Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Laptop's wireless stopped working? Help!
Please help!

I have a two-year-old Asus G73 laptop with Win7 64-bit. For some reason my laptop has suddenly lost all of its wireless capability. I hadn't installed, uninstalled or changed anything recently. I just booted the laptop today and couldn't get online.

I have already tried:

-Restarting the laptop
-Shutting it off completely
-Restarting the modem
-Restarting the router
-Resetting my winsock connection
-Uninstalling my wireless adapter and rebooting
-Disabling my antivirus software
-Enabling and disabling the wireless, both in the device manager and by using FN + F2
-Disabling the firewall

Nothing works. I don't think there is a problem with the modem or the router, because my wife's laptop is connected to the Internet as I type this. I definitely think something is wrong with my laptop's wireless card, although I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. I have a wireless printer (Brother MFC-J625DW) and my laptop can't even communicate with that to print documents.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Jeff

Re: Laptop's wireless stopped working? Help!
If it's the notebook's wireless adapter inside it that's the issue, you could try buying a cheap USB Wi-Fi stick and see if it works or not. Process of elimination and all.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Kalki

To eliminate the obvious, does the laptop have a wireless on/off button and have you tried toggling it in case it was accidentally switched off or the button itself is stuck. I was once called in to fix somebody's internet and it took me a while to discover that stupid thing was off.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
To eliminate the obvious, does the laptop have a wireless on/off button and have you tried toggling it in case it was accidentally switched off or the button itself is stuck. I was once called in to fix somebody's internet and it took me a while to discover that stupid thing was off.
Yep, tried that (FN + F2).

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
FullMetalJacket
Solved, maybe? It turns out that a terrible McAfee antivirus update blocks users from connecting to the internet. I tried using the workarounds listed here http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS101446 but still couldn't connect, so I used brute-force technique and disabled McAfee entirely.

So I can get online, but now my computer is at risk... so I'm going with Microsoft Security Essentials for protection until I can figure something else out.

Thank you for the replies.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good or better than McAfee. No need for a workaround.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good or better than McAfee. No need for a workaround.
+1 for MSE...

I really dislike McAfee.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
8IronBob

I know Kaspersky is pretty good, but it's just too damned expensive.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
ixfd64

I know this is getting off-topic, but have you tried Avira? There is a free edition, and people say it's pretty good.

Visit my forums!