Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
HailToTheKing1997

Help Preserve Duke Nukem Forever
Though Duke Nukem Forever was a massive disappointment for most, the game is unquestionably a piece of gaming history that should be preserved. As all of you likely know, the XBOX One will be gaining backwards compatibility towards the end of 2015. However, not every XBOX 360 game will be playable. Microsoft is currently in the process of building an XBOX 360 emulator for the XBOX One and, sadly, each game needs a separate emulator inside the XBOX 360 emulator. To choose which games will make the cut, Microsoft has a section on their website where you can vote for what games you want to be supported. Duke Nukem Forever is, unfortunately for some, losing horribly. So, what can Duke Nukem Forever fans do? Linked below will be the page where you can vote for the game. Please go there and vote for it. We can't allow such a huge piece of gaming history to be left behind when XBOX Live for the XBOX 360 is shut down. Thank you for your help.

Duke Nukem Forever's Vote Page:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/29...-nukem-forever
Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
X-Vector

Re: Help Preserve Duke Nukem Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailToTheKing1997 View Post
[...]Duke Nukem Forever was a massive disappointment for most, the game is unquestionably a piece of gaming history that should be [...] left behind [...]
All snideness aside, I wish you good luck with your endeavour (you could try over here as well), but it seems rather pointless.
Seeing the one that got away on top of that list hurts though.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Lunick Fiore

The game exists on PC though in the exact same form...
Old 06-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yeah... the PC version is still available. Fully playable, and honestly... a much, MUCH better game then the 360 version.
The 360 version is actually the worst of the three. The PS3 version isn't much better, but it is better.

And, when the "Xbox 360 is shut down"?
Microsoft will cut off support for the 360 at some point, that doesn't mean you will be forced to pack yours up and never touch it again.
I still have my NES and PS2 hooked up and play games on them. And, by some off chance that I ever do actually get one of the newer consoles (very doubtful) I'll keep my 360 and PS3. I'll just move them to a different room.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
TurtleBarbecue
duke nukem forever on 360 had terrible loading times. man you could order a pizza waiting for those levels to load. when I went to pc version , I think I loved the game for the wrong reasons gigity. I wonder if it were playable on xbox one would the superior hardware get the loading times down.

I blindly buy anything with dukes name on it. damn wtf was I double dipping on this game for? rather get another pizza? although pc multiplayer community was fun for a while. graphics better...... resolution..... mouse and keyboard..... ill just stop . no masterrace mindset here. ahem.
Last edited by TurtleBarbecue; 06-19-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Yeah... the PC version is still available. Fully playable, and honestly... a much, MUCH better game then the 360 version.
The 360 version is actually the worst of the three. The PS3 version isn't much better, but it is better.

And, when the "Xbox 360 is shut down"?
Microsoft will cut off support for the 360 at some point, that doesn't mean you will be forced to pack yours up and never touch it again.
I still have my NES and PS2 hooked up and play games on them. And, by some off chance that I ever do actually get one of the newer consoles (very doubtful) I'll keep my 360 and PS3. I'll just move them to a different room.
And for non-PC gamers? Also, on a side note, once XBOX Live goes down, it will become IMPOSSIBLE to 100% the game.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

If or when Xbox LIVE support for the 360 is pulled, the only part of the game you will won't be able to play is the MP.

So, for non PC players, you'll still be able to experience the single player campaign. And, your solution only affects Xbox players. What about those that played it on PS3?

Sorry, but, even though I enjoyed DNF for what it was, I also am fully aware that the mainstay staples of the platform will be the ones that get the support.
Specially with the Duke "fanbase" as fractured as it is. So many claiming they are "true" Duke fans and that those that like DNF are not Duke fans.
And those that did like DNF saying those that hated it are not Duke fans.

You'll never get them all on the same page.

Sorry, but it's the passage of time. New consoles come, older ones fall behind. And games fade away. But, even if/when DNF is no longer playable online... you can still play the campaign.
And even past that... the industry will not forget the "legacy" that was DNF's development cycle. Some will view it as a joke, others... an experience and journey. It is what it is.
But, voting and trying to drag it to another platform isn't going to change that history.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Stevey Boy

Just play it on Steam, as it's miles better than the 360 version.

Also, keep the 360 game and your 360 console.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey Boy View Post
Just play it on Steam, as it's miles better than the 360 version.

Also, keep the 360 game and your 360 console.

Don't own a capable PC or the knowledge of computers to get into PC gaming. As for keeping the game and my 360, that's what I intend on doing. However, as said, once XBOX Live goes down, it'll become impossible to 100% the game due to the inability to play online matches.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
The game exists on PC though in the exact same form...
Not a PC gamer.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Sad.

As DNF is a PC game that was ported (rather poorly) to the Xbox 360. The PC version is the intended version of the game. Or as close as we'll ever get to the intended version.

And really, it doesn't take much in the way of knowledge to get into PC gaming. Now, I don't mean that as an insult by any means. It's just that it's not as difficult a platform to embrace as some like to make it out to be.
Specially if you find the right community. There are plenty out there more then willing to help new comers discover the platform. And, it's more then worth it.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Sad.

As DNF is a PC game that was ported (rather poorly) to the Xbox 360. The PC version is the intended version of the game. Or as close as we'll ever get to the intended version.

And really, it doesn't take much in the way of knowledge to get into PC gaming. Now, I don't mean that as an insult by any means. It's just that it's not as difficult a platform to embrace as some like to make it out to be.
Specially if you find the right community. There are plenty out there more then willing to help new comers discover the platform. And, it's more then worth it.
We'll see. However, on the grounds that I'm technologically illiterate, I don't see it going too well. Not only that, but I have to invest in a much more capable PC before I go anywhere near PC gaming. I do want to get into it, don't get me wrong. With games like the leaked Half-Life beta, Half-Life 2 (can't stand the horrendous frame rate of the original XBOX version), and Duke Nukem Forever 2013, I'm slowly being sucked into the metaphorical doors to the PC master race.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
The Dukenator

Quote:
Don't own a capable PC or the knowledge of computers to get into PC gaming. As for keeping the game and my 360, that's what I intend on doing. However, as said, once XBOX Live goes down, it'll become impossible to 100% the game due to the inability to play online matches.
Considering that DNF does not have any multiplayer achievements.
As for Xbox Live, I don't see it going offline anytime soon. Its up to Microsoft to support xbox 360 as long as they can.

Plus you could plead to make it playable on xbox one as part of its backward compatibility.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
Considering that DNF does not have any multiplayer achievements.
As for Xbox Live, I don't see it going offline anytime soon. Its up to Microsoft to support xbox 360 as long as they can.

Plus you could plead to make it playable on xbox one as part of its backward compatibility.
"My Digs" unlocks
End of year/sometime next year
The point of this thread is to get people to vote there
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
The Dukenator

Quote:
"My Digs" unlocks
End of year/sometime next year
The point of this thread is to get people to vote there
There are those who never played DNF on any system.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

And there are those like me that never once touched the MP portion of the game.

Because... it's MP.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
There are those who never played DNF on any system.
Alright. And?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #17
rodrigames
Would you guys believe that you've been talking about your skepticism for so long, Duke Nukem Forever already out-ranks Banjo-Kazooie by twenty-five votes, even now that Banjo-Kazooie is already a winner of an approval for backwards-compatibility by the Xbox One? I'm not saying that this topic is any of my business, just because I don't bother to even ask any of my four brothers for a turn on any of their consoles released since the Xbox 360 almost ten years ago (Here in the continent of North America to say the least) and I'm fine upgrading from one version of Windows to another while still sporting the Sony PlayStation 1 and Nintendo 64 in order to play their respective spin-offs in the Duke Nukem series, but I decided to take a quick look at what you guys are so skeptical about and immediately give you guys the good news that you're saying you didn't see coming. You're welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen of 3D Realms.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
The Dukenator

Gearbox still has has to okay it before Microsoft can do an xbox one compatible version.
As for Banjo Kazooie, its already listed. Rare Replay contains Banjo Kazooie and other Rare games, which is coming out in August for xbox one. It'll reuse the older saves from what I recall.
The xbox one backward compatibility is already in the console preview and will be out for all next year.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #19
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigames View Post
Would you guys believe that you've been talking about your skepticism for so long, Duke Nukem Forever already out-ranks Banjo-Kazooie by twenty-five votes, even now that Banjo-Kazooie is already a winner of an approval for backwards-compatibility by the Xbox One? I'm not saying that this topic is any of my business, just because I don't bother to even ask any of my four brothers for a turn on any of their consoles released since the Xbox 360 almost ten years ago (Here in the continent of North America to say the least) and I'm fine upgrading from one version of Windows to another while still sporting the Sony PlayStation 1 and Nintendo 64 in order to play their respective spin-offs in the Duke Nukem series, but I decided to take a quick look at what you guys are so skeptical about and immediately give you guys the good news that you're saying you didn't see coming. You're welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen of 3D Realms.
Well. Let's hope Gearbox approves of it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #20
rodrigames
I wouldn't be surprised if they do, because Gearbox might need the royalties they can get out of this.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #21
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigames View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they do, because Gearbox might need the royalties they can get out of this.
I'm confused by this as Gearbox owns the Duke IP, plus they have other games to work on.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #22
The Duke Returns

What about Duke 3D I see it on the list does gearbox need to give it the ok or does 3DRealms do?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #23
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem IP from DNF forward.

Anything before DNF is 3DRealms property.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #24
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke Returns View Post
What about Duke 3D I see it on the list does gearbox need to give it the ok or does 3DRealms do?
3D Realms. Gearbox owns the Duke licence, but anything 3D Realms made (prior to Forever) still belongs to them. That's why they can legally sell Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and all of Duke Nukem 3D's expansions.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #25
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
3D Realms. Gearbox owns the Duke licence, but anything 3D Realms made (prior to Forever) still belongs to them. That's why they can legally sell Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and all of Duke Nukem 3D's expansions.
and Manhattan Project. which is also up for that vote along with Duke3D XBLA.

As for 360 Live going offline, I can't see that at all. They're STILL SELLING 360 units NEW guys. Plus they're just starting up on the backwards compatibility, which will have it's own Xbox Live. They're not shutting it down when they're putting that much effort into keeping that ecosystem going.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #26
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
and Manhattan Project. which is also up for that vote along with Duke3D XBLA.

As for 360 Live going offline, I can't see that at all. They're STILL SELLING 360 units NEW guys. Plus they're just starting up on the backwards compatibility, which will have it's own Xbox Live. They're not shutting it down when they're putting that much effort into keeping that ecosystem going.
Right. Forgot about that one. But wasn't it confirmed that XBOX Live is being shut down? I've had multiple people (that I know) tell me that. Obviously, that doesn't prove that it's true. I just assumed that they must have had legitimate sources for what they were telling me. Since Microsoft never said that they weren't shutting it down, I figured it had to be more than just a rumor.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #27
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
But wasn't it confirmed that XBOX Live is being shut down?
No.

Think. If they were pushing a *NEW* initiative for Xbox One Backwards Compatibility *AND* also still selling Xbox 360s BRAND NEW today..

They wouldn't be considering shutting down Xbox LIVE for the 360. I don't see how anyone can see where this is a realistic option!

Also the word "confirmed" means that the person who is in control of the thing would have stated this is happening. If you can prove a Microsoft link or something from Major Nelson that says this, only then is it "confirmed". Anything else is merely rumor. Or more likely, someone making it up.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
No.

Think. If they were pushing a *NEW* initiative for Xbox One Backwards Compatibility *AND* also still selling Xbox 360s BRAND NEW today..

They wouldn't be considering shutting down Xbox LIVE for the 360. I don't see how anyone can see where this is a realistic option!

Also the word "confirmed" means that the person who is in control of the thing would have stated this is happening. If you can prove a Microsoft link or something from Major Nelson that says this, only then is it "confirmed". Anything else is merely rumor. Or more likely, someone making it up.
As explained below, for a while now, I've been hearing of it's being shut down in a year from countless sources. Based on the fact that Microsoft never said they weren't shutting it down, I figured it was more than just a rumor. Why let rumors like that spread to become semi-common belief if they're only rumors?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #29
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Why spread rumors that aren't real and unproven/unconfirmed? That's FUD.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #30
Stevey Boy

Quote:
As explained below, for a while now, I've been hearing of it's being shut down in a year from countless sources. Based on the fact that Microsoft never said they weren't shutting it down, I figured it was more than just a rumor. Why let rumors like that spread to become semi-common belief if they're only rumors?
They wont shut down 360 live anytime soon, because as of now, when I play backwards compatible games on my Xbox One, I sign into "360 Live"

All the BC does on Xbox One is emulate the 360 software, so if they shut it down it wouldnt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQuDyWULNU

Quote:
"Millions of people made investments in 360 content," he said. "We thought the right thing to do was to make that content go forward, but we didn't know [how difficult it would be]."

"[Emulation] is hard," admitted Spencer, explaining that the company was dealing with having to harmonise PowerPC architecture with x86.
"The approach that we've taken is to actually emulate the full Xbox 360 hardware layer. So the [operating system] for the 360 is actually running when you run the game," Spencer explained.
"If you watch the game's boot you'll see the Xbox 360 boot animation come up. From a performance standpoint it allows [emulation] to work. We're able to get frame by frame performance equivalents."
"[Xbox Live] thinks you're on a 360, so people have been asking 'hey, why are you playing Mass Effect on the 360?,' I was actually playing on the Xbox One."
Spencer continued to explain that, since the Xbox One thinks it's playing a normal game, features such as streaming and screenshots are supported.
"The 360 games think they're running on the 360 OS, which they are. And the 360 OS thinks its running on the hardware, which it's not, it's running on an emulated VM. On the other side, the Xbox One thinks it's a game. That's why things like streaming, game DVR, and screenshots all work, because it thinks there's just one big game called 360."
Delving deeper, Spencer explained exactly how the emulator packages the Xbox 360 games, and how it compares to Xbox 360's emulation of original Xbox games.
"You download a kind of manifest of wrapper for the 360 game, so we can say 'hey, this is actually Banjo, or this is Mass Effect. The emulator runs exactly the same for all the games.
"I was around when we did the original Xbox [backwards compatibility] for Xbox 360 where we had a shim for every game and it just didn't scale very well. This is actually the same emulator running for all of the games. Different games do different things, as we're rolling them out we'll say 'oh maybe we have to tweak the emulator.' But in the end, the emulator is emulating the 360, so it's for everybody."
Asked about whether Microsoft would require permission from game publishers to adjust game code, Spencer clarified it would not be interfering with code.
"The bits are not touched," he said. "There's some caveats, and as always I like to be as transparent as I can be on this: Kinect games won't work from the 360, because translating between the Kinect sensors is almost impossible."
Finally, the subject of multi-disc games was also addressed. According to Spencer, it's an issue engineers are looking into.
"We're still working on multi-disc," he said. "Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are some of my favourites from the 360. There's actually work in packing a multi-disc into single that requires us to go back and look at the original package on the multiple discs and reconfigure that."
Last edited by Stevey Boy; 07-11-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #31
HailToTheKing1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey Boy View Post
They wont shut down 360 live anytime soon, because as of now, when I play backwards compatible games on my Xbox One, I sign into "360 Live"

All the BC does on Xbox One is emulate the 360 software, so if they shut it down it wouldnt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQuDyWULNU
I'm glad to hear that.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Why spread rumors that aren't real and unproven/unconfirmed? That's FUD.
For both my friends and I, we were sure it was true. Not only are developers leaving the last generation behind, but last generation consoles are almost ten years old. Taking those into consideration and the fact that the XBOX One is gaining backwards compatibility, I think believing in the rumor of Microsoft turning off the 360 servers made sense.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #32
The Dukenator

Quote:
For both my friends and I, we were sure it was true. Not only are developers leaving the last generation behind, but last generation consoles are almost ten years old. Taking those into consideration and the fact that the XBOX One is gaining backwards compatibility, I think believing in the rumor of Microsoft turning off the 360 servers made sense.
Where the hell did this rumor start?

A google search showed a bunch of articles from 2013 claiming that Microsoft will stop supporting 360 in 2016, Sony says similar with their ps3 for 2015.

But it looks like both companies will continue to support the last gen consoles as long as they can. Sony supported the ps2 for over 10 years and they stopped production of it couple years ago.