', would be amazing to see the console Duke Nukem titles come to PC with some updated options for anti-aliasing and other graphical enhancements to make the most of the games.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Commando Nukem

This is one of those "I wouldn't hold your breath" scenarios I think, and I mean no offense to Fred or any of his people on that, but it is absolutely the truth.

Duke's recent history is shall we say... rocky, at best. So who knows what kind of really stupid stuff could come down the pipe to rain on our parade. I hope not, because, as JSJ himself said in a FB post not long ago, all that crap is keeping the king from taking his thrown.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
DirtyFexen
They own the rights to everything before Duke Nukem Forever, have shown that they have the source code for the titles on Duke4.net and have said that they have plans to do stuff with the games so you can't say it'll never happen.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7266-t...ost__p__189079

Last edited by DirtyFexen; 10-23-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyFexen View Post
They own the rights to everything before Duke Nukem Forever, have shown that they have the source code for the titles on Duke4.net and have said that they have plans to do stuff with the games so you can't say it'll never happen.
Yes, I absolutely can, based on the experiences of a decade of history here. I've seen all kinds of things come up and then go back down again. I'm being a realist here. Plans could very easily change. We just don't know what the future will hold.

Just because they claim something, and even likely are entirely honest in those claims, it doesn't mean, say, Gearbox or Take 2, or someone else, won't turn around and claim something opposite. Legal battles are confusing and uncertain animals i've come to find. Which is why I say don't get your hopes up until we actually see some very firm evidence that it's actually going to happen.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
Yes, I absolutely can, based on the experiences of a decade of history here. I've seen all kinds of things come up and then go back down again. I'm being a realist here. Plans could very easily change. We just don't know what the future will hold.

Just because they claim something, and even likely are entirely honest in those claims, it doesn't mean, say, Gearbox or Take 2, or someone else, won't turn around and claim something opposite. Legal battles are confusing and uncertain animals i've come to find. Which is why I say don't get your hopes up until we actually see some very firm evidence that it's actually going to happen.
Commando had a very wordy version of "When it's Done" there.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
Player Lin
I do only care when it actually happens.

XD
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
DirtyFexen
It could happen given they've got everything they need just sitting there on a hard drive, the only thing that could be a potential roadblock is the on-going lawsuit with Gearbox Software which hopefully gets resolved soon.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Commando Nukem

That's not exactly an "oh by the way" kind of thing. That's actually a rather big thing. Just look at the situation with Bombshell. Even after speaking with Fred about it, I still don't fully understand what went on with that, and I wager I probably never will.

See the only thing that concerns me is that i've heard somewhere that the rights to do any kind of remakes or HD enhancements to these games is a no-no. Well, see, that's a potentially kind of a vague thing to have floating around there if it's true. It could very easily stop them from doing ports to the PC. It depends on what the actual agreed upon language is.

We can't know, we won't know, and I suggest to any new comers, even though this is a new and improved 3D Realms, just trust some of us old dogs, it's best you not go off on a sugar rush of excited glee at "new" or "revisited" Duke Nukem content until a press release makes it to the front page and remains unmolested by the army of game company lawyers.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #20
Micky C

3DR aren't allowed to make and sell new content for any of their old games.

The grey area is when they do a port of a game, and maybe tweak a few things here and there, and sell it as self-contained game on a new platform. How much tweaking can you do before "new content" has been made? And when the game is released on a new platform for the first time with a few extras, are you paying for the game itself and the extras are free, or are you paying for everything?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #21
Nacho

I enjoyed both Time to Kill and most of what I played of Land of the Babes... sadly never got around to Zero Hour. I'd be very into the idea or a re-release of some kind.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I can't say enough how awesome Zero Hour is.
If there was ever a chance it could be brought to PC I would not only be ungodly happy, I'd buy it instantly.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
DirtyFexen
They've shown that they have the Time To Kill source code, with any luck hopefully they've got the source code for Zero Hour too. I'd buy it as soon as it was released. Even if they don't have the source code they can bring Zero Hour to the Nintendo Wii and Wii-U virtual console as it uses emulation to run the games. The same goes for Time To Kill and Land of the Babes as PSOne Classics on the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 also uses emulation.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
Sillygostly
I would love to be able to buy rereleases of forgotten Duke Nukem console games that were originally released on Nintendo hardware. Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem: Zero Hour could be rereleased in the Nintendo eShop for Wii U at some point in the future (N64 games haven't launched yet though, but it's only a matter of time). I would also like to see a rerelease of the Duke Nukem games for the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance. I managed to find the GBA game on eBay a couple of years ago and I thought it was terrific.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #25
DirtyFexen
Duke Nukem Advance would be great to bring over to the Wii-U and 3DS virtual console. I remember it being pretty fun on GBA.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #26
Commando Nukem

Arguably one of the best action games on the GBA console. Duke Advanced is a very impressive little game. Made those long road trips to the grandparents a lot more interesting.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
evilemperorzorg

Haven't been around for a while... I just hope new ideas will follow with the fresh start. Not only ports and old titles re-releases. Shaddow Warrior 2 is what I'm waiting for : D

Anyway, I would love those 3 games on Steam or so. Loved both PS1 titles but never had the chance to play Zero Hour.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #28
DirtyFexen
Does 3D Realms have a raw version of this artwork?

Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
Commando Nukem

Smile Re: Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Zero Hour Re-Releases?
Quote:
Does 3D Realms have a raw version of this artwork?

Yeah. This one and the full TTK poster would be AWESOME downloadable pieces. I'd love to see the full unmolested TTK one without any of the words/pictures covering up all the time lines. There's so much detail packed in there... oi.

^my photoslop.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
K100

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7434-j...14#entry196114
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #31
fast-1

This is quite strange, can 3D Realms release these old Duke games, What happened to N-Space developer.

Don't know if all the law and old companies are letting the old come back.
It is very complicated that they can do anything with this.
Why ?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #32
DirtyFexen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post
This is quite strange, can 3D Realms release these old Duke games, What happened to N-Space developer.

Don't know if all the law and old companies are letting the old come back.
It is very complicated that they can do anything with this.
Why ?
3D Realms retains the rights to everything prior to Duke Nukem Forever so they should be free to do as they please with the console titles.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #33
Sillygostly
I'm baffled that they haven't done it yet. Easy revenue.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #34
Commando Nukem

It's not something they can just do with a snap of the fingers. We're talking about properly repackaging games for release on newer consoles/PC. That requires a little more deftness than "eh, here ya go!"
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #35
DirtyFexen
Zero Hour looks very good when rendered in high-resolutions. I wonder what a PC version would look like..

Unfortunately Time To Kill hasn't aged nearly as well...

Last edited by DirtyFexen; 11-08-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #36
The Duke Returns

Nice Pictures
Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #37
dukenukem64
Interesting stuff. I have never completed Land of the Babes or Time to Kill. Would be nice to try them out on a PC though.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
DirtyFexen
After seeing how Zero Hour, Time To Kill and Land of the Babes look on an emulator in high-resolutions I would want Zero Hour to be re-released the most as it is the least dated graphically and gameplay wise. Time To Kill and Land of the Babes are still fun to an extent but they are less focused on action, have many platforming sections and look terrible compared to Zero Hour.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #39
The Dukenator

Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #40
fast-1

Quote:
After seeing how Zero Hour, Time To Kill and Land of the Babes look on an emulator in high-resolutions I would want Zero Hour to be re-released the most as it is the least dated graphically and gameplay wise. Time To Kill and Land of the Babes are still fun to an extent but they are less focused on action, have many platforming sections and look terrible compared to Zero Hour.
I thought the exact opposite, but I never played Zero hour.

I'm .