Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
johnjupiter

Yingyang Duke Nukem 3D on PSN?
It's great news that XBLA got DN3D but what's going on with Playstation Network? Did 3D Realms ever talk with SCEA yet? I have a PS3 and I don't have an XBOX 360 much less have the will to pay to be online with it. Just wondering. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Yatta

Re: Duke Nukem 3D on PSN?
Not gonna happen, for the same reason the original Doom didn't make it to PSN.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
Not gonna happen, for the same reason the original Doom didn't make it to PSN.
What was that reason Exclusive?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Yatta

I'd say there's not much money in it, and as such, isn't worth the bother.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
rockmanekuzu8

Dang it, then I will just have to buy a 360 First then a PS3 since these 2 Games, Duke 3D and DNF are going to release on it...
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
gt1750

I'd love to see it on PSN since XBox Live is not available in Czech Republic

"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D
"One day when I get rich and win the lottery I'll buy the rights to DNF and finish it myself." - Yatta
Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #7
NineT9 mustang
Yea count me one of the many thatd want it on the PS3

Mouse&Keyboard!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
KaiserSoze

PSN needs Duke love too. Glad I got a 360 though.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
themaniacboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanekuzu8 View Post
Dang it, then I will just have to buy a 360 First then a PS3 since these 2 Games, Duke 3D and DNF are going to release on it...
Aint official yet,but anyways i would love to see Duke on PSN
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
johnjupiter

There is just as much market.
There are just as many people that would want it on their PS3 too. Duke was on PSOne so someone must have experience with porting Duke. I don't see why it wouldn't be a possiblility.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
peoplessi

PSN has one problem, you are able to share your game with friends, unless that is forbidden. Some smaller games can be shared with 5 friends, meaning loss in sales - if you wan't to see it like that. Also, seeing how it does on XBLA first gives a hint would it be wise endeavour to embark on.

Still, it needs more work than just pressing few buttons to compile it for PS3 and PSN.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjupiter View Post
It's great news that XBLA got DN3D but what's going on with Playstation Network? Did 3D Realms ever talk with SCEA yet? I have a PS3 and I don't have an XBOX 360 much less have the will to pay to be online with it. Just wondering. Thanks!
That's up to George, plus he did comment on it in another thread. One of the reasons the Duke3D game was done was an exercise for possible future interfacing with Xbox Live and the larger project we're working on.

And please folks - no holy wars about PS3 vs 360. There's been enough of that kind of garbage; it never gets anyone anywhere.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
JobivanHiob

C'mon George Playstation is cool too. Bring it on.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
johnjupiter

[QUOTE-Joe Siegler] "That's up to George, plus he did comment on it in another thread. One of the reasons the Duke3D game was done was an exercise for possible future interfacing with Xbox Live and the larger project we're working on. "

Well I don't see why there would be no "exercise" regarding the Playstation Network and coding with regards to "future interfacing" and the "larger project". Also, what was GB's comment? I didn't see it.

And I'm not trying to start Holy Wars, I simply don't have a kick-ass computer or a 360.
Last edited by johnjupiter; 08-22-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
rev6605

ya, people with the PS3 are being left behind . i would buy a new 360 for duke, but thatd b the ONLY game i EVER play on it. i would love to get some ps3 love

and BTW that friend share junk on the PSN is easily disabled by the dev. when u buy a game on the PSN (most of them) do NOT allow sharing. for example, i bought Warhawk on it, and i cant share it. .
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
themaniacboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev6605 View Post
ya, people with the PS3 are being left behind . i would buy a new 360 for duke, but thatd b the ONLY game i EVER play on it. i would love to get some ps3 love

and BTW that friend share junk on the PSN is easily disabled by the dev. when u buy a game on the PSN (most of them) do NOT allow sharing. for example, i bought Warhawk on it, and i cant share it. .

but we can still play the old Duke games,like time to kill,zero hour.total meltdown and Land of the babes on the ps3 as far im aware off.

so no need to worry about that we are left behind
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaniacboy View Post
but we can still play the old Duke games,like time to kill,zero hour.total meltdown and Land of the babes on the ps3 as far im aware off.
Depends which version of the Playstation 3 you have purchased I don't have that option here
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
TBZ

I think that PS1 games still work even if the PS2 games doesn't.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBZ View Post
I think that PS1 games still work even if the PS2 games doesn't.
Yeah? Sony has made it pretty bloody confusing.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
TBZ

I'm not sure though, someone else has to confirm it.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 AM   #21
mct783
My PS3 is backwards compatible.. I didn't know there were any that wasn't. I got the 80GB though.

Duke Nukem 3D was listed as an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive... not putting words in the staff's mouth but usually that means no Virtual Console or PSN. It'd be awesome to release DN64 for the Virtual Console though, I'd game it up

Hmmm, has that idea been kicked around?
Last edited by mct783; 08-24-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #22
themaniacboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Depends which version of the Playstation 3 you have purchased I don't have that option here

Doesnt matter,i think it was only with PS2 games

we can purchase PS1 Games online on PSN Store
Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #23
foleyben
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct783 View Post
My PS3 is backwards compatible.. I didn't know there were any that wasn't. I got the 80GB though.

Duke Nukem 3D was listed as an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive... not putting words in the staff's mouth but usually that means no Virtual Console or PSN. It'd be awesome to release DN64 for the Virtual Console though, I'd game it up

Hmmm, has that idea been kicked around?

I wouldn't go reading to much into the word "exclusive", remember how exclusive "Bioshock" is? It's been mentioned by Joe "That's up to George"(as above) and he goes on to say "Duke3D game was done was an exercise for possible future interfacing with Xbox Live and the larger project" and if the larger project is DNF then Scott Miller has already said about "hitting the big three(PS3, XB360, Wii). So there is every chance that Duke3d will be hitting PSN just like it has XBLA.

Its really not my place to comment but there is evidence that is against what you've said. There is nothing to say that we should'nt expect to see Duke3D on PSN or virtual console.

I'm sure Joe is best to address this anyway, he's the man with the facts
Last edited by foleyben; 08-24-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #24
themaniacboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleyben View Post
I wouldn't go reading to much into the word "exclusive", remember how exclusive "Bioshock" is? It's been mentioned by Joe "That's up to George"(as above) and he goes on to say "Duke3D game was done was an exercise for possible future interfacing with Xbox Live and the larger project" and if the larger project is DNF then Scott Miller has already said about "hitting the big three(PS3, XB360, Wii). So there is every chance that Duke3d will be hitting PSN just like it has XBLA.

Its really not my place to comment but there is evidence that is against what you've said. There is nothing to say that we should'nt expect to see Duke3D on PSN or virtual console.

i thought the big three (PS3,Xbox 360,PC) was
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #25
foleyben
Quote:
i thought the big three (PS3,Xbox 360,PC) was
Your right, my mistake. thankyou.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #26
themaniacboy

Quote:
Your right, my mistake. thankyou.
no problem
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #27
ZaphodB

I dunno, the number of Wii consoles in the U.S. is more than Xbox360 and PS3 combined (not starting an argument, just a fact of numbers in sales). If you were just gonna do it on a "numbers" thing, the Wii would be the way to go. I think 3DR is doing it on the Xbox360 for reasons unbeknown to us. (Although I'm guessing it has to do with DNF. PS3 sales are the lowest and also the most expensive. Even though the Wii has more sales, I don't think it's powerful enough to run something like DNF). If you don't believe the above mentioned about sales, look it up, there are several sources(not bothering to repost what has been posted SEVERAL times), and they all say the same thing. So I really don't see Duke 3D coming out for the PS3 or the Wii (although it would be nice).
Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
foleyben
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodB View Post
I dunno, the number of Wii consoles in the U.S. is more than Xbox360 and PS3 combined (not starting an argument, just a fact of numbers in sales). If you were just gonna do it on a "numbers" thing, the Wii would be the way to go. I think 3DR is doing it on the Xbox360 for reasons unbeknown to us. (Although I'm guessing it has to do with DNF. PS3 sales are the lowest and also the most expensive. Even though the Wii has more sales, I don't think it's powerful enough to run something like DNF). If you don't believe the above mentioned about sales, look it up, there are several sources(not bothering to repost what has been posted SEVERAL times), and they all say the same thing. So I really don't see Duke 3D coming out for the PS3 or the Wii (although it would be nice).
There is no chance of DNF(in its current state) running on the Wii, i doubt even a dumbed down version would work.

id like to remain optimistic about Duke3d on PS3. The more people it reaches the better.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
themaniacboy

Quote:

It will reach Next-gen Consoles for Sure.
it would be unfair against the PS3 owners if they won't get a DNF on their Console
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #30
MegaMustaine

It is not about fair or unfair, it is about profitability. That is life. If there is a chance to make a project that could have a considerable profit than 3DR would consider it and if not well then that is that. DNF doesn't have to come to anything. It will be ported to what can run it and what makes sense profit wise. Same with DN3D. If there was a big enough demand for it on the PSN or Wii than I could see DN3D being ported there. Thing is, I really don't see the demand outside of a few 3DR forum guys who own a PS3 or Wii.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #31
ZaphodB

Quote:
There is no chance of DNF(in its current state) running on the Wii, i doubt even a dumbed down version would work.
I agree, that's what I said in that I don't think the Wii is powerful enough.

Quote:
It will reach Next-gen Consoles for Sure.
it would be unfair against the PS3 owners if they won't get a DNF on their Console
I have never seen "fairness" enter the gaming market. If it did, things like Halo2&3 would be available for XP users (just an example that popped out the top of my head. The list of games only for one platform or another is HUGE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
It is not about fair or unfair, it is about profitability. That is life. If there is a chance to make a project that could have a considerable profit than 3DR would consider it and if not well then that is that. DNF doesn't have to come to anything. It will be ported to what can run it and what makes sense profit wise. Same with DN3D. If there was a big enough demand for it on the PSN or Wii than I could see DN3D being ported there. Thing is, I really don't see the demand outside of a few 3DR forum guys who own a PS3 or Wii.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
themaniacboy

Quote:
I agree, that's what I said in that I don't think the Wii is powerful enough.

I have never seen "fairness" enter the gaming market. If it did, things like Halo2&3 would be available for XP users (just an example that popped out the top of my head. The list of games only for one platform or another is HUGE)

I couldn't have said it better.
But why they wouldn't release it for the PS3 ?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #33
Hudson

I'd buy it
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #34
mct783
Quote:

True, that's why I said I wasn't putting words in the staff's mouth.

Personally I could care less if it hit PSN, because XBL has the potential for more people to play it online. I'll definitely have it for my 360.

But my idea that struck me last night - has there been any talk of Duke Nukem 64 being released on Vritual Console? It's a Nintendo 64 game, and even if DN3D turns out to be an 'XBOX Exclusive', DN64 is a different version of the game (and IMO funner singleplayer). It wouldn't require online multiplayer support, just a direct port from N64 to Virtual Console- I think it would probably be easier than the DN3D XBLA port. And as mentioned before, there are more Wii consoles in circulation than 360 and PS3 (most 360 and PS3 owners own a Wii as well, I know I do), and many of the Wii users outside of the younger fanbase use it almost exclusively for its Virtual Console capabilities, where as XBLA doesn't get as much attention as the rest of XBL.

Just a thought - def not trying to start a holy war, just seeing what others think of the DN64 to Virtual Console idea...

Oh yea, to stay on topic....

I would think a PS3 port would be harder to make than an XBLA or VC port? Virtual Console is almost a direct port from DN64, and XBLA more than likely required little modification due to the fact that it's running on a Microsoft console. I haven't been to PSN store in a while, but all I seen them selling for a while was PSX, PSP, and other Playstation type games, and there may be a reason for that. Just a thought/question.
Last edited by mct783; 08-24-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #35
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

OK, that's about enough. Only George can answer if there's a PSN port of Duke3D coming - I don't know of one. The other bits don't really warrant talk here, since this is a thread that is started and closed with a simple question - anything beyond an answer to the question is not relevant, IMO.

We don't need more "holy war" threads. We need less.

Plus what DNF may or may not be ported to is something we have asked folks not to discuss - see locked sticky thread in DNF forum.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16